Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-21 | 01:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Is there anyone more credible than Jay Leno when it comes to cars? I can't think of anyone the guy owns and drives pretty much every type of vehicle ever made.
Old 12-21-21 | 01:19 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as for new ICE vehicles... i just don't see anything interesting and there's not likely to be anything interesting because all the big money is going into EVs.
It's the end of the road for ICEV's.
BEV's are still in their infancy with the 30 year old aging 1991 Sony lion batteries.
The forthcoming solid state batteries hint at 10x greater capacity, charging in only 3 minutes, lasting 25 years, and being far less explosive - but at least 5-10 years away from mass production.
Still, there remains plenty of challenges for BEV's including: the global supply of lithium and cobalt etc, infrastructure for apartment/kerbside/statewide charging, the rising cost of electricity, the potential for a BEV tax, and the cost of solar panels and power packs for solar energy storage.
Old 12-21-21 | 01:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Steve, you have a minivan in your garage.
LOL, and? Our minivan is a family hauling tool that I wouldn't own if my wife didn't insist on having it.

I think any statement that *I* am not a car enthusiast is hilariously absurd.
Old 12-21-21 | 01:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
LOL, and? Our minivan is a family hauling tool that I wouldn't own if my wife didn't insist on having it.

I think any statement that *I* am not a car enthusiast is hilariously absurd.
Of course I was just teasing you, but then also you're more of a soft enthusiast. From your posts in general, you seem more of gadget enthusiast - you get excited over self driving, screens, and other things hardcore enthusiasts frown at.
Old 12-21-21 | 01:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
From what I see, I would not call them enthusiasts, they are more amused with electronic gimmicks and other nonsense.
I'm an enthusiast, I've been one before I could even drive. Driven everything from GTI to Lamborghini (rented one in Dubai in 2017 when I was there for a wedding). I've modded them, I've driven them on tracks, I've attended events. And yet I own and am getting a second EV. I guess that means I lost my enthusiast license...
Old 12-21-21 | 01:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Of course I was just teasing you, but then also you're more of a soft enthusiast. From your posts in general, you seem more of gadget enthusiast - you get excited over self driving, screens, and other things hardcore enthusiasts frown at.
Sorry, but that is total BS. I am a lifelong car enthusiast, cars are my greatest passion in life. Just because I like tech features in cars too doesn't make me a "light enthusiast". I was a car enthusiast long before any of that technology even existed.

Your definition of what is and is not an "enthusiast" is steeped in "purist" snobbery. EVERYBODY who posts regularly here on CL is a car enthusiast, people who are not enthusiasts wouldn't spend their time discussing cars on an internet forum.
Old 12-21-21 | 01:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Sorry, but that is total BS. I am a lifelong car enthusiast, cars are my greatest passion in life. Just because I like tech features in cars too doesn't make me a "light enthusiast". I was a car enthusiast long before any of that technology even existed.

Your definition of what is and is not an "enthusiast" is steeped in "purist" snobbery. EVERYBODY who posts regularly here on CL is a car enthusiast, people who are not enthusiasts wouldn't spend their time discussing cars on an internet forum.
Sorry Steve, your enthusiast license has been revoked! No more petrol for you!
Old 12-21-21 | 01:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

There is another reason why so many of us loathe electric vehicles, and its has to do not so much with the vehicles themselves but with the type of people they seem to attract. There are a bunch of EV fluffers all over the internet (EZZ, not you, you're cool ) that dream of the govt banning ICE cars, their desperation to have power over other people is absolutely pathetic and repulsive.
Old 12-21-21 | 01:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Sorry Steve, your enthusiast license has been revoked! No more petrol for you!
Apparently! I suppose Ill have to find something else to do with the several hours I spend every day talking about cars, reading and watching content about cars...since clearly I am not a car enthusiast.

I guess I can do all those things for refrigerators or washing machines? LOL
Old 12-21-21 | 01:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Ok, fine, purist snobs frown at EVs and soft enthusiasts.
Old 12-21-21 | 01:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
There is another reason why so many of us loathe electric vehicles, and its has to do not so much with the vehicles themselves but with the type of people they seem to attract. There are a bunch of EV fluffers all over the internet (EZZ, not you, you're cool ) that dream of the govt banning ICE cars, their desperation to have power over other people is absolutely pathetic and repulsive.
Funnily enough, the loudest voice I have heard here wanting the Government to ban and control cars in cities, give legal priority to pedestrians and cyclists over cars, have cars issue tickets to their owners and drivers is actually yours. You have advocated for such power and control over others here many times.
Old 12-21-21 | 01:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
We are not one those you are describing. Nobody on this forum ever advocated the banning of ICE. Dozens and dozens of EV owners I know, none have that philosophy, in fact most own both EV and ICE, including myself. There must exist a faux news (no pun intended) somewhere that's feeding you guys lots of misinformation

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-21-21 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-21-21 | 01:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Funnily enough, the loudest voice I have heard here wanting the Government to ban and control cars in cities, give legal priority to pedestrians and cyclists over cars, have cars issue tickets to their owners and drivers is actually yours. You have advocated for such power and control over others here many times.
Pedestrians and cyclists already have priority over cars, the issue is most drivers do not respect the right of way of other road users. Apples and oranges.
Old 12-21-21 | 02:03 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Not a fan of the bans at all. Let the market decide the fate of ICE. I'm a capitalist at heart
Old 12-21-21 | 02:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Not a fan of the bans at all. Let the market decide the fate of ICE. I'm a capitalist at heart
That's my philosophy, let the market decide by consumers making the choice

Quick Reply: anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?