Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21 | 06:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
It's nice that some of you throw away a ton of money each month into expensive car payments. Some of us don't want that. There is nothing I would buy for an EV that is considered affordable. It's all garbage with a lot of them being Bots or Leafs or some Ford Focus electric thing that gets about 65 miles of range and is ugly. Therefore, the only electric cars out there that I would consider cost 50-60k+ such as a Polestar or something. Then you have to get your house set up to charge so it doesn't take 3 days to charge enough to drive 200 miles.

Meanwhile, I love my ES and I don't care it's 10 years old. It's quiet, fast, smooth, lots of room, pretty good on gas considering, and it's stylish to me. It will also never break. I paid $12k for my ES 350 and even with gas at $4 a gallon here in Washington, I'm only paying about $600 a month (payment, gas, and insurance). An EV that isn't some junker like a Leaf or Bolt will cost way more than $600 just for the vehicle itself. Then you have to factor in higher insurance costs because the car is new and the cost to charge is just going to go up over time as more EV's get on the road. Not to mention that it's inconvenient. That $600 I'm paying will probably go down to about $550 in the next month or two, by the way, with cheaper gas prices being a possibility.

So long story short: If you want to throw tons of money each month on electric driving, go right ahead. For most of us though, that's okay we'll pass.
This is a Lexus forum lol, the majority of us have means and are going to buy new cars every few years whether they are EVs or not. Since you buy old cars you will obviously be way down the line before you would buy an EV.

I see myself probably having one more ICE round of cars in me, and then my guess is I will have at least one EV. Both my cars are replaced every 3 years.
Old 12-20-21 | 06:19 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Your the only one I know who says they drove an EV and didn't say they could never go back. Yeah, you are missing something for sure. I get when people say I don't want to plug in an EV and wait, that's understandable. But I would bet my life that if they drove one they would change their minds. As much as ICE has advanced, it is in no way as efficient as an EV motor, nor can it even come near producing the power as cheaply. V8's, V10's, V12 etc are expensive, inefficient and extremely wasteful when comparing to the tiny motors of an EV than can be fitted directly on the drivetrain
You honestly think that people buying 911s, new Sclass, Range Rover, X5 etc never tested an EV?! Sure they have.

Was I impressed by Tesla performance? Sure but my expectations were very low. I think it drove and handled well. Was it better than a BMW 3-Series in terms of dynamics? No but its close.

The EQS is very nice and smooth. Its smaller inside than Sclass and has weird exterior styling otherwise its a winner. Interior is nice and the driving inputs are very Mercedes. You don’t notice its an EV.

We are at the beginning stages of EVs currently- by 2030 we will have many more exciting/cool options. Once they can make these batteries lighter so you can have a sports car at under 3,500lbs then i can get excited.

The emotions that engines and exhaust noises bring can’t be duplicated by EVs. Even on my X3 - the exhaust is LOUD as i have the flaps opened permanently. It gives me joy hearing it during a long day.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-20-21 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-20-21 | 06:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
You honestly think that people buying 911s, new Sclass, Range Rover, X5 etc never tested an EV?! Sure they have.

Was I impressed by Tesla performance? Sure but my expectations were very low. I think it drove and handled well. Was it better than a BMW 3-Series in terms of dynamics? No but its close.

The EQS is very nice and smooth. Its smaller inside than Sclass and has weird exterior styling otherwise its a winner. Interior is nice and the driving inputs are very Mercedes. You don’t notice its an EV.
I think the vast majority of them have in fact never driven an EV.
Old 12-20-21 | 06:30 PM
GXLEXD
Driver School Candidate

I've driven EVs and I don't like the trend...in some sense they're so simple (mechanically) and so technology laden they're not attractive to me as a luxury item...I see them more as a commodity...thus not exciting. And from a commodity perspective they don't have good range. Following that, It seems to me the sweet spot for boring transportation is a plug in hybrid.
Old 12-20-21 | 06:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GXLEXD
I've driven EVs and I don't like the trend...in some sense they're so simple (mechanically) and so technology laden they're not attractive to me as a luxury item...I see them more as a commodity...thus not exciting.
Yep, both new EV and ICE vehicles are absolutely molested with excessive tech, I just can't take any car with a ridiculous TV dash seriously.
Old 12-20-21 | 06:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

AMIRZA786 et al, this thread is NOT about solar power, electric bills, etc.

Reminder about what it's about...

i do not find ANY new ICE cars interesting. That's because their innovation rate now pales in comparison to the leaps and bounds forward with EVs.

is anyone else feeling the same way?
Old 12-20-21 | 06:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Someone mentioned me getting a Macan EV next time around... well it has to exist first before i could consider it.

one reason i likely would not is because my santa fe is my work vehicle. A macan would probably be too nice and expensive.
Old 12-20-21 | 06:43 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is a Lexus forum lol, the majority of us have means and are going to buy new cars every few years whether they are EVs or not. Since you buy old cars you will obviously be way down the line before you would buy an EV.

I see myself probably having one more ICE round of cars in me, and then my guess is I will have at least one EV. Both my cars are replaced every 3 years.
Buying a $50-60k car is the financially conservative thing to do for many on this forum...its like a year in private school lol. It also doesn't buy you much..a base 3 series or Model 3 which is hardly luxurious or splurging in the luxury realm. I don't think i'd ever get a used car again...life is too short wondering who the hell drove it before me
Old 12-20-21 | 06:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think the vast majority of them have in fact never driven an EV.
I can only speak on what i see around in me in real life and also various forums. Almost everyone i know has driven an EV especially a Tesla, most ppl on BMW/Porsche forums i visit have done so as well, same as here on CL.

I had some coworkers and friends get them but again more for the gadgets that Tesla offers rather that its an EV.
Old 12-20-21 | 06:49 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i do not find ANY new ICE cars interesting. That's because their innovation rate now pales in comparison to the leaps and bounds forward with EVs.

I think the EVs are better daily drivers so anything with that use case, nothing in ICE land does it for me. If I were towing or doing a lot of camping, a nice F150 ICE would be nice or if I wanted a weekend car, the Miata RF would be what I would want. But in reality, I don't need a truck or weekend sports car as my life is hectic enough with the kids so i just only need a daily driver.
Old 12-20-21 | 06:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

What exactly do you find so innovative about EVs?
Old 12-20-21 | 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, to be honest, I think too much emphasis is being placed on "innovation". While I'm not against all change (witness, for example, the last three vehicles I've owned have been almost all-new designs less than year old), I'm also a firm believer that if something is not broke, don't fix it. A prefect example is the E-shifter in the Lacrosse, which, although I liked the rest of the car, was one of the most unintuitive pieces of hardware I have ever seen inside a vehicle. The lever was always in the same position no matter what gear you were in, and you had to spring it forward and L-shape to the left for reverse, only to have it spring back to the center-stop. You flicked it back to go into manual mode.....then flicked it back again in the same direction to put it back in Drive. Whoever designed that piece of crap must have been puffing on one of Elon's joints LOL.
Old 12-20-21 | 06:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

You know, in the long term the electronic watch was supposed to kill the antiquated mechanical watch, but that hasn't happen, quite the contrary. While I personally don't care about watches, I can most certainly appreciate the fine mechanisms that make mechanical watches tick, and all the precision and craftsmanship behind them. Electronic watches, meh. I understand the internal complexity of the microchip that makes electronic watches "tick", but they seem to lack soul. Same could be said for the electric vehicles.
Old 12-20-21 | 06:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Have you seen the new Sclass, Range Rover, Genesis G90, all the new sports cars even the Corvette.

Tell me ONE EV that even comes close to these products?!
Tesla Model S - one trick pony with 10yr old styling
Lucid Air - $100k for a Buick design with average interior and no brand name/history
MB EQS - nothing that is not available in new Sclass except in much uglier package
Rivian, Hummer, F150 Lightning- all these are generic designs that offer nothing innovative but cost WAY more than comparable ICE vehicle.

what am I missing?
Old 12-20-21 | 07:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Buying a $50-60k car is the financially conservative thing to do for many on this forum...its like a year in private school lol. It also doesn't buy you much..a base 3 series or Model 3 which is hardly luxurious or splurging in the luxury realm. I don't think i'd ever get a used car again...life is too short wondering who the hell drove it before me
Yup, totally!

I can only speak on what i see around in me in real life and also various forums. Almost everyone i know has driven an EV especially a Tesla, most ppl on BMW/Porsche forums i visit have done so as well, same as here on CL.
And I know almost no one who doesnt have a Tesla that has driven a Tesla. Of course people on forums have, they aren't general consumers.

Have you seen the new Sclass, Range Rover, Genesis G90, all the new sports cars even the Corvette.

Tell me ONE EV that even comes close to these products?!
When you realize that 50% of the vehicles you listed are coming out in pure EV form confirmed, there's your point.

Quick Reply: anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?