Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai shuts down main ICE development center

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-21, 05:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

There's no question all aspects of the 'energy' and related industries (which includes transportation) are highly regulated and incentivized (and penalized) in various ways by governments. But instead of debating all that, perhaps we can stay on topic that hyundai, a pretty big player, is essentially ending new ICE development.
Old 12-25-21, 08:28 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,898 Likes on 2,447 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the federal and state tax credits to CONSUMERS are subsidies making EVs cheaper to buy than they otherwise would be. This is specifically to encourage consumers to choose EVs over ICE vehicles.
I'm asking how much and which auto makers benefit, not if subsidies exist.
...EVs are being heavily pushed / subsidized / and regulated into dominance.
What does heavily subsidized mean in actual dollars you must have some idea given the above. Tesla has not qualified since the end of 2019, Chevy has not qualified since March of 2020.
Old 12-25-21, 10:54 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I think All these automakers know something that general public doesn’t yet. That the Worldwide Government plans to abolish all new ICE cars.

NYC just passed new law banning all new building development using oil or natural gas for cooking/heating etc. The whole building will just run on electricity.

I have repeated this many times - there is way too much $$$ to be made creating a new EV industry. Politicians, businessmen, investors are all going to cash-in at expense of general public. How do you hide this fact - by claiming its all to save the environment!

In 50yrs, the new generation of activists will be complaining how EVs ruined the earth by mining for precious metals…..

https://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-m...-new-buildings

New York City is the largest city in the nation and the first large cold-weather city to phase out fossil fuel combustion in new construction – accelerating next-generation electric buildings, improving air quality and public health, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-25-21 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-25-21, 11:02 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K

What does heavily subsidized mean in actual dollars you must have some idea given the above. Tesla has not qualified since the end of 2019, Chevy has not qualified since March of 2020.
Governments worldwide are putting unrealistic emissions standards which are all practically banning ICE and forcing EVs to be the only solution. Do you disagree with this?

Some cities already banned ICE cars from being driven into certain parts.

Behind closed doors- I’m sure the auto executives were told ban is coming and to develop EVs asap.
Old 12-25-21, 11:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

you can do your own research but as they say, it's complicated. This should help you answer your own questions.

https://www.resources.org/common-res...cle-standards/

Tl;dr - tax credits typically INCREASE the cost of EVs (and EV makers profits) as EV makers then have decreased price pressure to compete with ICE, except for companies like tesla which have long used up all their tax credits. as i've said before, govt intervention distorts market mechanisms and always has unintended consequences.

Old 12-25-21, 01:05 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts

Companies that don't sell as many EVs have to purchase carbon credits from companies that do to meet regulations. Since Tesla sells nothing but EVs, they have leftover credits that they are allowed to sell to companies that won't meet their carbon credit quota. That was $1.6 billion in 2020. And $518 million for the first quarter of this year. A completely artificial market set up by the gov that actually forced one company to subsidize their competitor. I think this year is the first time they would have actually turned a profit if they factored out the money for the carbon credit they sell.

And that kinda ties back to why I think Hyundai is stopping ICE development. Their ICE engines are good enough now, since they are producing enough EVs to meet their carbon credit quota. They will probably just use what they have going forward. Easier to just produce another EV than spend the money on R&D to get better gas mileage with ICE. And, again, this is completely different than what happened with fossil fuel subsidizes. They were put into place because our economy was starved for energy, and there was no other option. This is done to push one technology over another viable, proven solution.
Old 12-25-21, 01:30 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Surprised how nobody mentioned that this shakeup took place immediately after the new staff and executives were promoted across Hyundai Motor Group, most of whom are younger and in their 40s.
Old 12-25-21, 01:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
Since Tesla sells nothing but EVs, they have leftover credits that they are allowed to sell to companies that won't meet their carbon credit quota. That was $1.6 billion in 2020. And $518 million for the first quarter of this year. A completely artificial market set up by the gov that actually forced one company to subsidize their competitor
Carbon credits applied to any company why are you singling out Tesla.
Old 12-25-21, 01:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Carbon credits applied to any company why are you singling out Tesla.
Isn't it true that tesla made vastly (and i mean VASTLY) more money than any other company by selling these credits, a scheme created by government?
Old 12-25-21, 01:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Surprised how nobody mentioned that this shakeup took place immediately after the new staff and executives were promoted across Hyundai Motor Group, most of whom are younger and in their 40s.
hard to know if it's been in the works for a while and this just coincided.
Old 12-25-21, 01:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Isn't it true that tesla made vastly (and i mean VASTLY) more money than any other company by selling these credits, a scheme created by government?
If other auto makers wanted that money they should have beaten Tesla to market.
Old 12-25-21, 02:26 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 519 Likes on 354 Posts

Yep. Tesla is by far a better run company than the legacy car companies. Profits are good.
Old 12-25-21, 02:28 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

As much as I hate to say it, Hyundai has struggled to make good ICE engines. I think they are still replacing many engines to honor their warranty?
Old 12-25-21, 02:32 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

I am generally not in favor of subsidies. But signaling out EVs is kinda silly. Big oil gets what, $10B annually for exploration, development and sales of oil. And we pay the tax at the pump!
And their profits are insane right now. CA wannabe premium is $5 plus 10 cents per gallon if you use plastic.
Old 12-25-21, 03:01 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
What’s there to note about it? These moves [and others like Biermann being only an advisor now] have been in the works for a while. There was always a plan to grow Korean talent instead of being so reliant on foreign recruitment and with this strategy change now is as good a time as ever. We’ll see if they’re ready…

hard to know if it's been in the works for a while and this just coincided.
Of course it’s been in the works for a while.

Quick Reply: Hyundai shuts down main ICE development center