Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

get ready for cars to cost more

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-22, 08:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
"talk is cheaper when the story is good...and the tales grow taller on down the line". REO Speedwagon

Would you ever purchase/lease a battery electric yourself MM?
Nice REO Speedwagon reference, Especially in Car Chat.

Old 01-01-22, 08:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

BEV, FCEV and PLUG-in hybrid.
let me know when FCEV's are being sold in anything but negligible numbers.
Old 01-01-22, 08:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LMAO. Let me know when a semi, an airplane, a dump truck, and cruise ship or a oil barge can all go battery electric It is impossible to go all battery.

It is battery + hydrogen for the future... then in like 2050 or 2060 or thereafter...all hydrogen.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-01-22 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-01-22, 09:09 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I just saw a Mirai the other day and it sharted out water all over my car. Super annoying.
Old 01-01-22, 09:32 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm sorry if this outlook doesn't agree with your EV/Tesla investments, but we have to look at the real world....not pie-in-the-sky forecasts. BEVs are not going to run on Genie-bottles, where you just close your eyes, rub the bottle, and the vehicle's charge-meter automatically jumps to 100%.
I am way, way more than 10x on my EV stocks they have gone way past the sky so you worry about your investments I'll worry about mine. As for "my outlook" what are you talking about? I flat out said the market should decide organically not be forced into electric vehicles. Maybe it's not my outlook that is skewed here.
Old 01-01-22, 09:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2

I knew someone would eventually get it LOL
Old 01-01-22, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Don't want to get too far off-topic, but, for those who are not aware of it, REO stands for Ransom E. Olds, who founded what later became Oldsmobile. Due to some legal squabbles, the company split, and the REO part ended up building trucks and buses.....combing with Diamond to form Diamond REO Trucks. Oldsmobile, Buick (David Dunbar Buick), and Cadillac went on to form General Motors.....joined a few years later by Louis Chevrolet's company.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-01-22 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-01-22, 03:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't want to get too far off-topic, but, for those who are not aware of it, REO stands for Random E. Olds, who founded what later became Oldsmobile. Due to some legal squabbles, the company split, and the REO part ended up building trucks and buses.....combing with Diamond to form Diamond REO Trucks. Oldsmobile, Buick (David Dunbar Buick), and Cadillac went on to form General Motors.....joined a few years later by Louis Chevrolet's company.
you know MM….just like the X frame info you posted…Cause I can’t fight this feeling anymore
….I have to tell you that I learn so much from you from a historical perspective and POV

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-01-22 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-01-22, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

you know MM….just like the X frame info you posted…I can’t fight this feeling anymore
…I have to tell you that I learn so much from you from a historical perspective and POV
Thanks, Jill.....but, as with the Lincoln Continental and the new NX, you often get to see and judge new vehicles up close before I do. It helps me get an idea of what to expect.
Old 01-01-22, 06:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I just saw a Mirai the other day and it sharted out water all over my car. Super annoying.
LOL I was behind one on my previous trip, and I got a free car wash!
Old 01-02-22, 07:22 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 434 Posts

Wow........The goverment best give a great incentive on all bev's, no matter how many a manufacturer sells.....
Old 01-02-22, 08:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Wow........The goverment best give a great incentive on all bev's, no matter how many a manufacturer sells.....
Top individual in the current government says GM is leading the way in electric vehicles and changed the entire industry. So I would lower expectations a bit when it comes to fairness and logic behind any legislation.
Old 01-03-22, 11:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

generally i don't think the govt should be shelling out billions to distort markets and yes, i know this has happened with fossil fuels, and ICE vehicles. i'm just a 'limited govt' guy. it's true there are national imperatives where govt can help (obviously national defense of course), and oil exploration for example, is enormously risky and expensive, so govt loans/subsidies there, in order for the u.s. for example to lessen its dependence on the middle east, makes sense to me, even though we've now abandoned all that.
sure, but everyone is doing it. Tesla is getting incentives in Germany, all manufacturers are getting huge incentives in EU.
With Tesla, Rivian and Lucid, at least there is proof it works, results are there. So if US govt didnt spend money there, they would still spending on something that wouldnt work, and there would be no Tesla, Rivian, Lucid.

As to 50% in EU, it is already happening, it is done. Trajectory is already there. Unlike USA, countries like Germany already have 30% sales being BEV+PHEV in December 2021. I think that is 10x more than in US.

And Europe as a whole will have over >50% of hybrid+phev+bev in December 2021, even counting eastern european countries... again, this is probably 5-10x more than USA.

Western Europe is already done deal, nothing can happen to change this. Just like Norway is now >90% BEV country.
Old 01-04-22, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
sure, but everyone is doing it.
all politicians lie too. doesn't make it right.

So if US govt didnt spend money there, they would still spending on something that wouldnt work, and there would be no Tesla, Rivian, Lucid.
not sure how u.s. govt helped rivian and lucid. rivian hugely financed by amazon and ford among others. lucid hugely financed by the newfangled "****" (company with no business other than having a shatload of money).

As to 50% in EU, it is already happening, it is done. Trajectory is already there. Unlike USA, countries like Germany already have 30% sales being BEV+PHEV in December 2021. I think that is 10x more than in US.
i see what you did there. 30% is not 50% and 30% BEV+PHEV is not 30% let alone 50% BEV.

And Europe as a whole will have over >50% of hybrid+phev+bev in December 2021, even counting eastern european countries... again, this is probably 5-10x more than USA.
it's not surprising after dieselgate and europeans being used to higher fuel economy. they don't want fossil fuel for economic reasons (with incentives too) not some 'green' reason.

Western Europe is already done deal, nothing can happen to change this. Just like Norway is now >90% BEV country.
LOL, love the constant quoting by so many about norway which has less people thant metro atlanta and a government who implemented policies making it stupid to buy anything else. i guess norway will save the planet.
Old 01-04-22, 07:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, love the constant quoting by so many about norway which has less people thant metro atlanta and a government who implemented policies making it stupid to buy anything else. i guess norway will save the planet.
Speaking of Norway…very bad to talk about EV taxes that are definitely coming

https://www.wired.com/story/norway-e...c-vehicle-tax/

Quick Reply: get ready for cars to cost more