Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai moving away from hydrogen

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-22, 06:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so when do you think they will see actual use?

When the government decides to force the big oil companies to transition from gasoline/diesel to hydrogen
Old 01-01-22, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

many on CL can afford EV or ICE, many whatever model they want. but i think you're ignoring less affluent people who can only afford used cars. yes they could buy used EVs but again, their bad apartment complex has no chargers so the EV is just wholly inconvenient. so if the govt mandates/"encourages" more people to buy EVs it's going to negatively financially impact a lot of people. not to mention the likely increasing electricity rates all over.
Absolutely true, and over time those BEVs will trickle down to used cars. Nobody is saying there will be no ICE cars anytime soon, but we are within ~ 15 years of seeing almost all NEW cars sold being EV. Thats just a foregone conclusion at this point. Once that happens, the % of EVs on the road will increase exponentially.

it will be market and govt driven, and will depend on a complex dynamic of incentives, innovation (or not), taxes, regulations, etc. none of us can say how quickly that will happen.
But having the inability to buy any new ICE will have a huge impact on that.

about car makers still selling the 'same old ICE models' maybe engines, but that doesn't mean they can't evolve in infotainment and safety alongside the EVs for example.
Except that carmakers have said thats not going to happen. New vehicle models are designed ~ 10 years before they are released. They should be well into working on the next generations of all the cars we're driving now. If they are not developing ICE vehicles now, there wont be any 10 years from now. I don't see carmakers keeping say the current Camry around when its 15+ years old. Toyota has said it will be replaced by an EV and I have no reason not to believe them.

Like everything else, all the luxury cars will be EVs and that will trickle down. And that "all the luxury cars will be EVs" is very close. If I don't buy a W223 for instance the W224 (or whatever it will be called) WILL be EV only.

it was a prediction for one model based on the buyer/leaser of an s-class who is definitely not poor and will want to be in the latest status symbol which will be an EV with a good charging setup at their big home or luxury condo/penthouse with great underground charging.
It will be an EV, but it will be an EV S Class. Mercedes is not going to throw the long history of the S Class away.

You're talking from both sides of your mouth on this issue is my point. In some discussions you say this is all coming and these EVs are the future and if you don't like it tough, and then in some you're saying this will never happen or its a long, long way away...like I asked, which is it?
Old 01-01-22, 07:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Absolutely true, and over time those BEVs will trickle down to used cars. Nobody is saying there will be no ICE cars anytime soon, but we are within ~ 15 years of seeing almost all NEW cars sold being EV. Thats just a foregone conclusion at this point. Once that happens, the % of EVs on the road will increase exponentially.
Every single car will be a battery EV?
Old 01-01-22, 07:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Every single car will be a battery EV?
Eventually? Absolutely. The carmakers have all said so.
Old 01-01-22, 08:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Eventually? Absolutely. The carmakers have all said so.
You are not dealing with reality. It is impossible to go all batter in 15 years. If you were to say ALL EV which was to include "battery, fuel cell, ICE-hydrogen, as well hybrid (which is an EV) and plug-in" then you would have my full support.
Old 01-01-22, 08:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You are not dealing with reality. It is impossible to go all batter in 15 years. If you were to say ALL EV which was to include "battery, fuel cell, ICE-hydrogen, as well hybrid (which is an EV) and plug-in" then you would have my full support.
I'm not the one who set that timeline LOL, the auto manufacturers are the one who said 15 years or so. I'm not making that up. EVs and PHEV are different, EVs are not plug in hybrids. You pretend other people are setting these timelines and we aren't, carmakers are.

And there are no serious hydrogen cars in development. Best to just come to terms with that.
Old 01-01-22, 09:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

IEVs are not plug in hybrids. t.
EVs are hybrids, plug-in hybrids, battery plug in and fuel cell. A hydrogen ICE engine is not a EV (I think). Those are the facts.

the auto manufacturers are the one who said 15 years or so.t.
NO they didn't. Not all auto manufactures have said 15 years. Hyundai has announced that Genesis will be fuel cell and battery electric....they have said NOTHING about their Hyundai brand.
Old 01-01-22, 09:07 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

EVs are hybrids, plug-in hybrids, battery plug in and fuel cell. A hydrogen ICE engine is not a EV (I think). Those are the facts.
The bans include hybrids and PHEVs so it's a moot point. Only BEV and FCEV won't be banned everywhere.
Old 01-01-22, 09:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

PHEVs are NOT EVs. If it used gasoline it is not an EV. When the industry discusses EVs they are not talking about PHEVs
Old 01-01-22, 09:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

PHEVs are NOT EVs. If it used gasoline it is not an EV. When the industry discusses EVs they are not talking about PHEVs
PHEV are EVs. I don't agree with it. Even a hybrid is an EV. I don't agree with that distinction and once started a thread voicing my displeasure with it... a hybrid is a "self-charging" electric vehicle.
Old 01-01-22, 09:47 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There wont be a ban, and realistically around 50% of cars sold are still going to be ICEs even when all of us are gone or too old to drive, not to even mention commercial vehicles. ICEs are not going anywhere, companies that "stop" developing ICEs will just buy them from third party companies, like a bunch of automaker using ZF and Aisin transmissions. As the deadline for the "ban" approaches, they will simply charge some sort of "environmental fee", making ICEs more expensive, but they will never ban them.
Old 01-01-22, 09:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

PHEV are EVs. I don't agree with it. Even a hybrid is an EV. I don't agree with that distinction and once started a thread voicing my displeasure with it... a hybrid is a "self-charging" electric vehicle.
That just isn’t true.
Old 01-01-22, 09:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

There are going to be loopholes in the legislation to classify certain cars are EVs, for instance something like Chevy Volt or BMW i3 that use an ICE as a generator. Heck, they classify SUVs as light trucks to this day, so they avoid paying "gas guzzler tax", they will create similar loopholes.
Old 01-01-22, 09:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That just isn’t true.
Battery electric vehicle BEV
Hybrid electric vehicle HEV
Plug-hybrid electric vehicle PHEV
Fuel cell electric vehicle FCEV

all of the above are electric vehicles.
Old 01-01-22, 09:54 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

many on CL can afford EV or ICE, many whatever model they want. but i think you're ignoring less affluent people who can only afford used cars. yes they could buy used EVs but again, their bad apartment complex has no chargers so the EV is just wholly inconvenient. so if the govt mandates/"encourages" more people to buy EVs it's going to negatively financially impact a lot of people. not to mention the likely increasing electricity rates all over.
That's another good point, this is a Lexus board, and your stereotypical Lexus owner is a wealthy accountant, lol. Look on other car forums where people have a bit more petrol running through their veins, they want nothing to do with EVs.

Quick Reply: Hyundai moving away from hydrogen