Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai shuts down main ICE development center

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-21, 09:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

With all the automakers dropping ICE development, I think in reality we'll see a few third party suppliers building standardized ICEs for all of them. Most automaker ICEs are already more similar than they have ever been, and they often source the same transmissions and many other parts.
Old 12-25-21, 09:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Ok we can quit debating '90s hyundais/mitsubishi/chrysler junk, thanks.
The point is not to debate, but to point out where Hyundai has started. Just 15-20 years ago they were building the cheapest, rebadged econoboxes on the market, and then they have invested heavily in their own R&D, their own 6 and 8 cylinder engines. Did they even get a sufficient return on investment to simply abandon ICE development, especially that they sell a vast amount of cars in countries where EVs are decades away from infantry? I'm pretty sure they have a plan B.
Old 12-25-21, 09:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

You don't hate to say it and i disagree. Toyota and honda at times have had significant issues with particular engines too. I had a genesis 3.3TT and now a 2.5T and they're both excellent.
The Japanese are ahead of Hyundai by quite a bit in regards to gas burning engines. The is no question Toyota hybrids are miles ahead of every manufacturer, there is no comparison. Mercedes is on par with ICE tech among Toyota and General Motors . ICE hydrogen combustion engines will be part of the EV future, Hyundai behind the scenes are researching this tech and watching what Toyota is doing.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-25-21 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-26-21, 04:59 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
To give a bigger picture. HMG is not merely swapping out departments, they're making a massive sweep across the entire company's leadership pool to make the brand "younger." You would never see something like this take place with the Japanese brands.
Of course you wouldn’t, Japanese business culture is very different. They have some of the oldest senior leaders among peer countries across multiple industries- the average age of corporate presidents, for example, across most industries is over 60 years old. And over 80% of their senior managers have never worked at another company, whereas that’s less than 20% here in the U.S.

This trend isn’t limited to HMG in SK- Samsung just recently made a very similar move.
Old 12-26-21, 06:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Because the game was rigged against them from the beginning. Other auto makers that produced ICE autos had to sell a bunch of EVs just to break even and not be fined. Since Tesla was all-EV from the start, every car they created generated credits, so they ended up with a huge surplus, which they were allowed to sell to ICE automakers at a huge profit.
EV companies are entirely dependant on a govt created scam of carbon credits. They would instantly collapse without it. If people thought EVs are expensive now, imagine if how much absent the profit of these credits. lol free market
Old 12-26-21, 08:55 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
GM developed an EV way way back. They killed it. Toyota was partnered with the company we can't talk about. They killed the deal and sold all their stock in the company we can't talk about. Epic stupidity. Legacy auto has themselves to blame no one else, they didn't see where the market was heading.

Hyundai gets it they have halted all further ICE development and have some great EVs coming into the market.
The "market" didn't head anywhere. That's why EVs were a failure before. They were expensive and inconvenient, and still are to an extent. The only reason the market went somewhere is because of intervention. The game was rigged for a boutique EV car company to come in and rake in cash while ICE auto makers continued to make the cars that people could actually afford.

Old 12-26-21, 09:12 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

The "market" didn't head anywhere. That's why EVs were a failure before. They were expensive and inconvenient, and still are to an extent. The only reason the market went somewhere is because of intervention. The game was rigged for a boutique EV car company to come in and rake in cash while ICE auto makers continued to make the cars that people could actually afford.
Look at EV take in countries where the government isn't conspiring on this scheme, its virtually non existent.
Old 12-26-21, 09:52 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 519 Likes on 354 Posts

This thread isn't about tesla, but sorry, not sorry, that comment is just ridiculous. 'Legacy' companies have just that, a giant legacy they can't just turn off overnight. But, back to this actual thread topic, it's bold that hyundai is shutting down future ICE development and now they've actually launched models on a dedicated EV platform, they are absolutely coming after tesla and all. How successful they will be, who knows. And VW is selling a lot of EVs in europe i believe (maybe more than tesla now), and ford's mach-e is doing pretty well and the lightning should do well too.
What is ridiculous about profitability? Isn't that the long term goal? Whether from valuable credits, demand or manufacturing efficiency? Name another company with margins even close. You mention other EVs, what do you think the profitability of those are? Perhaps check your numbers about EV sales...

Back to topic.. I have to hand it to Hyundai to take bold steps towards their future. I wish them well.
Old 12-26-21, 10:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
What is ridiculous about profitability?
nothing ridiculous about profits. But you said tesla is just a better run company than legacy makers. That's what i found ridiculous, as tesla was a clean sheet company and legacy companies simply couldn't do that and i know you know that so comparing them is not reasonable. tesla not only had no 'baggage' to continue or taper off, they also got VAST sums of money from carbon credit purchases by others AND consumer incentives from govt to help their sales in the early days.

Back to topic.. I have to hand it to Hyundai to take bold steps towards their future. I wish them well.
Agreed.
Old 12-26-21, 10:21 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,898 Likes on 2,447 Posts

nothing ridiculous about profits. But you said tesla is just a better run company than legacy makers. That's what i found ridiculous, as tesla was a clean sheet company and legacy companies simply couldn't do that and i know you know that so comparing them is not reasonable. tesla not only had no 'baggage' to continue or taper off, they also got VAST sums of money from carbon credit purchases by others AND consumer incentives from govt to help their sales in the early days.
Start up and build out costs vastly outweigh being a clean sheet company it's not even close. If what you were saying was true then Hyundai for example could start a totally new company from scratch and build EVs for less than doing it under the Hyundai umbrella. What you're saying is quite honestly a bit crazy.

On carbon credits and incentives they are not unique to Tesla every auto maker qualified for them equally you're basically saying Tesla had an advantage because they gave themselves the advantage by being a first maker mover. Hyundai could have tried to do the same thing but they didn't, that is their fault and theirs alone. But again, they have seen where the market is heading and are embracing it.
Old 12-26-21, 11:16 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 519 Likes on 354 Posts

Let's see... Tesla has the advantage of being a clean sheet of paper while at the same time, "Wait for the big guys to get in".
Heck, apparantly the big guys can't even build out a charging network to support their EVs. Tesla spent the money, right? And what about motor and battery efficiency?

By the way, Tesla did not start the company based on tax credits, did not know there would be credits and did not ask for them. Any other manufacturer has the same benefit available, right?
Old 12-26-21, 01:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Start up and build out costs vastly outweigh being a clean sheet company it's not even close.
don't think i wrote anything disputing that. what you keep evading is legacy makers are like a giant container ship IN MOTION and have been trying to add an entirely new kind of container onto the ship, WHILE IT'S MOVING. tesla didn't have ANY of that baggage.

If what you were saying was true then Hyundai for example could start a totally new company from scratch and build EVs for less than doing it under the Hyundai umbrella. What you're saying is quite honestly a bit crazy.
thanks but that's not "what i was saying" either. you keep spinning things i didn't write. hyundai nor other legacy companies couldn't (or rather didn't) just start a new company from scratch because that would have been a gigantic capital gamble. sure one might say NOW that that's what they should have done, but again, easy to pontificate from the sidelines years later what legacy automakers should have done. since NONE of them did what you're saying (except maybe volvo with polestar?) i guess they're all 'crazy' in your view.

On carbon credits and incentives they are not unique to Tesla every auto maker qualified for them equally you're basically saying Tesla had an advantage because they gave themselves the advantage by being a first maker mover. Hyundai could have tried to do the same thing but they didn't, that is their fault and theirs alone. But again, they have seen where the market is heading and are embracing it.
not getting further into tesla debate (the only topic you seem to fixate on) but glad you're giving faint praise to hyundai at least.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Let's see... Tesla .... Tesla spent the money, right? .... By the way, Tesla ....
please stop bringing up tesla over and over and over again, or just leave the thread.
Old 12-26-21, 02:08 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts

Start up and build out costs vastly outweigh being a clean sheet company it's not even close. If what you were saying was true then Hyundai for example could start a totally new company from scratch and build EVs for less than doing it under the Hyundai umbrella. What you're saying is quite honestly a bit crazy.

No, the carbon credit market is a detriment to all current car makers, unless they just immediately abandoned their entire business model and stopped selling ICE and immediately switched to EV, which wasn't possible. And not something that anybody would have wanted. It was purposely built to favor new companies that were EV only and force the current makers to finance them. So no, in reality, current automakers didn't really have the same opportunity. It was rigged against them from the start.
Old 12-26-21, 05:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

No, the carbon credit market is a detriment to all current car makers, unless they just immediately abandoned their entire business model and stopped selling ICE and immediately switched to EV, which wasn't possible. And not something that anybody would have wanted. It was purposely built to favor new companies that were EV only and force the current makers to finance them. So no, in reality, current automakers didn't really have the same opportunity. It was rigged against them from the start.
i think that's exactly right and LeX2K, don't take that as a slam against tesla, who smartly leveraged all opportunities and basically pulled off a miracle. so no need for more cheap shots at ICE makers.

Old 12-26-21, 06:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I give a lot of credit to Hyundai Jumping in the game, building great EV products (Ioniq, Kona etc), partnering and heavily investing in battery tech and basically taking a huge risk. They were a little late in the game, but better now then never. Once more people get a taste for the Ioniq 5, I believe it's going to be pretty hot seller and make Hyundai a major EV player

Quick Reply: Hyundai shuts down main ICE development center