Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-21 | 10:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
You don’t understand R&D or product planning.
A company can’t just wake up one day and say oh ye we are going to build XYZ. They plan YEARS ahead of time. The new car you see today was developed at least 3-4yrs ago. Stuff that companies are working at in 2021 will only be out in 2025.

There will be some residual ICE production in 2030 and maybe beyond but ALL the new R&D focus for NEW products is solely focused on EVs. At best it’s going to take companies a decade to make this transition and a lot of them will not survive. Most likely, most popular cars in 10-15yrs will be produced in China and under their brands.
I work for an R&D startup, so I know how it works. Yes what you are saying is true about the planning, What I am saying is the logistics of switching to all EV production by 2030 is impossible, even if that's what everyone wants. Battery development needs at least another 5 years, and proper infrastructure probably needs another 10, just in California alone. If you couldn't even switch to all EV in a place like California at this point, imagine Wyoming, S Dakota, or other rural parts of the Mid-West and country. I don't know what to tell you except you cannot convert an auto infrastructure designed for ICE by 2030. Maybe by 2030 California may reach 30% to 50% (the numbers are only a guess) EV adoption, but I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that it ain't happening in other parts of the United States

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-21-21 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-21-21 | 10:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This would be a true statement if it was driven by free market instead its driven by government mandates especially in EU where most luxury brands are based hence they have NO choice.

You really think they want to make these asinine EVs that are much heavier and require completely new engineering philosophy. Average consumer really doesn’t care about EVs, its all about perception and what’s popular. In 2000s Hummers were all the rage now it’s Teslas, in 2040 it will be something else.
I think your own personal bias against EVs is clouding your perception here. People do want EVs, there is a ton to like for the average consumer.
Old 12-21-21 | 11:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think your own personal bias against EVs is clouding your perception here. People do want EVs, there is a ton to like for the average consumer.
Also the sales numbers prove it, as well as the number of start-ups popping up to compete in the market. Most people who want them are usually hesitant because of range anxiety, they get over that pretty quickly once they actually drive one
Old 12-21-21 | 11:25 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I think RNM has many points, in that it's not a one way street for EV's.

While the future is certainly EV's, they do have issues that they must address like overnight top-up charging facities kerbside and in apartments like across NY, and that electricity prices will skyrocket, and EV taxes may eventually be introduced.

While solar is free, the solar panels and PowerWall batteries are costly, so it's not really free after all.
Old 12-21-21 | 11:52 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I’m not discounting that there are consumers that want EVs, of course there are especially in CA or other places where you have supporting infrastructure.

But the average Joe and Jane also want the next cool thing which is Tesla, the fact that its an EV is secondary. Its also a “fashion” statement more than they actually want an EV specifically.

People naturally are attracted to new innovative products which Tesla definitely has created.

I personally have no bias and would update my X3 to an EV tomorrow if it offers same features / design / performance without hassle of charging in NY metro area. Unfortunately that doesn’t exist. A similar EV would also weigh at least a 1,000lbs more which would affect braking and handling performance, tires etc.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-21-21 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-21-21 | 12:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Average consumers care about mundane things in a car, enthusiasts do not want EVs.
Old 12-21-21 | 12:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Average consumers care about mundane things in a car, enthusiasts do not want EVs.
I see a lot of enthusiasts right here who want EVs...
Old 12-21-21 | 12:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

From what I see, I would not call them enthusiasts, they are more amused with electronic gimmicks and other nonsense.
Old 12-21-21 | 12:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Complete nonsense. Many enthusiasts want EVs. Many do not. Plenty on both sides.
Old 12-21-21 | 12:48 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Go visit the Tesla forum performance section and you'll see far more people there that own/owned M3s, 911s, Vettes, Caymans, Camaros, and Mustangs than the subset of people I see here. A couple of them regularly compete at high levels in autocross and attend track events regularly. Enthusiasts don't want EVs is complete nonsense.
Old 12-21-21 | 12:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
From what I see, I would not call them enthusiasts, they are more amused with electronic gimmicks and other nonsense.
Anybody who posts on a car forum religiously is an enthusiast. Are you saying I'm not a car enthusiast?
Old 12-21-21 | 12:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Complete nonsense. Many enthusiasts want EVs. Many do not. Plenty on both sides.
Maybe "soft" enthusiasts, who like trendy cars, but not much beyond that. True enthusiasts who have petrol running through their veins don't want anything to do with the EV nonsense.
Old 12-21-21 | 12:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Anybody who posts on a car forum religiously is an enthusiast. Are you saying I'm not a car enthusiast?
Steve, you have a minivan in your garage.
Old 12-21-21 | 01:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Maybe "soft" enthusiasts, who like trendy cars, but not much beyond that. True enthusiasts who have petrol running through their veins don't want anything to do with the EV nonsense.
Again, nonsense. Plenty of my friends own weekend sports cars that track them and drive a Tesla as their daily ride. I guess you think Jay Leno isn't a "real" enthusiast as he daily drives a Model S. Bet he's forgotten more about cars than most people ever know about them.
Old 12-21-21 | 01:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Again, nonsense. Plenty of my friends own weekend sports cars that track them and drive a Tesla as their daily ride. I guess you think Jay Leno isn't a "real" enthusiast as he daily drives a Model S. Bet he's forgotten more about cars than most people ever know about them.
I too have plenty of friends who are car enthusiasts, none care for the EVs.

Quick Reply: anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?