Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My last trip in my IS350

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-22, 08:02 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
amazingly, my LC500 which is heavier, faster, and with the 5L V8 gets better gas mileage than that.
​​​​​​2nd gen IS was definitely not known for being efficient. And it has a very aggressive 6 speed auto. Even though the 3rd gen has slightly more power, the 2nd gen is half second faster 0 to 60. To put that in perspective, the 3rd gen drives more like the 2nd gen when in Sports mode
Old 06-23-22, 10:49 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
​​​​​​2nd gen IS was definitely not known for being efficient. And it has a very aggressive 6 speed auto. Even though the 3rd gen has slightly more power, the 2nd gen is half second faster 0 to 60. To put that in perspective, the 3rd gen drives more like the 2nd gen when in Sports mode
It's your rear gearing. It's by far the most aggressive of the RWD Lexus cars and a common swap for people who want to trade legs for 0-60. I considered one but ultimately I found out that it doesn't gain anything if I can get traction on the 460 since they have more power and ratio to begin with.

The 4.08 diff makes it too hard to control slip and adds a shift in that with the AA80E puts you in a situation it's harder to be consistent. Better to just get the LSD instead and better tires since you can just stand on the throttle and get 4.8-5.0 0-60s and save the 80-120 performance. The 8 speed has such a superior gear spread to the 6 it makes the aggressive diff unneeded with a V8 since if you can get the power down it totally outclasses the 6.....issue is Lexus being Lexus thought it would be hilarious to give a near 400 hp car no LSD and auto 1-2 upshift if you have too much wheel rotation.

It forces you to drop $1500-2000 on a diff and $1300 on real tires if you want to be able to stand on it and go. It should have been factory for all of them like it is on the F-sports. Redline should also be stock at 7-7.2k on the 1UZ so you can avoid a shift longer since the engine can take it no problem.
Old 06-23-22, 11:21 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's your rear gearing. It's by far the most aggressive of the RWD Lexus cars and a common swap for people who want to trade legs for 0-60. I considered one but ultimately I found out that it doesn't gain anything if I can get traction on the 460 since they have more power and ratio to begin with.

The 4.08 diff makes it too hard to control slip and adds a shift in that with the AA80E puts you in a situation it's harder to be consistent. Better to just get the LSD instead and better tires since you can just stand on the throttle and get 4.8-5.0 0-60s and save the 80-120 performance. The 8 speed has such a superior gear spread to the 6 it makes the aggressive diff unneeded with a V8 since if you can get the power down it totally outclasses the 6.....issue is Lexus being Lexus thought it would be hilarious to give a near 400 hp car no LSD and auto 1-2 upshift if you have too much wheel rotation.

It forces you to drop $1500-2000 on a diff and $1300 on real tires if you want to be able to stand on it and go. It should have been factory for all of them like it is on the F-sports. Redline should also be stock at 7-7.2k on the 1UZ so you can avoid a shift longer since the engine can take it no problem.
The 2010 has the E-Diff, which of course is not a true locking diff and uses traction control to perform some of the same functions, so I was planning on changing it out with a Cusco LSD, but ultimately decided not to because I didn't want to spend almost $2K when I am in the end not going to track the car
Old 06-23-22, 11:53 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The 2010 has the E-Diff, which of course is not a true locking diff and uses traction control to perform some of the same functions, so I was planning on changing it out with a Cusco LSD, but ultimately decided not to because I didn't want to spend almost $2K when I am in the end not going to track the car
Yep, it's not worth it unless you need it. I have run into over 20 times now I wished my car had one/I was not moving like I expected so I am putting one in, I waited to see if I would actually benefit from one and I would. Your I350 with one is a crazy good track car and makes it even easier to take off with, the 6 took some time to spin up so it was never as bad as attempting a fully on converter stall launch in an 8 car.

Glad to see the car sold well for you, I am kind of surprised your didn't offer it to your daughter lol!
Old 06-23-22, 12:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yep, it's not worth it unless you need it. I have run into over 20 times now I wished my car had one/I was not moving like I expected so I am putting one in, I waited to see if I would actually benefit from one and I would. Your I350 with one is a crazy good track car and makes it even easier to take off with, the 6 took some time to spin up so it was never as bad as attempting a fully on converter stall launch in an 8 car.

Glad to see the car sold well for you, I am kind of surprised your didn't offer it to your daughter lol!
I did, I tried to get her to take it, but she doesn't want to give up her 2006 Camry SE. It has too much power for her. I even tried to give it to my son, he wants an EV . Kids these days....
Old 06-23-22, 12:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,497 Posts

I even tried to give it to my son, he wants an EV . Kids these days....
Wonder where he got that idea.
Old 06-23-22, 12:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I did, I tried to get her to take it, but she doesn't want to give up her 2006 Camry SE. It has too much power for her. I even tried to give it to my son, he wants an EV . Kids these days....
Man they have no idea what they are passing on lol! I would have jumped at the chance to go from a fwd Camry to an IS
Old 06-23-22, 01:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Man they have no idea what they are passing on lol! I would have jumped at the chance to go from a fwd Camry to an IS
She's a 21 year old girl who like her mother, doesn't like change. She will keep her phone until the battery dies, she will keep the Camry until it dies. The IS has too much power for her, she never liked driving it because of the amount of power it has. My son loves it, but he wants an EV. For sure if I was an 18 year old I would jump on an IS350, but times have changed
Old 06-23-22, 02:53 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

She's a 21 year old girl who like her mother, doesn't like change. She will keep her phone until the battery dies, she will keep the Camry until it dies. The IS has too much power for her, she never liked driving it because of the amount of power it has. My son loves it, but he wants an EV. For sure if I was an 18 year old I would jump on an IS350, but times have changed
Guess they have..... 'm not old yet but I'm 8 years older than them it sounds like and I always wanted more power than where I started.

Then again I'm still on a 6s despite having an SE gen2 sitting in my safe waiting on the day the 6s dies. On battery 4 now and mike 2 and screen 2, still keeps doing what I need it to do though so it will carry on
Old 06-23-22, 03:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Guess they have..... 'm not old yet but I'm 8 years older than them it sounds like and I always wanted more power than where I started.

Then again I'm still on a 6s despite having an SE gen2 sitting in my safe waiting on the day the 6s dies. On battery 4 now and mike 2 and screen 2, still keeps doing what I need it to do though so it will carry on
My daughter doesn't really care about power, and she doesn't like change. She still has her Google Pixel 4 with no plans to change her phone until it literally dies. She does like driving the Polestar, not because of the amount of power it has but because the power delivery feels more controllable
Old 06-25-22, 02:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Transporting of the IS has now been arranged, the car will be picked up next week (still waiting on the transport company to give me the exact day and date). Car will be officially gone very soon. So this will probably be my last post in Car Chat. There are several reasons for that, of which I won't get into all of them here, but the main reason is that it seems that when it comes to discussions on EV's, they devolve quickly, turn personal and usually end in people being kicked out and the thread closed. I never understood why, but it's just a spiraling motion that continually repeats itself. So I did a bit of self reflection, and I realized that this is foremost a Lexus forum, and the fact is that most people on this forum are just not interested in EV's. Although I myself have over 30 years of Toyota/Lexus ownership and just recently in the last two years started to make a move towards EV's, others here don't feel the same way as I do, and I am going to respect that. The majority of people here don't want to discuss EV's, and I don't want to force my views on an audience that just doesn't care about them, so I'm going to respect that and move on. Since my next major car purchase is most likely going to be another EV, I don't really have anything to discuss that a lot of members would be interested in hearing about.

Second thing I want to mention is the way rules are enforced here. Very inconsistent. I'm truly confused about the rules. Can I criticize Toyota, and if so is more than once off limits? But it's OK if I say stuff about Kia or another brand people don't like? If I make juvenile jokes or crass statements that are not directed towards a member, is that allowed or not? And does it warrant getting kicked out of a thread without any prior warning if it is against the rules? I don't want to point fingers at anyone, but it seems some members can go by one set of rules that don't seem to apply to others. This is not a point of debate, this has been noticed and discussed by many of us here. In the last 10 years I've been part of many car forums, and I've never experienced what I have here in Car Chat. Most forums I've been part of if you come in trolling, you get a warning, a suspension, than a permanent ban. It seems here you actually need horns and tail.

Anyway that is neither here nor there. I've generally enjoyed my time here, made a lot friends and learned a lot from other members from all walks of life, even anti EV members. But it's time to move on. I won't be responding to or reading anymore posts or threads, but you can PM me, I will be responding to PM's. Also for those that are interested in updates to my Polestar, you can check out my thread on the Polestar forum, I go under the same username AMIRZA786:

https://www.polestar-forum.com/forum...tar-2-forum.5/