Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Car Salesmen See Car Buyers

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-22, 02:12 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

On the subject of wasting everybody's time. lol

Many years ago I went to a motorcycle store.
They must've had a couple hundred used motorcycles of all kinds- Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, you name it they had it.
All varying condition from almost new to worn out rusty beaters that looked sketchy to ride.
These bikes were lined up like dominos outside and if you wanted to test drive one they threw you the keys no problem and you were popping wheelies and burning rubber(I'm exagerrating) but they really didn't seem to care.

On the other side of the store they had a small selection of Harley Davidsons.
From the best of my memory the sign read
"No touching"
"No sitting"
"No riding"
"No exceptions!"
I saw only one Harley I liked and I was going to buy it but I told the salesman I wasn't buying it without driving it and we were a little apart on their asking price but I was upfront.

Of course they said,"I'm sorry, we can't let anyone ride these."
Honestly I can understand why, they were chromed out and detailed and the last thing they wanted is someone to drop or lay the bike down.
I drove my old Porshe and had the title with me and let the sales manager hold it and told him if I like how it rides I will buy it if we can come to an agreement on price.

Anyway, they made an exception and moved 5 motorcycles out of the way to get the one I wanted out of the showroom and said I could drive it in the parking lot.
I really wanted to like the bike but the whole setup was wrong for me and didn't feel right- meaning I would have to change seat, handlebars and more for my comfort.
Feeling really bad I told them I was sorry but we had no deal and they gladly gave me back my car's title and encouraged me to come back and see their new bikes as they get them in.
Old 01-03-22, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Exactly, they knew you were a real buyer, you didn't make demands and they made it work for you. This is how it works 9/10 times.
Old 01-03-22, 02:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

"No touching"
"No sitting"
"No riding"
"No exceptions!"
I saw only one Harley I liked and I was going to buy it but I told the salesman I wasn't buying it without driving it and we were a little apart on their asking price but I was upfront.

n.
Harley Davidson Motorcycles are very special
Old 01-03-22, 02:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My brother went thru this when he first started out in real estate.
Yeah, he spent the first 2 years giving up his saturdays and sundays showing houses for free, not including the gas and wear and tear on his car.
Lots of entitled people thought this was ok and of course they never came back when they were ready to buy even after he felt he earned their business.

Then he got smart and started qualifing the buyer to see if they were ready to buy or just in the research phase so he could use his time and resurces more wisely.
Success for him and his customers followed.
Oh yeah, everybody goes through that...its part of paying your dues!

When you respect yourself, people respect you too. I mean if a customer sees that you will fall all over yourself to meet them whenever they want and you'll drop anything and answer the phone all hours of the night...how can they respect you?
Old 01-03-22, 02:34 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Harley Davidson Motorcycles are very special
For sure.
This was 25 years ago before Harley dealers popped up on every exit all over the US.
If they were lucky enough to get some cherry used ones they were in the showroom with a "look but don't touch" attitude. lol
Old 01-03-22, 02:35 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I mean if a customer sees that you will fall all over yourself to meet them whenever they want and you'll drop anything and answer the phone all hours of the night...how can they respect you?
They don't! lol
Old 01-03-22, 02:50 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Like many professionals, car salesmen have their own patois. Here are a few terms they throw around in the showroom.
My best friend in high school became a salesperson at his father's Datsun dealership in the 70's and had his own used-car lot in the 80's. He ran down a list of "shop talk" with me 40 years ago, and it was eerily similar to the list you shared. I also had a brother-in-law who was a car salesperson in the same era, and his dealership shared similar "code" language. Perhaps the business is prone to this type of language, as they hold their cards close to their chest. As with many sales jobs, salespeople have it in their best interest to withhold truth and promote their own narrative. Using code language is just one of their many tools.

BTW...I was happy to hear at the time (in the 80's) that I had "gold *****!" I think that's what started the "list" conversation with my buddy...he was attempting to sell me a Corvette and he liked my credit rating.

Other then the racist stuff, I don't have anything against car salespeople or their tactics. Every profession and business has their own "shop talk," and all want to maximize profits. I would have tried my hand at selling cars, but didn't want to deal with the 10-15% of the population who is certifiably insane. That stuff wears you down. Kudos to salespeople who manage to circumvent these waters!
Old 01-03-22, 03:23 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On the subject of wasting everybody's time. lol

Many years ago I went to a motorcycle store.
They must've had a couple hundred used motorcycles of all kinds- Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, you name it they had it.
All varying condition from almost new to worn out rusty beaters that looked sketchy to ride.
These bikes were lined up like dominos outside and if you wanted to test drive one they threw you the keys no problem and you were popping wheelies and burning rubber(I'm exagerrating) but they really didn't seem to care.

"No touching"
"No sitting"
"No riding"
"No exceptions!"

Of course they said,"I'm sorry, we can't let anyone ride these."
Honestly I can understand why, they were chromed out and detailed and the last thing they wanted is someone to drop or lay the bike down.
I drove my old Porshe and had the title with me and let the sales manager hold it and told him if I like how it rides I will buy it if we can come to an agreement on price.

Anyway, they made an exception and moved 5 motorcycles out of the way to get the one I wanted out of the showroom and said I could drive it in the parking lot.
I really wanted to like the bike but the whole setup was wrong for me and didn't feel right- meaning I would have to change seat, handlebars and more for my comfort.
Feeling really bad I told them I was sorry but we had no deal and they gladly gave me back my car's title and encouraged me to come back and see their new bikes as they get them in.
But ... why should you feel bad? THIS is exactly why you needed to ride it before buying--you need to know that you can live with it before you buy. To expect a customer to commit to buying a bike or car without driving it is ... insane. It's a policy that should be reserved for very exclusive vehicles.
Old 01-03-22, 03:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
But ... why should you feel bad? THIS is exactly why you needed to ride it before buying--you need to know that you can live with it before you buy. To expect a customer to commit to buying a bike or car without driving it is ... insane. It's a policy that should be reserved for very exclusive vehicles.
He feels bad because he’s a good person. I feel badly when I decide not to buy things all the time
Old 01-03-22, 03:43 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I never had a bad experience with a dealer/salesman. It helps to be a reasonable person and not be an annoying jerk who thinks they are entitled to get a car at a price where the dealer makes no profit.
That has nothing to do with having a bad experience. You can be the most reasonable person in the world and have a dealer start with the shenanigans and the let me talk to my finance manager games. That's what tends to set people off, running back and forth lying about "Ok the best I can do is". Then go back 4 more times with lower prices. Just give a reasonable price up front and stop the BS. Then the trying to rip me off by selling all these paint protectors and other non sense. I don't even deal with dealerships in person anymore because of this. I do all my deals online with the fleet manager or through a broker.
Old 01-03-22, 04:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Doing the deal online is the way to go.
Old 01-03-22, 04:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

that why never go to the dealer to deal, start with email only. Otherwise youre just setting yourself up for disappointment
Old 01-03-22, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
that why never go to the dealer to deal, start with email only. Otherwise youre just setting yourself up for disappointment

Nope.....that is incorrect, for reasons which I explained above, which I'm not going to repeat here because of the lengthy explanation. (post #32)
Old 01-03-22, 04:44 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
In those circumstances you order the car which is what 90% of BRZ/86 buyers do anyway.

This speaks to the complete disconnect of whats good for the company is not good for salesperson.

Subaru created a great handling affordable sports car but people can’t even experience it so how do you grow sales? imagine how many Tesla sales would be lost if ppl couldn’t experience the cars.

I agree same thing happened with Supra, C8 Corvette etc.
Again its a detriment to the manufacturer who created a great product.
I agree with you it could help sell a car if a dealer lets more and more people test drive a car but that would be for an appliance car. The car you are looking at are not appliances and are somewhat niche cars so the demand is already there (for now) and they don’t need new buyers for those types of cars, there are likely more buyers than cars. If you give it time and demand slows there may be a time where there are more cars than buyers and you will get to test drive them. It’s likely just timing.
Old 01-03-22, 05:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nope.....that is incorrect, for reasons which I explained above, which I'm not going to repeat here because of the lengthy explanation. (post #32)
It is correct. You will wind up with a better deal with a lot less headache if you just negotiate over email.

Quick Reply: How Car Salesmen See Car Buyers