Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai shuts down main ICE development center

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-21, 05:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,216 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
As much as I hate to say it, Hyundai has struggled to make good ICE engines. I think they are still replacing many engines to honor their warranty?
They have good engines on paper. Real life doesn't always play out in their favor
Old 12-25-21, 05:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
They have good engines on paper. Real life doesn't always play out in their favor
I believe most of their engines derived from Mitsu, which were never exactly stellar.
Old 12-25-21, 07:05 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
What’s there to note about it?
To give a bigger picture. HMG is not merely swapping out departments, they're making a massive sweep across the entire company's leadership pool to make the brand "younger." You would never see something like this take place with the Japanese brands.

As much as I hate to say it, Hyundai has struggled to make good ICE engines. I think they are still replacing many engines to honor their warranty?
The engines were due to a manufacturing issue in their Alabama plant with faulty machining, not the design itself. The Theta II problems are pretty much exclusive to North America. And the subsequent recalls are because they screwed up the repair of the first recalls...
Old 12-25-21, 07:18 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
If other auto makers wanted that money they should have beaten Tesla to market.
Because the game was rigged against them from the beginning. Other auto makers that produced ICE autos had to sell a bunch of EVs just to break even and not be fined. Since Tesla was all-EV from the start, every car they created generated credits, so they ended up with a huge surplus, which they were allowed to sell to ICE automakers at a huge profit.
Old 12-25-21, 07:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
If other auto makers wanted that money they should have beaten Tesla to market.
I answered your pointed questions and this thread isn't about tesla.

You don't hate to say it and i disagree. Toyota and honda at times have had significant issues with particular engines too. I had a genesis 3.3TT and now a 2.5T and they're both excellent.

Yep. Tesla is by far a better run company than the legacy car companies. Profits are good.
This thread isn't about tesla, but sorry, not sorry, that comment is just ridiculous. 'Legacy' companies have just that, a giant legacy they can't just turn off overnight. But, back to this actual thread topic, it's bold that hyundai is shutting down future ICE development and now they've actually launched models on a dedicated EV platform, they are absolutely coming after tesla and all. How successful they will be, who knows. And VW is selling a lot of EVs in europe i believe (maybe more than tesla now), and ford's mach-e is doing pretty well and the lightning should do well too.

Originally Posted by Och
I believe most of their engines derived from Mitsu, which were never exactly stellar.
Where on earth did you draw that info?

Originally Posted by Bob04
Because the game was rigged against them from the beginning. Other auto makers that produced ICE autos had to sell a bunch of EVs just to break even and not be fined. Since Tesla was all-EV from the start, every car they created generated credits, so they ended up with a huge surplus, which they were allowed to sell to ICE automakers at a huge profit.
exactly right. Good for tesla for seizing the opportunity, but lame that the govt created that opportunity which hurt all other makers and caused them to have to pay tesla for the privilege of competing with them.

Old 12-25-21, 07:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Where on earth did you draw that info?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Sirius_engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsub...5-2003_Hyundai
Old 12-25-21, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i was going to guess it was 20-30 years ago, and apparently that's the case and thus utterly irrelevant today. But thanks for the links.
Old 12-25-21, 08:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i was going to guess it was 20-30 years ago, and apparently that's the case and thus utterly irrelevant today. But thanks for the links.
Hyundai had a relatively short period of designing their own ICEs, which were derived from Mitsubishi engines. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm sure Mitsubishi engines also derived from someone else, much like early Toyota engines were GM engines built by Toyota under GM license.
Old 12-25-21, 08:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,898 Likes on 2,447 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
GM developed an EV way way back. They killed it. Toyota was partnered with the company we can't talk about. They killed the deal and sold all their stock in the company we can't talk about. Epic stupidity. Legacy auto has themselves to blame no one else, they didn't see where the market was heading.

Hyundai gets it they have halted all further ICE development and have some great EVs coming into the market.
Old 12-25-21, 08:16 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Hyundai has been making their own engines for 25 years now. Hyundais prior to that didn't just use Mitsubishi engines, they were literally rebadged or reshelled Mitsubishis, just like older Kias were just rebadged Fords and Mazdas.
Old 12-25-21, 08:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
Hyundai has been making their own engines for 25 years now. Hyundais prior to that didn't just use Mitsubishi engines, they were literally rebadged or reshelled Mitsubishis, just like older Kias were just rebadged Fords and Mazdas.
Automotive industry was, and still is, full of weird partnerships. That being said, Hyundai has only been building decent engine for the last 10 years or so, before that they were on part with Chrysler/Mitsu junk that they derived from.
Old 12-25-21, 08:27 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Automotive industry was, and still is, full of weird partnerships. That being said, Hyundai has only been building decent engine for the last 10 years or so, before that they were on part with Chrysler/Mitsu junk that they derived from.
That's just plain wrong. The most problematic Hyundai engines were the Theta II from the mid 2010s. By then there was zero Mitsubishi, and like I said before, a manufacturing rather than a design error. And never has any Hyundai engine came from a Chrysler.
Old 12-25-21, 08:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
That's just plain wrong. The most problematic Hyundai engines were the Theta II from the mid 2010s. By then there was zero Mitsubishi, and like I said before, a manufacturing rather than a design error. And never has any Hyundai engine came from a Chrysler.
In the 90ies, Hyundais were notorious for being notorious junk, and afaik Chrysler and Mitsu motors were built in an alliance as Diamond Star Motors, and were notoriously unreliable.
Old 12-25-21, 08:41 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
In the 90ies, Hyundais were notorious for being notorious junk, and afaik Chrysler and Mitsu motors were built in an alliance as Diamond Star Motors, and were notoriously unreliable.
90s Hyundais were mostly rebadged Mitsubishis, with cheaper parts and crappier build quality and bodies that would rust out in zero time. The engineering wasn't the main issue, it was the third-world quality in which these rebadged Mitsubishis were built from Korea. It was in the 2000s after the merger of Hyundai/Kia that they took action to bring their manufacturing level to that of a developed country, which was a reflection of South Korea's own transition to becoming a first world country at the time.
Old 12-25-21, 08:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Ok we can quit debating '90s hyundais/mitsubishi/chrysler junk, thanks.

Quick Reply: Hyundai shuts down main ICE development center