Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai moving away from hydrogen

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-22, 09:56 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,013 Likes on 2,531 Posts

My gas powered lawnmower is electric because it has a spark plug.
Old 01-01-22, 09:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Battery electric vehicle BEV
Hybrid electric vehicle HEV
Plug-hybrid electric vehicle PHEV
Fuel cell electric vehicle FCEV

all of the above are electric vehicles.
Lol, exactly, put a AAA battery in a Range Rover and call it somethingEV, it will pass. Our legislators are know to molest seemingly simple terms, this wont be any different.
Old 01-01-22, 10:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
My gas powered lawnmower is electric because it has a spark plug.
That is not an electric car They do have lawnmowers that are fully electric

Originally Posted by Och
Lol, exactly, put a AAA battery in a Range Rover and call it somethingEV, it will pass. Our legislators are know to molest seemingly simple terms, this wont be any different.
I don't really care how the legislators massage the terms. but a hybrid can run on electric only for a certain amount of time, a PHEV longer and a fuel cell is a pure electric vehicle, therefore they are electric vehicles. I am not sure if a hydrogen ICE can be really called a EV.

I just wish people would use the proper terms. Stop reading fake news on blogs that say "a report" etc. Maybe start to see the bigger picture. The economy will tank and slow down if everyone is charging ALL the time. How do you charge a giant cruise ship's battery? if we went ALL battery

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-01-22 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-01-22, 10:05 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

That is not an electric car They do have lawnmowers that are fully electric

I don't really care how the legislators massage the terms. but a hybrid can run on electric only for a certain amount of time, a PHEV longer and a fuel cell is a pure electric vehicle. I am not sure if a hydrogen ICE is called an EV.

I just wish people would use the proper terms. Stop reading fake news on blogs that say "a report" etc. Maybe start to see the bigger picture. The economy will tank and slow down if everyone is charging ALL the time. How do you charge a giant cruise ship's battery? if we went ALL battery
Legislators and corporations massage terms in all kinds of ridiculous ways. If a Tesla has "Full Self Driving", then indeed a lawn mower might as well be electric because it has a spark plug.
Old 01-01-22, 10:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
then indeed a lawn mower might as well be electric because it has a spark plug.
So all my cars are electric cars...LOL. But a diesel is not

But for real, a hybrid is an electric car because it can operate on electric only for part of the time. Not all the time. A Toyota bZ4x is an all electric vehicle.
Old 01-01-22, 10:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
we are within ~ 15 years of seeing almost all NEW cars sold being EV. Thats just a foregone conclusion at this point.
you're just so 'black and white' and definitive. try reading this, maybe it will clarify that commitments are ALL OVER THE PLACE.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-...when/100529330

and for many (like Ford) the commitment only applies to europe (where govts there have mandated everything). you do equivocate some by saying "almost all" but the F-150 is the highest selling vehicle in the u.s. and has been for decades. what percentage of those do you expect to become F-150 lightning sales any time soon? and that's assuming ford can make enough.

which brings up the important manufacturing side of things... the demand may be there, but if the supply isn't... kinda like tesla today, they're not even close to keeping up with demand.

But having the inability to buy any new ICE will have a huge impact on that.
car makers will run production based on demand and regulations and other corporate decisions. it may turn out not as many people want EVs as in your 'foregone conclusion'.

Like everything else, all the luxury cars will be EVs and that will trickle down. And that "all the luxury cars will be EVs" is very close. If I don't buy a W223 for instance the W224 (or whatever it will be called) WILL be EV only.
except there won't be a w224 ev by the time your w222 lease is up.

It will be an EV, but it will be an EV S Class. Mercedes is not going to throw the long history of the S Class away.
this is your wish/expectation, it's not fact.

You're talking from both sides of your mouth on this issue is my point. In some discussions you say this is all coming and these EVs are the future and if you don't like it tough, and then in some you're saying this will never happen or its a long, long way away...like I asked, which is it?
haha, thanks, well the truth is, it's COMPLICATED and the world is a big place with loads of different markets. i'd say there is ZERO chance the whole world will be driving EVs even by 2050 unless some magical charging/battery (Mr Fusion ) system comes along, although that could happen too.

i have stated that *I* am only finding BEV announcements interesting these days, but i am not the general market. switching to a different type of vehicles... motorcycles... i was just saying to a relative how i hate the noise harleys make and i have no idea why people love them or ride them (especially long distances!). so when harley comes out with a BEV motorcycle, do you imagine the traditional harley rider getting one? i'd say pretty unlikely! i also hate noisy trucks, or jeeps but there's TONS of them where i live. maybe because BEVs have advantages for off road they might convert some owners but it's going to take a long time.

travel on the highway much? how many tractor trailers will be electric in 15 years? first off, i expect them to cost a FORTUNE. second, the owner has to invest in serious charging (or battery swap) infrastructure.

even amazon has committed to 100,000 rivian BEV 'vans' (which don't exist yet - maybe a prototype) - how long before we see those?

PHEVs are NOT EVs. If it used gasoline it is not an EV. When the industry discusses EVs they are not talking about PHEVs
how about we be specific and state EV as you're using it as BEV, meaning ONLY an electric motor(s)/battery.

my point about all this is that i like EVs and yes more and more are coming, some by mfr push and some by govt edicts, but i think all those announced deadlines are highly speculative.
Old 01-01-22, 10:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

It's just hysteria, lol. Remember how last year EU had all this climate hysteria, and were closing gas and nuclear power plants? Well, they just declared gas and nuclear as "green, renewable and climate friendly", lol. Our clown world is so full of hypocrisy and noise, I just laugh at most of the nonsense.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/comm...en-2022-01-01/

https://www.dw.com/en/eu-proposes-la...dly/a-60308833

Old 01-01-22, 10:18 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't even know why we bring up cruise ships and other forms of transportation. The only ban is in light passenger vehicles and that is all we are talking about. Stop bringing other vehicles in this conversation. Planes, rockets, commercial vehicles will use petrol.
Old 01-01-22, 10:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't even know why we bring up cruise ships and other forms of transportation. The only ban is in light passenger vehicles and that is all we are talking about. Stop bringing other vehicles in this conversation. Planes, rockets, commercial vehicles will use petrol.
It is totally relevant. You have to look at the entire industry as a whole to see the bigger picture. Hyundai makes giant ships...Tesla is "supposed" to be releasing a battery electric commercial semi...Toyota will have battery electric buses/commercial vehicles that will convert to fuel cells when the battery needs to be exchanged.... eventually battery electric sales and momentum will stall and the looooong charging times will be an issue ....but one needs to look past the short term and look long term and see past the 30 yard line.
Old 01-01-22, 10:26 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well since you said passenger, do you realize that SUVs are classified as "light trucks". When we were buying my wifes X6M, we did not have to pay gas guzzler tax, but if we were to get an M5, with exact the same powertrain but better economy due to smaller size, we would have to pay it. There are going to be a ton of loopholes, lol.
Old 01-01-22, 10:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well since you said passenger, do you realize that SUVs are classified as "light trucks". When we were buying my wifes X6M, we did not have to pay gas guzzler tax, but if we were to get an M5, with exact the same powertrain but better economy due to smaller size, we would have to pay it. There are going to be a ton of loopholes, lol.
Yeah.. my 2004 4R had a $3000 V8 green levy fee.... 2004 Tundra with same V8 mysteriously does not have the green fee.....both can seat 5 and have 4 doors.

Eventually battery electrics will have battery recycling fee levied. All kinds of stuff can be added.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-01-22 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-01-22, 10:38 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

It is totally relevant. You have to look at the entire industry as a whole to see the bigger picture. Hyundai makes giant ships...Tesla is "supposed" to be releasing a battery electric commercial semi...Toyota will have battery electric buses/commercial vehicles that will convert to fuel cells when the battery needs to be exchanged.... eventually battery electric sales and momentum will stall and the looooong charging times will be an issue ....but one needs to look past the short term and look long term and see past the 30 yard line.
But the ban doesn't apply to the WHOLE INDUSTRY. Only applies to light passenger vehicles (and yes...SUVs too). Hydrogen success in trucking may not have an impact on BEV in passenger vehicles and vice versa. Petrol will be used in the commercial industry far into the future. BEV will win the light transportation segment. Hydrogen is the fuel of the future...and always will be.
Old 01-01-22, 10:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

I’m on my phone so I can’t quote everything, but When carmakers and the industry talk about EVs they are not including hybrids or plug in hybrids. Just look at the vehicles.

And again, I am not saying every car on the road will be an EV, but we are 15 years or so away from every new vehicle pretty much being sold being BEV. No that doesn’t mean EVERY VEHICLE ON THE ROAD will be an EV lol
Old 01-01-22, 10:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

t When carmakers and the industry talk about EVs they are not including hybrids or plug in hybrids. Just look at the vehicles.
Some do and some don't . Genesis says they will be all battery electric and fuel cell after a certain year. Toyota says "Lexus" will be all battery electric in some regions like the US.

Facts are, they use words like "electrified" or "electrification" They don't use electric vehicles to sum up everything. They use Zero Emissions or Carbon Neutral

From Genesis.com. Not some blog site.

https://media.genesis.com/news/genes...0-1f2a4bc1858a

• Genesis unveils the blueprints for electrification of its entire vehicle lineup to usher in sustainable future
  • Under the dual electrification strategy, all new vehicles will be purely electric starting from 2025 with fuel cell EVs and battery EVs
  • Genesis plans to become a 100 percent zero emission vehicle brand by 2030 and aims to become carbon neutral by 2035
Now for Lexus. from Lexus.com

https://pressroom.lexus.com/akio-toy...tric-vehicles/

by 2030, Lexus aims to realize a full lineup of BEVs in all vehicle segments, and to have BEVs account for 100% of vehicle sales in North America, Europe and China.

So the Toyota brand will be a mix of all forms of tech at that point. The Mercedes’ brand as whole will likely be very similar to Toyota

Originally Posted by Motorola
Did you read the article? They just killed the Genesis hydrogen car and shrunk the hydrogen department as of last month. This is the same time they decided to kill the ICE department.

Hyundai is going all in on BEV's- hybrids and especially hydrogen are losers. I imagine the only reason the entire hydrogen department hasn't been totally disbanded like the ICE department is because Hyundai still has to keep making commercial trucks that use that tech.
From Hyundai themselves.

"The hydrogen FCEV project has not been halted but rather delayed, as it encountered some difficulties during research, but Hyundai has been and will continue to develop hydrogen FCEVs," a Hyundai Motor official said.
I assume the Korean Times has proper journalism standards and can name the source if asked
https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/art...newsIdx=321471

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-01-22 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-01-22, 01:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Hydrogen is the fuel of the future...and always will be.
just checking, are you seriously saying that or being sarcastic?

we are 15 years or so away from every new vehicle pretty much being sold being BEV.
i assume you're only talking about the u.s. or maybe and other 'developed' regions/countries then. ?

No that doesn’t mean EVERY VEHICLE ON THE ROAD will be an EV lol
again need to distinguish between BEV and EV because hybrids and PHEVs have an electric component of course.

Toyota says "Lexus" will be all battery electric in some regions like the US.

So the Toyota brand will be a mix of all forms of tech at that point. The Mercedes’ brand as whole will likely be very similar to Toyota
little confused as you seem to be mixing toyota and lexus. i think it would be easier for all of lexus to be BEV long before toyota brand vehicles.

Quick Reply: Hyundai moving away from hydrogen