Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21 | 12:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?

i talk to friends and relatives who are all interested in getting an EV as their next vehicle.
vast r&d money is now being poured into EVs.

from EV reviews, it's clear they're quiet, handle great, are VERY versatile, and for people who can charge at home, there's little if any down side, except maybe for long trips in certain places, but even that 'issue' will fade as tons of new charge stations come online and charging gets faster and range gets better.

remember getting excited about that raucous new sports car? with all that sound came 'great' performance, for its time. now most EVs laugh and say "not impressed".

easy to forget about VW in the u.s. but they're a vast manufacturer and they are going crazy trying to launch EVs across their brands.
the ford f-150 lightning is BY FAR Ford's most important upcoming vehicle introduction.
Rivian, Tesla, Lucid with huge valuations and sucking most of the media oxygen.
Toyota has just done a giant "don't forget about us" presentation that was largely hot air. let me know when they have something other than the warmed over NX/RX ev that isn't likely to lead in anything.

as most here know, i drive 2 vehicles:
a 'boring' suv for work, a very nice loaded 2021 hyundai santa fe. but i can't help thinking how i'm looking forward in 2024 to replacing it with an EV.
a 'not boring' coupe for fun, a gorgeous loaded 2021 Lexus LC500. i know many lots it sound under load, but that's not that interesting to me, but while it couldn't out accelerate a model 3, it's plenty fast enough for me, handles, steers and brakes fantastically (for me) and is very comfortable too. but i can't help wondering when i replace the suv with an EV, will i just decide i'm done with gasoline, oil, noise, etc? i don't know right now, i do thoroughly enjoy the LC even though i don't drive it much. one reason i got it is because v8's will go away in the next few years and there's something nostalgic about driving it.

as for new ICE vehicles... i just don't see anything interesting and there's not likely to be anything interesting because all the big money is going into EVs.
Old 12-20-21 | 12:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm really sold on the Encore GX....absolutely love it for my daily-driving needs in spite of the somewhat gruffy three-banger at low revs. But I'd also be very open to a Hybrid, Plug-in-Hybrid or full-electric vision of the GX.....particularly if we can get adequate re-charging-outlets in my neighborhood, and the local kids don't report to pulling the plugs out as a prank.
Old 12-20-21 | 12:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as most here know, i drive 2 vehicles:
a 'boring' suv for work, a very nice loaded 2021 hyundai santa fe. but i can't help thinking how i'm looking forward in 2024 to replacing it with an EV.
Having seen and reviewed a new Genesis GV70, I wouldn't be surprised if you took one of those home next time, particularly if Genesis gets around to a hybrid or full-BEV version of it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-20-21 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-20-21 | 12:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

If I wasn't transitioning to EV, these would be the following cars on my list:

New:
LC500
RCF
IS500
2021 IS350 F-Sport

Used:
4th Gen GSF
2010-2011 ISF
8th or 9th Gen Honda Accord Sport V6 with 5 Speed Manual
Old 12-20-21 | 12:55 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

There are PLENTY of brand new ICE cars I’m excited to drive and hope to purchase some of them.

- BRZ / 86
- Nissan Z
- GT4RS
- GT3
- 911 GTS
- Lotus Emira
- MB SL55/63
- BMW M2
- Corvette Z06

There are Zero EV cars that i would consider at this point to replace any of my existing cars.

Old 12-20-21 | 12:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
There are PLENTY of brand new ICE cars I’m excited to drive and hope to purchase some of them.

- BRZ / 86
- Nissan Z
- GT4RS
- GT3
- 911 GTS
- Lotus Emira
- MB SL55/63
- BMW M2
- Corvette Z06

There are Zero EV cars that i would consider at this point to replace any of my existing cars.
I'll add your Lotus Emira to my list
Old 12-20-21 | 01:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

i talk to friends and relatives who are all interested in getting an EV as their next vehicle.
vast r&d money is now being poured into EVs.
I wonder how interested they would be if there were a tax on EV charing? Definitely will be coming one day. I believe the costs to go green and charge cars will be far more expensive in the future as they will need lots of $$$ for the roads.

Rivian, Tesla, Lucid with huge valuations and sucking most of the media oxygen.
It is interesting to watch the Tesla stock. It is now under $900

as for new ICE vehicles... i just don't see anything interesting and there's not likely to be anything interesting because all the big money is going into EVs.
I find the Mercedes and Toyota hybrid tech interesting. Now were seeing Audi use hybrid more for performance and we are also seeing Toyota do it with the Tundra.

from EV reviews, it's clear they're quiet, handle great, are VERY versatile, and for people who can charge at home, there's little if any down side, except maybe for long trips in certain places, but even that 'issue' will fade as tons of new charge stations come online and charging gets faster and range gets better.
The EVs I find interesting are the Tesla S as well as the Toyota bZ4x. The Ford F150 will be interesting. I also find it fascinating that the sticker shock of the EV pricing can be so high

easy to forget about VW in the u.s. but they're a vast manufacturer and they are going crazy trying to launch EVs across their brands.
Did you know that VW has surpassed Tesla in EV sales?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-20-21 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-20-21 | 01:28 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

For me, ICEV is the past.
However, it is still too early for me to purchase EV's.

0-60 drags are immature and not practical with real consumers.

Consumers want vehicles that are properly engineered, properly manufactured and properly assembled like the top selling passenger RAV4 and luxury RX.

EV's are presently only in their infancy, with tremendous room to grow.
Old 12-20-21 | 01:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wonder how interested they would be if there were a tax on EV charing? Definitely will be coming one day. I believe the costs to go green and charge cars will be far more expensive in the future as they will need lots of $$$ for the roads.

It is interesting to watch the Tesla stock. It is now under $900
We already pay a $100 tax a year when we register our cars which covers for the lost gas tax. I'm adding additional solar panels to my roof which will give me the capacity to generate 190 percent over my current use, so what are they going to tax me for, sun light? LOL if they do that than I'll just move to a rural area in Texas or Alabama and live off the grid

The whole market is down, all my stocks including Apple are down, market is correcting. This is actually a great time to buy Tesla stock, as it will go back up
Old 12-20-21 | 01:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
We already pay a $100 tax a year when we register our cars which covers for the lost gas tax. I'm adding additional solar panels to my roof which will give me the capacity to generate 190 percent over my current use, so what are they going to tax me for, sun light? LOL if they do that than I'll just move to a rural area in Texas or Alabama and live off the grid
How does the municipality recoup the lost revenue for the roads that you Tesla currently uses? If you go off the grid, they'd still need to recoup the tax dollars.
Old 12-20-21 | 01:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How does the municipality recoup the lost revenue for the roads that you Tesla currently uses? If you go off the grid, they'd still need to recoup the tax dollars.
The $100 extra in registration fees for EV's. That covers the revenue from lost gas taxes
Old 12-20-21 | 01:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peteharvey
For me, ICEV is the past.
However, it is still too early for me to purchase EV's.

0-60 drags are immature and not practical with real consumers.

Consumers want vehicles that are properly engineered, properly manufactured and properly assembled like the top selling passenger RAV4 and luxury RX.

EV's are presently only in their infancy, with tremendous room to grow.
It's an excellent time to lease, I definitely would not buy as they are constantly evolving, also you are not making a commitment. As one who owns one, I can assure they are properly engineered. My wife's 2020 Hyundai Ioniq is as smooth or smoother than any V8 that exists.

Back to non-EV's. I'm very practical about the vehicles I buy, I'm not the type to buy a $100K plus BMW, Porsche etc, and because I'm all about reliability and keeping the cars I buy for long term (10 years plus), for ICE my choice is always going to be Toyota/Lexus. If I did decide to spend the $100K plus it would definitely be an LC500

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-20-21 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-20-21 | 01:56 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

govt regs have made cars more and more boring over the years. Killing their looks, killing engine choices
Old 12-20-21 | 02:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The $100 extra in registration fees for EV's. That covers the revenue from lost gas taxes
And we charge from our rooftops so its not like they can charge us tax. I pay nothing in electricity and won't for the next 20 years.
Old 12-20-21 | 02:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
govt regs have made cars more and more boring over the years. Killing their looks, killing engine choices
Yep, I have to agree with you. I hate all the downsized engines. Some of them may produce a lot of power and torque, but they sound like sewing machines. And that fricken artificial sound they pump from the speakers. God

Quick Reply: anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?