Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California home solar subsidies may go away soon

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-21, 09:37 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Umm, you mean like gas and oil subsidies and tax break to oil companies? Yep, does make me think
much of the "oil and gas subsidies" are being able to write off capital investments, which every company has access to in the tax code. Should a company not be able to write off the cost of building a new refinery or opening a new factory?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
CA has some of the highest energy prices in the Nation.
welcome to bizarro world where there is a perverse incentive setup for CA utility companies where laws GUARANTEE utility companies a fixed rate of return for building a power plant (regardless if its needed or not) that is greater than the rate of return of generating electricity. Guess who pays for that? Also they are closing down CAs last nuclear power plant, a truly carbon free power generation source that amounts to 10% of total state production, what is offsetting that?

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-...city-capacity/

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 12-26-21 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-26-21, 09:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
much of the "oil and gas subsidies" are being able to write off capital investments, which every company has access to in the tax code. Should a company not be able to write off the cost of building a new refinery or opening a new factory?

welcome to bizarro world where there is a perverse incentive setup for CA utility companies where laws GUARANTEE utility companies a fixed rate of return for building a power plant (regardless if its needed or not) that is greater than the rate of return of generating electricity. Guess who pays for that? Also they are closing down CAs last nuclear power plant, a truly carbon free power generation source that amounts to 10% of total state production, what is offsetting that?

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-...city-capacity/
Sure they should, and we as consumers benefit by lower gas prices then any other First wold country. Just as I should benefit by my State subsidizing alternative energy such as solar as people like me are not only taking stress off the grid, but we contribute back through sending excess energy we generate. These are taxes I pay to the state, and I'm getting something back
Old 12-26-21, 10:59 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
What do you think? That oil and gas companies would go out of business? I don't think that. I think the price of gasoline and natural gas would increase, which would be bad across the board, but especially to lower income people.

I'm all for corporate tax rates across the board to be ZERO. Nothing but another indirect tax on consumers.
I’m going to level with you, Bob. The net result of reducing the corporate rate to zero would be a direct reduction in your take home pay. Don’t fall for these surgically-targeted talking points. They are specifically designed to make the hard of thinking believe they are sticking it to the libs, all the while actually picking your pockets. They are assuming, correctly it appears, that you and myriad others don’t understand how things actually are. There is but one immutable rule. When corporations pay less, you pay more. In other posts, with discussions on oil subsidies and so on, an intelligent poster might reasonably conclude that you don’t really understand how tax systems actually work. With this one, at least they now know that for certain.
Old 12-26-21, 11:17 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
I’m going to level with you, Bob. The net result of reducing the corporate rate to zero would be a direct reduction in your take home pay. Don’t fall for these surgically-targeted talking points. They are specifically designed to make the hard of thinking believe they are sticking it to the libs, all the while actually picking your pockets. They are assuming, correctly it appears, that you and myriad others don’t understand how things actually are. There is but one immutable rule. When corporations pay less, you pay more. In other posts, with discussions on oil subsidies and so on, an intelligent poster might reasonably conclude that you don’t really understand how tax systems actually work. With this one, at least they now know that for certain.
As someone who is high up on the corporate hierarchy, you are spot on. Cutting the corporate tax rate does not benefit the average employee or average person, period. It only benefits those of us higher up the corporate ladder. If anyone believes otherwise, I have this bridge I would like to sell. That's all I'm going to say on the subject. So from my view point, keep cutting...
Old 12-26-21, 11:59 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 770 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Ya'll folks from sunny weather states are spoiled either way. Here in the NE the sky is gray 6 months out of the year, and then it rains for another 4 months, so solar is not even a thing.
I’m in NJ about 75 minutes from NYC and I only have an electric bill 3 months a year. Every other month is a $3 connection fee
Old 12-27-21, 03:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,453 Likes on 1,608 Posts

ok folks let's not go deep into the weeds on tax policy and philosophy or the oil/gas industry.

will california enact these solar cost changes?
Old 12-27-21, 06:10 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts

[deleted]
off topic

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-27-21 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-27-21, 06:16 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

[deleted]
off topic

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-27-21 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-27-21, 07:02 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok folks let's not go deep into the weeds on tax policy and philosophy or the oil/gas industry.

I think it will depend on what happens at the federal level. If these type of incentives go nation wide with the Feds, they will likely end these incentives and spend the tax revenue on something else.
Old 12-27-21, 08:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I doubt it. The people that run California aren't poor and probably have solar so they will have a personal interest in this too. Things like this have been proposed in the past and get struck down repeatedly. I'd be very surprised if it passed.
Old 12-27-21, 09:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I doubt it. The people that run California aren't poor and probably have solar so they will have a personal interest in this too. Things like this have been proposed in the past and get struck down repeatedly. I'd be very surprised if it passed.
we'll see. solar shouldn't just be for more affluent types (like you ). and since solar reduces revenue to the utility companies, they have to make that up by stiffing (most) people who don't and likely can't have solar.

re-posting key points...

“The CPUC’s proposed decision recognizes we can grow rooftop solar in California while taking steps to reduce inflated subsidies that have put an unfair cost burden on renters, seniors, disadvantaged communities and other working Californians who don’t have the ability or means to install rooftop solar systems,” said Kathy Fairbanks, a spokeswoman for Affordable Clean Energy for All, in a statement.

“The solar industry will tell you the ‘sky is falling,’ but what they won’t say is that the cost of rooftop solar has dropped 70% while the subsidies have continued to increase over the past 25 years. They won’t say that current … subsidies make rooftop solar the most expensive source of clean energy – 8 times costlier than the market value of solar energy.”

The proposed changes would not eliminate the cost shift, but take steps toward modernizing it so the price of maintaining the electric grid and other mandated programs is more equitably shared. “It’s time to update this 25-year-old program so we can more affordably accomplish our clean energy goals,” Fairbanks said.

The PUC’s public advocate — a quasi-independent, in-house Solomon the Wise, charged with protecting consumers — agrees.

California ratepayers are currently paying too much toward incentives for (rooftop solar) generation,” it said in a filing. The cost of those incentives “unfairly raises electricity rates for those customers without (rooftop solar) generation. These nonparticipating customers are paying unreasonable amounts of money … to subsidize the customers who can afford to install (them).

... The proposal before the PUC would credit solar owners for what their power is really worth on the market — a fraction of the full retail rate they now receive — and would increase what they pay to use the grid itself.
[/quote]

this actually sounds pretty logical.
Old 12-27-21, 09:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i posted this in car chat because it seemed related to EV charging, but maybe it should be in clubhouse since a) obviously not all EVs are in california, and b) this affects more than EVs.
Old 12-27-21, 09:20 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,950 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Big G should stay out of it completely we'd all be better off.
Old 12-27-21, 09:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Ditto. Not happening. I would bet your LC500 on it
Old 12-27-21, 11:49 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts

we'll see. solar shouldn't just be for more affluent types (like you ). and since solar reduces revenue to the utility companies, they have to make that up by stiffing (most) people who don't and likely can't have solar.

re-posting key points...

“The CPUC’s proposed decision recognizes we can grow rooftop solar in California while taking steps to reduce inflated subsidies that have put an unfair cost burden on renters, seniors, disadvantaged communities and other working Californians who don’t have the ability or means to install rooftop solar systems,” said Kathy Fairbanks, a spokeswoman for Affordable Clean Energy for All, in a statement.

“The solar industry will tell you the ‘sky is falling,’ but what they won’t say is that the cost of rooftop solar has dropped 70% while the subsidies have continued to increase over the past 25 years. They won’t say that current … subsidies make rooftop solar the most expensive source of clean energy – 8 times costlier than the market value of solar energy.”

The proposed changes would not eliminate the cost shift, but take steps toward modernizing it so the price of maintaining the electric grid and other mandated programs is more equitably shared. “It’s time to update this 25-year-old program so we can more affordably accomplish our clean energy goals,” Fairbanks said.

The PUC’s public advocate — a quasi-independent, in-house Solomon the Wise, charged with protecting consumers — agrees.

California ratepayers are currently paying too much toward incentives for (rooftop solar) generation,” it said in a filing. The cost of those incentives “unfairly raises electricity rates for those customers without (rooftop solar) generation. These nonparticipating customers are paying unreasonable amounts of money … to subsidize the customers who can afford to install (them).

... The proposal before the PUC would credit solar owners for what their power is really worth on the market — a fraction of the full retail rate they now receive — and would increase what they pay to use the grid itself.
this actually sounds pretty logical.
Those are all opinions, arguing points. I give PG&E free energy. Yes their revenue has dropped. So has their cost of production.
Did they mention this:
By 2024, PG&E expects to post a full-year profit of nearly $2.4 billion.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-27-21 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: California home solar subsidies may go away soon