Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-21 | 08:31 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

My next car will be an EV, don't know which one (done like Tesla interior much) but I I just want to have 1 car thats EV in my stable. I absolutely love the Taycan though, lucid also looks promising.
Old 12-21-21 | 08:37 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
- Direct sales model
- Custom ordering
- Tesla stores
- Over the air updates
​​​​​​- Social media / influencers / twitter / Elon Musk
- Tesla gimmicks of Autopilot, 0-60 launches, ludicrous mode etc

They have done numerous things to provide a unique experience- this is all about brand building, its not just traditional marketing.
IMO, presently Teslas are appealing to a niche.
Once a solidly engineered and solidly built EV like a Toyota bZ or Lexus RZ450e is released, EV’s will really really take off like hot cakes.

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-21-21 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-21-21 | 08:44 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

EVs are not taking off now, just when Toyota and Lexus start selling one? Interesting perspective.
Old 12-21-21 | 08:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

folks, keep making posts about powerwalls, solar panels, and tesla only posts and i'll keep deleting them.
Old 12-21-21 | 09:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The public bought Apple products (and still do) mostly because of quality and reliability, not so much because of features. I've got a 9-year-old MacBook Air that still runs and operates almost like new.
My point was Apple built a better product that added a touchscreen interface, while Blackberry maintained their keyboard and wheel. For corporate users, Blackberry was a way better product in the sense that it was extremely secure, and integrated directly with email systems such as MS Exchange, and had way better battery life. But in the end, corporate users along with consumers abandoned the more secure Blackberry for iPhone and Android, that had way less battery life, but offered features that only a computer could offer in the palm of the hands. BTW Apple does "force" you into their ecosystem. You can't really use an Apple watch without an iPhone, you can't really use an Apple TV without a Mac and so on
Old 12-21-21 | 09:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think i'd ever get a used car again...life is too short wondering who the hell drove it before me
same.

Originally Posted by GXLEXD
It seems to me the sweet spot for boring transportation is a plug in hybrid.
and toyota's just the boring brand to lead there.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think the EVs are better daily drivers so anything with that use case, nothing in ICE land does it for me. If I were towing or doing a lot of camping, a nice F150 ICE would be nice or if I wanted a weekend car, the Miata RF would be what I would want. But in reality, I don't need a truck or weekend sports car as my life is hectic enough with the kids so i just only need a daily driver.
great post.

Originally Posted by Och
What exactly do you find so innovative about EVs?
to replace a century of ICE with computers coordinating multiple motors and a huge battery pack to achieve usable range, market leading acceleration, great space utility, and make it pass all regulations is astonishing and highly innovative. i know you think it's just a bunch of AA batteries and a motor.

Originally Posted by Och
You know, in the long term the electronic watch was supposed to kill the antiquated mechanical watch, but that hasn't happen, quite the contrary. While I personally don't care about watches, I can most certainly appreciate the fine mechanisms that make mechanical watches tick, and all the precision and craftsmanship behind them.
it did kill them except for rich people who buy and care about (hugely expensive) mechanical watches, because they can and to be different and have those status symbols. for the other 99.9% of consumers, they're not interested.

Have you seen the new Sclass, Range Rover, Genesis G90, all the new sports cars even the Corvette.

Tell me ONE EV that even comes close to these products?!
i'll answer for each of those... not exact matches but more every day.

slcass -> EQS
range rover -> Rivian, Hummer, you know mb will have a EQG or something soon.
Genesis G90 -> EQS, Lucid
all new sports cars even the corvette -> Taycan, Plaid, Model 3 Performance, Mach-E GT

what am I missing?
better space, faster, quieter, less maintenance, cool factor, etc.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think Tesla will overtake BMW and Lexus by next year in US sales
while this thread isn't about tesla specifically, i have no doubt that will be true, but then tesla is more 'premium mainstream' than luxury or luxury sports player.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The public bought Apple products (and still do) mostly because of quality and reliability, not so much because of features.
this isn't about apple products, and maybe for you and some others, but most bought for the cool factor, because they're easy to use, and the supporting ecosystem (icloud, apple music, etc) and support is very good.

I've got a 9-year-old MacBook Air that still runs and operates almost like new.
it may operate like when you bought it and if it's good enough for you that's great, but respectfully it's NOTHING like a new Mac.
Old 12-21-21 | 09:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i went to the local hyundai/genesis dealership this morning for my first (free) service on the santa fe. while i waited for a ride to my office, i looked at the cars in the showroom of course.

there were a couple of G90s (2021 not the brand new one launching here next year) as well as a couple of GV80s there. didn't do anything for me. the sonata n-line in there at less than half the price was more interesting!

right now i'm really intrigued by the ioniq 5 launching soon. reviews are SOOO positive so far. i'm interested to see how big it is in real life, although i can see it's lower than an suv (even though hyundai calls it one). but i'm very impressed by the super long wheelbase, short overhangs, resulting great interior space, and the fact that it's obviously WAY better sound insulated and better riding (comfort) than teslas for example.
Old 12-21-21 | 09:10 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Apple was created by free market.
Tesla also is a result of free market- it created a product that is unique and ppl want.

But ALL automakers switching to EVs by 2030 is to MEET Government imposed policies across the world. That is NOT free market and results will be Painful for the poor and middle class. Government intervention 99% doesn’t benefit anything and setting firm deadlines forces companies to cut corners.
LOL EV's are completely free market. You buy one or don't buy one. No one is going to force anyone to buy an EV, and to say that is a lie, or self deception at the very least. I have a ton of choice just when it comes to Autos, my choice is EV. No one forced me, I drove one and realized that they have way more potential than an ICE and leased one, and am about to lease another. There are so many other cars I could afford...LC500, RCF, IS500, IS350, BMW M5 etc. but I choose the EV route because ICE has reached its zenith while EV is still in it's infancy and outperforms ICE in every way, the main hurdle is better battery tech, we are an innovative people and that will be solved as well

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-21-21 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-21-21 | 09:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
same.

and toyota's just the boring brand to lead there.

great post.

to replace a century of ICE with computers coordinating multiple motors and a huge battery pack to achieve usable range, market leading acceleration, great space utility, and make it pass all regulations is astonishing and highly innovative. i know you think it's just a bunch of AA batteries and a motor.

it did kill them except for rich people who buy and care about (hugely expensive) mechanical watches, because they can and to be different and have those status symbols. for the other 99.9% of consumers, they're not interested.

i'll answer for each of those... not exact matches but more every day.

slcass -> EQS
range rover -> Rivian, Hummer, you know mb will have a EQG or something soon.
Genesis G90 -> EQS, Lucid
all new sports cars even the corvette -> Taycan, Plaid, Model 3 Performance, Mach-E GT

better space, faster, quieter, less maintenance, cool factor, etc.

while this thread isn't about tesla specifically, i have no doubt that will be true, but then tesla is more 'premium mainstream' than luxury or luxury sports player.

this isn't about apple products, and maybe for you and some others, but most bought for the cool factor, because they're easy to use, and the supporting ecosystem (icloud, apple music, etc) and support is very good.

it may operate like when you bought it and if it's good enough for you that's great, but respectfully it's NOTHING like a new Mac.
I have to give you a thumbs up these responses
Old 12-21-21 | 09:44 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
LOL EV's are completely free market. You buy one or don't buy one. No one is going to force anyone to buy an EV, and to say that is a lie, or self deception at the very least. I have a ton of choice just when it comes to Autos, my choice is EV. No one forced me, I drove one and realized that they have way more potential than an ICE and leased one, and am about to lease another. There are so many other cars I could afford...LC500, RCF, IS500, IS350, BMW M5 etc. but I choose the EV route because ICE has reached its zenith while EV is still in it's infancy and outperforms ICE in every way, the main hurdle is better battery tech, we are an innovative people and that will be solved as well
My friend I’m not referring to present day 2021.

New vehicle development is focused on EVs due to government mandates. This is NOT a secret- every major automaker has announced what they are doing. Therefore by 2030 or even sooner- you will be Forced to purchase an EV if you want a NEW car. There will be some ICE cars available as well but will be greatly inferior as all the R&D was focused on EVs.
Old 12-21-21 | 09:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

My friend I’m not referring to present day 2021.

New vehicle development is focused on EVs due to government mandates. This is NOT a secret- every major automaker has announced what they are doing. Therefore by 2030 or even sooner- you will be Forced to purchase an EV if you want a NEW car. There will be some ICE cars available as well but will be greatly inferior as all the R&D was focused on EVs.
That is a major misconception, there is no "hard date" when ICE production will end and EV's will be the only kid on the block. In other words, Skynet is not taking over in our lifetimes. Just in California alone there are over 40 Million gas powered vehicles on the road, and hundreds of thousands new being sold everyday. Half the country doesn't have charging infrastructure. Possibly in parts of Europe that may happen sooner, but I guarantee that ICE is not going away for a long time. It's physically and scientifically an improbability. Now your choices of engine may change in the next 10 years, meaning you may not be able to buy that TT V8, but ICE is not going away, anytime soon.

BTW I would like to add that I am using my market power and not buying cars with downsized turbo engines and instead choosing EV's, which are the way better choice. If I buy or own ICE, it will only be either V6, V8 or bus (just kidding about the last one )

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-21-21 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-21-21 | 10:05 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

That is a major misconception, there is no "hard date" when ICE production will end and EV's will be the only kid on the block. In other words, Skynet is not taking over in our lifetimes. Just in California alone there are over 40 Million gas powered vehicles on the road, and hundreds of thousands new being sold everyday. Half the country doesn't have charging infrastructure. Possibly in parts of Europe that may happen sooner, but I guarantee that ICE is not going away for a long time. It's physically and scientifically an improbability. Now your choices of engine may change in the next 10 years, meaning you may not be able to buy that TT V8, but ICE is not going away, anytime soon
Again EVERY single manufacturer has announced that they are moving from ICE to EV!
When asked why - answer is to meet GLOBAL EMISSIONS that are being put forth by all major governments. Therefore it’s not driven by Freemarket.

How is this even something you are disputing?!

Ferrari is abandoning V8s and V12s, Dodge getting rid of Hellcats, Mercedes dumping V8s for hybrids - what you think is driving all this?! Definitely not consumer demand lol

The remaining new ICE vehicles for sale in 2030 will be cheap econo boxes that nobody wants and are geared for poor countries that don’t have charging.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-21-21 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-21-21 | 10:07 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

That is a major misconception, there is no "hard date" when ICE production will end and EV's will be the only kid on the block. In other words, Skynet is not taking over in our lifetimes. Just in California alone there are over 40 Million gas powered vehicles on the road, and hundreds of thousands new being sold everyday. Half the country doesn't have charging infrastructure. Possibly in parts of Europe that may happen sooner, but I guarantee that ICE is not going away for a long time. It's physically and scientifically an improbability. Now your choices of engine may change in the next 10 years, meaning you may not be able to buy that TT V8, but ICE is not going away, anytime soon
RMN has a point though. If automakers have to reach a fleetwide average of 55MPG by 2026, it's a lot easier to make that goal with a fleet of EVs than it is with an ICE heavy lineup. So engineering resources will be focused on EVs while ICE stagnates at best or gets chopped at worst
Old 12-21-21 | 10:12 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
RMN has a point though. If automakers have to reach a fleetwide average of 55MPG by 2026, it's a lot easier to make that goal with a fleet of EVs than it is with an ICE heavy lineup. So engineering resources will be focused on EVs while ICE stagnates at best or gets chopped at worst
These are arbitrary numbers and dates IMO. They are always pushed out into the future. Since I was kid I would hear these crazy MPG numbers being thrown 10 years in the future, 10 years later they were nowhere near achieving them. They mean nothing because all you need is a different administration coming into office and everything gets thrown in the scrap heap. As far as ICE, it's reached it peak already. Making them more "efficient" just means downsizing them, making them more powerful just means bigger turbos, more fueling and having to spend more money building them so they don't throw rods and pistons

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-21-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-21-21 | 10:21 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

These are arbitrary numbers and dates IMO. They are always pushed out into the future. Since I was kid I would hear these crazy MPG numbers being thrown 10 years in the future, 10 years later they were nowhere near achieving them. They mean nothing because all you need is a different administration coming into office and everything gets thrown in the scrap heap
You don’t understand R&D or product planning.
A company can’t just wake up one day and say oh ye we are going to build XYZ. They plan YEARS ahead of time. The new car you see today was developed at least 3-4yrs ago. Stuff that companies are working at in 2021 will only be out in 2025.

There will be some residual ICE production in 2030 and maybe beyond but ALL the new R&D focus for NEW products is solely focused on EVs. At best it’s going to take companies a decade to make this transition and a lot of them will not survive. Most likely, most popular cars in 10-15yrs will be produced in China and under their brands.

Quick Reply: anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?