Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Car Salesmen See Car Buyers

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-22, 08:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They get a ton of people that want to go drive these cars with no intention of buying one. I don’t blame them for dissuading people on the phone. Just go meet them and show them you’re a real
person.
I understand, but I've never had an issue calling or emailing a salesperson and setting up an appointment for a test drive without having to sign anything. If lots of people blow them off, they can just say "We don't make appointments because too many people don't keep them; 1st come, 1st served. Let me give you some times that we are not typically busy, and I hope to see you then." I'd never agree to sign purchase order as a precondition for a test drive--there's plenty of other dealers who want my business (at least in normal times).

I still think it's related to it being a BRZ. For that model, I get it.
Old 01-03-22, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I should be able to call and say "I want to come in Thursday for a test drive" without having to sign a purchase order. I want an appointment so I don't have to wait around the dealership.
In my (long) experience, test drives are usually not difficult at all to get, particularly if you do it for the right motives. For instance, I don't believe in joyriding or just taking something out on the road to "see what she'll do".....that's a juvenile notion, sometimes risky, and a waste of the sales rep's time. Most of the time, if and when I test-drive something, it is for a vehicle that interests me personally as a possible future purchase, a vehicle that someone (often a CL-member right here on the forum) has asked me to sample for them, if I'm looking or shopping for one of my neighbors, or, in some cases, such as with the pre-paid test-drive debit-cards that Ford and Lincoln sign people up for at the D.C. Auto Show, because some companies actually want you to sample their products and compare them to the competition. In fact, some of the big auto shows have small test-drive circuits or loops set up around the show itself, in the city streets, although I admit that those are cursory at best, and do not give you a very good idea of what the vehicle will actually be like except in stop and go driving.

Usually, though, if you simply show your valid Driver's License and have it Xeroxed (dealerships do that for their own protection in case of an attempted carjacking or thievery), give the dealer-rep the stock-number of the vehicle you want to sample if it is posted on the vehicle, so he or she can go get the key/fob, and, if responding to a Ford/Lincoln show-promotion by the closing date, bringing the registration number that you get in your E-Mail when you sign up, you should have no problem getting at least enough of a test-drive to give you a decent idea of what the vehicle is going to feel like in most driving situations. You may or may not be actually riding with a salesperson, depending on dealer-policy, how concerned the reps are about keeping social-distancing in the pandemic, insurance requirements of the dealership, and if the salesperson knows you well or not. At the auto shows, the reps might want you to take a puff on a Breathalyzer before the test drive, but that is certainly reasonable given the number of persons who might have been drinking before or at the show, especially if they clean and sanitize the mouthpiece on the instrument properly before each use...more important then ever in the pandemic. Even if a vehicle is available for a test-drive (and there are no problems with me doing so), I will, sometimes, as I did recently with the Ford Maverick, forgo the test-drive if there is only one or two in stock and is very difficult to get...I wouldn't want to risk damage to it on the road, even though I have never wrecked a vehicle while test-driving it.

In fact, probably the biggest problem with test-drives right now is not so much red-tape involved with them as simply the lack of new vehicles in supply at so many dealerships. It's one of the worst situations I've seen in years. I, for one, am particularly waiting for the new 2022 Lexus NX.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-22 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-03-22, 09:06 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm pretty sure this is more about the BRZ, and people coming in to joy ride it without being serious, than the dealer's overall policy. Call them again and tell them you want to test drive an Impreza and see what they say. Every car dealer I have ever dealt with asks me in the first engagement "Have you driven it yet?"
I told them I’m a previous BRZ owner and have owned 2 Subarus before.
Its my local dealer so they know who I am.

It same bs all the time. You shouldn’t need to prove yourself to test out a vehicle and you should also not feel any obligation to buy it once you do.

The dealer sales model does not favor consumers at all.

I think the Apple and Tesla model of having consumer friendly stores to test out /play with products with no pressure is a big reason why those brands have been so successful.

I can only imagine how many ppl walked into a Subaru dealership genuinely interested in a BRZ and told to kick rocks, then the companies complain why nobody buys them. Its not a SUV that sells itself on cargo room, its a sports car which sells itself on the driving experience which ppl need to experience.

BTW that poor BRZ is still sitting there outside dealer almost a month later…..
Old 01-03-22, 09:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I understand, but I've never had an issue calling or emailing a salesperson and setting up an appointment for a test drive without having to sign anything. If lots of people blow them off, they can just say "We don't make appointments because too many people don't keep them; 1st come, 1st served. Let me give you some times that we are not typically busy, and I hope to see you then." I'd never agree to sign purchase order as a precondition for a test drive--there's plenty of other dealers who want my business (at least in normal times).

I still think it's related to it being a BRZ. For that model, I get it.
Its for a BRZ, and this sort of thing only happens when its a really hot limited run model. Its not about people not keeping appointments, its about having a hot car that a demo is hard to come by, they try and keep the demo as low mileage as they can and they don't want a bunch of people driving it just to drive it.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I told them I’m a previous BRZ owner and have owned 2 Subarus before.
Its my local dealer so they know who I am.
Then you need to find a new Subaru dealer. I have no doubt that if I called any dealer where I have done business and they know me well, like Lexus and Mercedes they would let me drive whatever I wanted. Are you sure they know you by name and not by face?
Old 01-03-22, 09:20 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

They get a ton of people that want to go drive these cars with no intention of buying one. I don’t blame them for dissuading people on the phone. Just go meet them and show them you’re a real person.
Who are they to make that determination?
Also it’s not their job to screen people but to present the product and answer questions.

The more ppl that test out the product, the better it will sell especially if its good. An enthusiast car like a BRZ is constantly debated on forums or with friends, so imagine instead of me complaining I couldn’t drive it, i could have posted a thread here or on FT86 or spoken to friends about my experience with new car etc. It helps spread the word. Unfortunately these dealers are thinking very short term results not long term impact/growth.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-03-22 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-03-22, 09:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Also it’s not their job to screen people but to present the product and answer questions.

The more ppl that test out the product, the better it will sell especially if its good.
Who are they? They're a business that is trying to protect their interests. They have a demo that is reduced in value every time someone drives it, and they have commissioned salespeople who's time is valuable. The dealership isn't interested in "spreading awareness of the car", they're interested in selling cars.

Its why we in the real estate industry won't just go show you houses because you want to see houses. You need to be pre-approved by a lender, etc.
Old 01-03-22, 11:54 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Who are they? They're a business that is trying to protect their interests. They have a demo that is reduced in value every time someone drives it, and they have commissioned salespeople who's time is valuable. The dealership isn't interested in "spreading awareness of the car", they're interested in selling cars.

Its why we in the real estate industry won't just go show you houses because you want to see houses. You need to be pre-approved by a lender, etc.
That’s called discrimination.

The RE industry is just as bad as the auto industry when it comes to “screening” buyers that’s why they are not well liked.

A demo is reduced in value by putting 5miles on it lol
What is this a LaFerrari?

You sound like an expert is sales excuse bs!
Old 01-03-22, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That’s called discrimination.

The RE industry is just as bad as the auto industry when it comes to “screening” buyers that’s why they are not well liked.

A demo is reduced in value by putting 5miles on it lol
What is this a LaFerrari?

You sound like an expert is sales excuse bs!
And you sound like a typical entitled customer who thinks everybody should just bend over backwards to kiss your fanny...hence why your dealership isn't interested in helping you test drive this car.

5 miles per test drive ads up, each test drive adds 5 miles. It also takes a salesperson away from potential customers who are real buyers, and it puts the vehicle at risk. Salespeople don't get paid letting you joyride around, and with that attitude they know they can't depend on you to give them the business so why should they bother with you?

As for my industry...sorry, I'm not a house tour guide. If you're not serious about buying a house then I'm not going to drive you around and show you houses. I am a highly successful salesperson, and part of that is time management and pre-qualifying prospects before investing time in them. Again, I don't get paid for showing people houses.

I've been doing this for 20 years...trust me "I don't want to get pre-approved just show me some houses and I promise I will make sure you get the business when the time comes" is full....of....poop. Pre-approval and agency agreement, or find another tour guide.
Old 01-03-22, 12:23 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

As for my industry...sorry, I'm not a house tour guide. If you're not serious about buying a house then I'm not going to drive you around and show you houses. I am a highly successful salesperson, and part of that is time management and pre-qualifying prospects before investing time in them. Again, I don't get paid for showing people houses.
My brother went thru this when he first started out in real estate.
Yeah, he spent the first 2 years giving up his saturdays and sundays showing houses for free, not including the gas and wear and tear on his car.
Lots of entitled people thought this was ok and of course they never came back when they were ready to buy even after he felt he earned their business.

Then he got smart and started qualifing the buyer to see if they were ready to buy or just in the research phase so he could use his time and resurces more wisely.
Success for him and his customers followed.
Old 01-03-22, 12:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

The more ppl that test out the product, the better it will sell especially if its good. An enthusiast car like a BRZ is constantly debated on forums or with friends, so imagine instead of me complaining I couldn’t drive it, i could have posted a thread here or on FT86 or spoken to friends about my experience with new car etc. It helps spread the word. Unfortunately these dealers are thinking very short term results not long term impact/growth.
If it is a highly sought after car and one that is tough to get, especially because of the chip shortage, I can understand not allowing test drives. It's just like when the Supra came out, you could barely get a dealer to let you sit inside one, let alone drive one. Unless it's an appliance car, if I am a buyer I want to be the only one that has driven the car.
Old 01-03-22, 12:49 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by patgilm
If it is a highly sought after car and one that is tough to get, especially because of the chip shortage, I can understand not allowing test drives. It's just like when the Supra came out, you could barely get a dealer to let you sit inside one, let alone drive one. Unless it's an appliance car, if I am a buyer I want to be the only one that has driven the car.
In those circumstances you order the car which is what 90% of BRZ/86 buyers do anyway.

This speaks to the complete disconnect of whats good for the company is not good for salesperson.

Subaru created a great handling affordable sports car but people can’t even experience it so how do you grow sales? imagine how many Tesla sales would be lost if ppl couldn’t experience the cars.

I agree same thing happened with Supra, C8 Corvette etc.
Again its a detriment to the manufacturer who created a great product.
Old 01-03-22, 12:59 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

And you sound like a typical entitled customer who thinks everybody should just bend over backwards to kiss your fanny...hence why your dealership isn't interested in helping you test drive this car.

5 miles per test drive ads up, each test drive adds 5 miles. It also takes a salesperson away from potential customers who are real buyers, and it puts the vehicle at risk. Salespeople don't get paid letting you joyride around, and with that attitude they know they can't depend on you to give them the business so why should they bother with you?

I've been doing this for 20 years...trust me "I don't want to get pre-approved just show me some houses and I promise I will make sure you get the business when the time comes" is full....of....poop. Pre-approval and agency agreement, or find another tour guide.
Honestly you sound so arrogant - I can’t imagine how your clients must feel.

I’m entitled because a car dealer has a car im interested in and I inquired about a test drive? I thought that was what dealers are for. The car is sitting outside collecting dust. Its not a special model like BMW M5CS which obviously no reasonable person would ask to test drive.

5 miles adds up?! If they had 10ppl test drive it and not sell the car, I would be shocked. A car having 50 miles on it is not “used”.

I love that you don’t want ppl wasting your time but you have posted a bunch of reviews on CL going on bunch of test drives without any intention of buying a car. I think you drove a 7series 10times or something. Obviously nobody’s time is as valuable as yours.🙄

You work in RE industry which is probably one of the worst industries to be in because everyone is trying to beat each other and you’re chasing commissions.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-03-22 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-03-22, 01:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I am with you

Car dealers have many clients, some of them they need to make the experience special, and sometimes the experience needs to be "extra" special. My latest 4R was $63K after all the taxes. It had to blue. Factory ordered if possible. I said to sales manager who we only deal with, that my new 21 4R has to not be previously test driven if the car comes from another dealer. So the sales manager said that they will look for model with less than 5km. Couldn't find one, when I got my new 4R it has 2km on it. This is how you get repeat business and referrals. I did not have to leave any deposit for this transaction

As for a BRZ, it is brand new. Very hard to find. The delivery needs to be very special for that buyer.

Originally Posted by patgilm
Unless it's an appliance car, if I am a buyer I want to be the only one that has driven the car.
​​​​​​​ Well said.
Old 01-03-22, 01:09 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

This is absolutely true, but sometimes taken too far, to their own detriment. I once went to a BMW dealer to check out a used M3 Convertible I was interested in. I don't recall the mileage, was probably around 15k. They were a hard no on test drives without a signed bill of sale. I showed up in a <2 year old Corvette, handed the salesman my license and an insurance card for the 1-year-old 3-series (same MY as the M3) I was genuinely looking to upgrade from--clearly not a typical joyrider. But they stood their ground, so I left and have never been back to that dealer.
Old 01-03-22, 01:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This speaks to the complete disconnect of whats good for the company is not good for salesperson.
Then the company can pay salespeople to demo cars so they get paid whether they sell a car or not. Like Tesla does. And Lucid.

Subaru created a great handling affordable sports car but people can’t even experience it so how do you grow sales? imagine how many Tesla sales would be lost if ppl couldn’t experience the cars.
Car salespeople don't work for Subaru. They work for the dealership.

I agree same thing happened with Supra, C8 Corvette etc.
Again its a detriment to the manufacturer who created a great product.
Yet they sell all of them they can make...

Honestly you sound so arrogant - I can’t imagine how your clients must feel.
I have many many many lifetime satisfied clients and I'm one of the most respected people in my marketplace. But...I value what I do and I don't work for free. I would go to the ends of the earth for my clients, but if you don't value me or my time and act like you're entitled to anything from me...then why should I give a crap about you? You can go take advantage of someone of lesser caliber than me. Anybody with a chip on their shoulder like this never gets close to being my client.

I’m entitled because a car dealer has a car im interested in and I inquired about a test drive? I thought that was what dealers are for. The car is sitting outside collecting dust. Its not a special model like BMW M5CS which obviously no reasonable person would ask to test drive.
Like I said, walk in there and they will let you test drive it I'm sure, assuming that they actually want your business...they might not.

You are entitled because you expect and demand that that dealership do what you want them to do...just because you're you. They have told you the circumstances under which they will let you test drive the car and that doesn't work for you...so take your "business" elsewhere. Why should they change their policy for you? THATS the entitlement. If you really wanted this car, you'd find a way to drive it and get one.

5 miles adds up?! If they had 10ppl test drive it and not sell the car, I would be shocked. A car having 50 miles on it is not “used”.
The issue is they have 200 people who want to test drive it, not 5.

I love that you don’t want ppl wasting your time but you have posted a bunch of reviews on CL going on bunch of test drives without any intention of buying a car. I think you drove a 7series 10times or something. Obviously nobody’s time is as valuable as yours.🙄
I am 100% upfront with salespeople that I am just looking and am not interested in buying, and they typically just let me go alone. And I test drive extremely few vehicles that I don't actually have interest in. As for the 7 Series, I almost bought one, of course I test drove it multiple times (maybe 3 times, not 10). All those test drives I was in the car alone.

Take the EQS I looked at, I didn't even ask them to drive it because it was going to sell in 5 minutes at a huge markup and it was on the showroom floor. Asking them to let me drive that would be unfair.

You work in RE industry which is probably one of the worst industries to be in because everyone is trying to beat each other and you’re chasing commissions.
Thats completely untrue. In fact the industry as a whole is incredibly cooperative, supportive and congenial.

Originally Posted by geko29
This is absolutely true, but sometimes taken too far, to their own detriment. I once went to a BMW dealer to check out a used M3 Convertible I was interested in. I don't recall the mileage, was probably around 15k. They were a hard no on test drives without a signed bill of sale. I showed up in a <2 year old Corvette, handed the salesman my license and an insurance card for the 1-year-old 3-series (same MY as the M3) I was genuinely looking to upgrade from--clearly not a typical joyrider. But they stood their ground, so I left and have never been back to that dealer.
Of course sometimes its taken too far. I have a feeling here this has to do with RNM's relationship with this specific dealer more than its anything else.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-03-22 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: How Car Salesmen See Car Buyers