Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21 | 07:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
You honestly think that people buying 911s, new Sclass, Range Rover, X5 etc never tested an EV?! Sure they have.

Was I impressed by Tesla performance? Sure but my expectations were very low. I think it drove and handled well. Was it better than a BMW 3-Series in terms of dynamics? No but its close.

The EQS is very nice and smooth. Its smaller inside than Sclass and has weird exterior styling otherwise its a winner. Interior is nice and the driving inputs are very Mercedes. You don’t notice its an EV.

We are at the beginning stages of EVs currently- by 2030 we will have many more exciting/cool options. Once they can make these batteries lighter so you can have a sports car at under 3,500lbs then i can get excited.
I know several Tesla owners who own 911's, brand new $120k M series BMW etc because they are rich and they can, but the funny thing is 99 percent of the time they drive their Tesla. My wife's nephew who owned a new condition 1988 930 Turbo with 35K on it recently sold it and now owns a Model 3. Our companies CFO own a Model X, Jaguar and BMW X series, only his wife drives the other cars, while he mainly drives the Model X. I could go on and on. So basically drivers from high performance ICE cars easily transition to EV, but you will rarely find an EV driver transitioning back once they had a taste.

But this being California and all may not be the best of examples, so I would say the people you described definitely have no experience with EV'S. I can say this because I am part of both worlds.

No matter how you spin it, it's way cheaper to make efficient smooth power from electric motors. They can also be placed directly on drivetrains to make AWD, RWD. Or FWD without taking up room. To get equivalent power from ice is more expensive, and modding for more power is expensive. I know, I've done it. Just to get 450 WHP from my IS350 is $6,500 for an RR Racing SC, plus bolt on's are another $3k to $4k. Tune is another $500. Now my MPG's drop to 14 or 15 mpg and reliability is out the window
Old 12-20-21 | 07:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I know several Tesla owners who own 911's, brand new $120k M series BMW etc because they are rich and they can, but the funny thing is 99 percent of the time they drive their Tesla. My wife's nephew who owned a new condition 1988 930 Turbo with 35K on it recently sold it and now owns a Model 3. Our companies CFO own a Model X, Jaguar and BMW X series, only his wife drives the other cars, while he mainly drives the Model X. I could go on and on. So basically drivers from high performance ICE cars easily transition to EV, but you will rarely find an EV driver transitioning back once they had a taste.

But this being California and all may not be the best of examples, so I would say the people you described definitely have no experience with EV'S. I can say this because I am part of both worlds.

No matter how you spin it, it's way cheaper to make efficient smooth power from electric motors. They can also be placed directly on drivetrains to make AWD, RWD. Or FWD without taking up room. To get equivalent power from ice is more expensive, and modding for more power is expensive. I know, I've done it. Just to get 450 WHP from my IS350 is $6,500 for an RR Racing SC, plus bolt on's are another $3k to $4k. Tune is another $500. Now my MPG's drop to 14 or 15 mpg and reliability is out the window
While a Model 3 Performance is probably cheaper than a Turbo and tuned IS350 and can launch the car all day long with a 11s quarter mile time and has virtually no maintenance costs. Tons of BMW drivers on the Tesla forums making the switch. I think Tesla will overtake BMW and Lexus by next year in US sales
Old 12-20-21 | 07:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
What exactly do you find so innovative about EVs?
​​​​​​ I think by the way you are asking the question, whatever I tell you will be just wasting your time. So I won't waste anybody's time
Old 12-20-21 | 08:36 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

What you are saying is probably right from a daily driver perspective but for a fun weekend car, I will take that 911 turbo any and all day. A fun weekend car to me has to stir my emotions and part of that is the sound a car makes. Of course that is from an enthusiasts point of view, most would just take an EV.

As for ICE cars that I get excited about, the NSX and GT4 are what I like right now.
Old 12-20-21 | 08:57 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
What you are saying is probably right from a daily driver perspective but for a fun weekend car, I will take that 911 turbo any and all day. A fun weekend car to me has to stir my emotions and part of that is the sound a car makes. Of course that is from an enthusiasts point of view, most would just take an EV.

As for ICE cars that I get excited about, the NSX and GT4 are what I like right now.
My belief is you don't have to own one exclusively over another. Just like people own multiple types of cars, my personal car is an IS350, my family car is a 2013 Toyota Sienna, my wife's car is a Hyundai Ioniq EV. You can own a sports car for the weekends and an EV as a commuter. Or vice versa. For me transitioning to an EV (I have a 2022 Polestar 2 on the way) is just as a commuter that will save me money, I don't have to worry about wear and tear as much. I commute 5.5 miles each way and spend almost $200 a month on gas while the short commute puts lots of wear on my Lexus.

Anyway I see no problems or conflicts owning both an EV or ICE vehicle, nor do I see it as a problem not owning an EV and only ICE. The problem only comes in when people make false assumptions or false statements regarding EV'S. I always say EV'S are not for everyone, especially those who don't have the ability to charge at home or access to charging
Old 12-20-21 | 09:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I had an epiphany a few years ago and realized the ICE age is over that's why I started seriously investing. What fundamentally changed is the electric car became better than the petrol counterpart, until that happened there was no general interest.
Old 12-21-21 | 03:21 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

I’m more than satisfied by the power i have in my ICE cars which are all more than any average driver can explore on public roads. Therefore going to a subpar interior with goofy styling plus the added inconvenience of charging is not appealing to me personally.

I do understand wanting a Tesla for the tech experience.
My IS had enough power to make me smile. GS less so because it was the same engine/transmission in a heavier car. 3P is excessive and I enjoy it much more.

Which is why I wouldn't own one without a garage at home. Having to fill up my Odyssey is a much worse experience than plugging in my 3P. Especially in the winter

A friend of mine did just get an X5 M50i that he loves. He was trying to hold out for an X5M but its availability didn't match up with his timing so he 'settled' for the M50i. That thing hauls *** when he guns it

Last edited by Allen K; 12-21-21 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-21-21 | 07:36 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
When you realize that 50% of the vehicles you listed are coming out in pure EV form confirmed, there's your point.
This would be a true statement if it was driven by free market instead its driven by government mandates especially in EU where most luxury brands are based hence they have NO choice.

You really think they want to make these asinine EVs that are much heavier and require completely new engineering philosophy. Average consumer really doesn’t care about EVs, its all about perception and what’s popular. In 2000s Hummers were all the rage now it’s Teslas, in 2040 it will be something else.
Old 12-21-21 | 08:09 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This would be a true statement if it was driven by free market instead its driven by government mandates especially in EU where most luxury brands are based hence they have NO choice.

You really think they want to make these asinine EVs that are much heavier and require completely new engineering philosophy. Average consumer really doesn’t care about EVs, its all about perception and what’s popular. In 2000s Hummers were all the rage now it’s Teslas, in 2040 it will be something else.
​​​​​​My friend, every technology that exists was forced on us in some form or the other. When Apple created the iPhone Steve Jobs determined what features were best for us, which killed Blackberry. It's going to be the same with EV'S. BTW, Hummers were popular because gas was cheap and they were being subsidized by tax dollars. EV'S are efficient and can produce more power than a Hummer way cheaper, which makes an EV way better.

No one is forcing you to like our buy an EV, and when they start getting mass adoption, no one is forcing you to adopt one. It's going to be some years before ice will be going away, but just know that coming years your engine choices will start getting limited for new cars unless you are willing to spend Porsche type money for limited enthusiast cars. That's being driven by the current market, the majority of consumers are choosing not to buy V8's and V6's just as they abandoned manuals
Old 12-21-21 | 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

​​​​​​My friend, every technology that exists was forced on us in some form or the other. When Apple created the iPhone Steve Jobs determined what features were best for us, which killed Blackberry.
The public bought Apple products (and still do) mostly because of quality and reliability, not so much because of features. I've got a 9-year-old MacBook Air that still runs and operates almost like new.
Old 12-21-21 | 08:19 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I never said that ICE owners don’t also own Teslas.
What i said is that EVs are not so amazing that most ICE owners even of high end luxury cars, have sampled them and still chose to stay with ICE.

Teslas do well with techies and general public that needs to have the next hot thing. Whether its a new Iphone or new Gucci bag or new Sneakers that just came out. Its a fashion statement more than anything else that announces “hey I’m also one of the cool kids” What other ICE car can compete with that currently? Tesla has done an amazing job building its brand image thats why the other EVs will not be able to overtake their marketshare any time soon.
Old 12-21-21 | 08:23 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The public bought Apple products (and still do) mostly because of quality and reliability, not so much because of features.
Nokia had legendary reliability and quality. The original iPhone transformed everything because of software and Apple continues to do so.
Tesla has done an amazing job building its brand image thats why the other EVs will not be able to overtake their marketshare any time soon.
How has Tesla built their brand image with $0 advertising dollars? It's almost as if they have built their brand by simply making it attractive to people, not by spending billions on advertising.
Old 12-21-21 | 08:24 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

​​​​​​My friend, every technology that exists was forced on us in some form or the other. When Apple created the iPhone Steve Jobs determined what features were best for us, which killed Blackberry. It's going to be the same with EV'S. BTW, Hummers were popular because gas was cheap and they were being subsidized by tax dollars. EV'S are efficient and can produce more power than a Hummer way cheaper, which makes an EV way better.

No one is forcing you to like our buy an EV, and when they start getting mass adoption, no one is forcing you to adopt one. It's going to be some years before ice will be going away, but just know that coming years your engine choices will start getting limited for new cars unless you are willing to spend Porsche type money for limited enthusiast cars. That's being driven by the current market, the majority of consumers are choosing not to buy V8's and V6's just as they abandoned manuals
Apple was created by free market.
Tesla also is a result of free market- it created a product that is unique and ppl want.

But ALL automakers switching to EVs by 2030 is to MEET Government imposed policies across the world. That is NOT free market and results will be Painful for the poor and middle class. Government intervention 99% doesn’t benefit anything and setting firm deadlines forces companies to cut corners.
Old 12-21-21 | 08:28 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Nokia had legendary reliability and quality. The original iPhone transformed everything because of software and Apple continues to do so.

How has Tesla built their brand image with $0 advertising dollars? It's almost as if they have built their brand by simply making it attractive to people, not by spending billions on advertising.
- Direct sales model
- Custom ordering
- Tesla stores
- Over the air updates
​​​​​​- Social media / influencers / twitter / Elon Musk
- Tesla gimmicks of Autopilot, 0-60 launches, ludicrous mode etc

They have done numerous things to provide a unique experience- this is all about brand building, its not just traditional marketing.
Old 12-21-21 | 08:29 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i do not find ANY new ICE cars interesting. That's because their innovation rate now pales in comparison to the leaps and bounds forward with EVs.

is anyone else feeling the same way?
Same here, I don't find any new ICE vehicle interesting enough to want to buy one.

The only interesting ICE cars are the performance hybrids - NSX, the new AMGs with the needlessly complex hybrid drivetrains that improve the power delivery (a lot more smoother) , the hybrid Porsche Panamera. I love watching reviews on performance cars, but that's it - I have no interest in owning one.

​​​​​

Quick Reply: anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?