Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai moving away from hydrogen

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-21, 01:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,531 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think that technology can allow ICEs to become dramatically more efficient, yes.
Are you for real? Petrol engine can't get much more thermal efficiency it's not going to happen no matter how the fuel is injected into the engine.
Old 12-30-21, 01:30 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,714 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Are you for real? Petrol engine can't get much more thermal efficiency it's not going to happen no matter how the fuel is injected into the engine.
Direct Injection is probably the most efficient method for fuel efficiency, but it has its drawbacks, especially in colder weather where fuel dilution and carbon buildup can become problematic. I've also seen people who mod for more power run into fueling issues where the injectors become a bottleneck and create lean conditions
Old 12-30-21, 01:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I am happy for all those who have the ability to charge at home, its people who don't have such luxury that have a problem. Hydrogen would be a viable gas substitute for them, so I wouldn't completely dismiss it. There is a good chance the government will start pushing hydrogen once all those who could switch to EV have done so, and there are still a lot of those for whom EV is not an option and they keep buying ICEs. It's still at least 10-15 years away from infancy.
Old 12-30-21, 03:22 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I think that technology can allow ICEs to become dramatically more efficient, yes.
As long as you're okay with that efficiency coming in the form of 4 cylinders.
Old 12-30-21, 04:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well you either believe that or you believe the laws of physics. I vaguely remember you suggesting something about dragging a generator behind a boat to power the boat, so there goes the laws of physics.
As an example, we couldn't fathom what the addition of hybrid tech would do for vehicle efficiency. We never thought we would see 450 hp 4 cyls that got 30 MPG. Of course the possibilities are not limitless...but to say they can't be further improved is silly.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
It would require extensive hybridization and addition of EV tech, but you could make ICE engines more efficient sure, it just gets to a point where it doesnt make sense to keep doing so vs just moving to EV.
Old 12-30-21, 04:21 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I am happy for all those who have the ability to charge at home, its people who don't have such luxury that have a problem. Hydrogen would be a viable gas substitute for them, so I wouldn't completely dismiss it. There is a good chance the government will start pushing hydrogen once all those who could switch to EV have done so, and there are still a lot of those for whom EV is not an option and they keep buying ICEs. It's still at least 10-15 years away from infancy.
Things are changing. Condos and apartments are looking into installing charging capability due to demand. It will take awhile, to be sure.
If hydrogen were a viable option, where is it? Of course, ya never know. Just yesterday, it seems, Teslas were only for rich CA granola heads, right?
Old 12-30-21, 04:22 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

As an example, we couldn't fathom what the addition of hybrid tech would do for vehicle efficiency. We never thought we would see 450 hp 4 cyls that got 30 MPG. Of course the possibilities are not limitless...but to say they can't be further improved is silly.It would require extensive hybridization and addition of EV tech, but you could make ICE engines more efficient sure, it just gets to a point where it doesnt make sense to keep doing so vs just moving to EV.
BEVs were a giant leap in terms of efficiency. It would take billions to get ICE remotely close to a BEV now so why bother. You'd also make the hybrid vastly more complex doing so while the EV retains its simplicity. Also, that's assuming the BEV development stands still. Right now, it's the infancy of the technology and it will only get more efficient over time...way more headroom for the tech.
Old 12-30-21, 04:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
BEVs were a giant leap in terms of efficiency. It would take billions to get ICE remotely close to a BEV now so why bother. You'd also make the hybrid vastly more complex doing so while the EV retains its simplicity. Also, that's assuming the BEV development stands still. Right now, it's the infancy of the technology and it will only get more efficient over time...way more headroom for the tech.
Exactly, would make no sense. Doesn't mean it isn't possible.
Old 12-30-21, 04:35 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,531 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
BEVs were a giant leap in terms of efficiency. It would take billions to get ICE remotely close to a BEV now so why bother.
No amount of money will make the gas engine come anywhere near the efficiency of a BEV. Toyota got over 40% with battery assist there is not much else that can be done at best there is a few more % to squeeze out.
Exactly, would make no sense. Doesn't mean it isn't possible.
It does, turning combustion into motion is inherently wasteful can't cheat physics.
Old 12-30-21, 04:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Its all gonna be fine lol
That was exactly the attitude that prevailed in the 60s and early 70s before the OPEC price/supply disasters hit in late 1973. I know....I lived through it.
Old 12-30-21, 04:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,714 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That was exactly the attitude that prevailed in the 60s and early 70s before the OPEC price/supply disasters hit in late 1973. I know....I lived through it.
I did as well as a youngling (6 years old), and the OPEC supply issue was a wake up call. Cars in those days were inefficient, wasteful and spewed toxins in the air. I still remember the gasoline smell that spewed from my father's car, which was fairly new. The answer to more power was throwing more displacement and bigger barreled carbs, and because you could fill up your tank for $5, nobody cared that their cars got 10 mpg on a good day
Old 12-30-21, 05:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

hydrogen isnt even a fuel source, its an energy carrier, it has no inherit energy
Old 12-30-21, 06:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

As an example, we couldn't fathom what the addition of hybrid tech would do for vehicle efficiency. We never thought we would see 450 hp 4 cyls that got 30 MPG. Of course the possibilities are not limitless...but to say they can't be further improved is silly.

It would require extensive hybridization and addition of EV tech, but you could make ICE engines more efficient sure, it just gets to a point where it doesnt make sense to keep doing so vs just moving to EV.
You said "dramatic improvement" of ICE efficiency, and that's just not possible. Manufacturers have already made engineering choices to get ICEs to the current stage of efficiency at the expense of reliability and any further possible improvements would to be marginal and impractical from the point of cost, reliability and serviceability. Adding EV tech is not making ICE itself anymore efficient.

Much the same goes for the EV tech, electric motors and battery tech that are available now have pretty much peaked out in terms of efficiency and capacity, and without some breakthrough new tech, there is not much room for improvement.
Old 12-30-21, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
You said "dramatic improvement" of ICE efficiency, and that's just not possible. Manufacturers have already made engineering choices to get ICEs to the current stage of efficiency at the expense of reliability and any further possible improvements would to be marginal and impractical from the point of cost, reliability and serviceability. Adding EV tech is not making ICE itself anymore efficient.

Much the same goes for the EV tech, electric motors and battery tech that are available now have pretty much peaked out in terms of efficiency and capacity, and without some breakthrough new tech, there is not much room for improvement.

I won't formally take sides in the ICE-efficiency debate....IMO both you and Steve have some valid points. But I will point out that from the sources I've seen, most of today's ICE engines are around 40% efficient in terms of the amount of fuel burned, with the best maybe at 50%. So, yes, there may be room for improvement, but at what cost?..and would it be cost-effective?
Old 12-30-21, 06:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
The technology of the BEV is not in its infancy, thats nonsense, BEVs are just about as old ICEVs. And the efficiency of EVs is not static, it depends on where and how the electricity is being generated and delivered, and there is credible evidence that all things considered BEVs are not anymore efficient and cause more harm to the environment.

Quick Reply: Hyundai moving away from hydrogen