Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Car Salesmen See Car Buyers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-22, 06:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
For GTRs, they typically have around 30 miles on them because they are driven by Nissan on a test track prior to shipping.

I am a little.
I can definitely see that for the GTR. I am sure many BMWs are track test too. I watched the 4R/GX assembly video from Toyota on YT. Apparently every single GX460 is track test for quality and 1/4 4Rs are checked. Mine was not.

Ford also randomly selects some of their cars to test drive and they leave a signed note in the car that states it was quality checked
Old 01-04-22, 07:01 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I can definitely see that for the GTR. I am sure many BMWs are track test too. I watched the 4R/GX assembly video from Toyota on YT. Apparently every single GX460 is track test for quality and 1/4 4Rs are checked. Mine was not.

Ford also randomly selects some of their cars to test drive and they leave a signed note in the car that states it was quality checked
My brand new 2012 GX460 that I ordered had 14 miles so that makes sense and my 2016 IS350 had 12 miles.
Old 01-04-22, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I remember, a few years ago, Ford and Lincoln not only signed people up at the D.C. Auto Show for the usual dealer-test-drives for $50 / $75 debit-cards, (which they do every year), but, that year, at the show, in addition to that, gave out $10 debit-cards right at the show for taking a quick test-drive around the show's city-circuit. You had your choice of four or five new Ford vehicles on the circuit....I chose the then-new Ecosport, just to see what a new vehicle that small and cheap would be like for those who didn't have much money to spend. Let's just say you get what you pay for.

As for the $10 card...........at least it paid for my subway ride back home and charge for garage-parking LOL
Old 01-04-22, 07:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I remember, a few years ago, Ford and Lincoln not only signed people up at the D.C. Auto Show for the usual dealer-test-drives for $50 / $75 debit-cards, (which they do every year), but, that year, at the show, in addition to that, gave out $10 debit-cards right at the show for taking a quick test-drive, at the show, around the show's city-circuit. You had your choice of four or five new Ford vehicles on the circuit....I chose the then-new Ecosport, just to see what a new vehicle that small and cheap would be like for those who didn't have much money to spend. Let's just say you get what you pay for.

As for the $10 card...........at least it paid for my subway ride back home and charge for garage-parking LOL
I remember you mentioning that it in many of your auto show reviews. I was more referring to the note they leave for the random test drive at the actual assembly factory
Old 01-04-22, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I was more referring to the note they leave for the random test drive at the actual assembly factory

I agree......random test-drives/inspections are a good idea. I wish they had done more of that at the plants when I was wasting my money on junk in the late 70s and early 1980s. Way too many vehicles being produced with out-of-round /out-of-balance tires/wheels (shimmies), defective seals (leaks), bad alignment, squeaks/rattles, doors that didn't shut properly, and numerous other maladies.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-04-22 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-04-22, 07:24 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 204 Posts

Because some things are just really special to some people...

SW loves his big flagship cars.
MM loved his Buick’s.
AT loves his LX570
Bitty loves his LC500, his G90, his Santa Fe, his GS
Motorola has a burning love for his Hyundai’s
EZZ loves his Tesla
…I am sure there are more which I haven’t listed so I’m sorry to those

so I didn’t need a new 4R. I wanted one, . I also wanted it to match my 04 4R V8 which I still drive. 4R to me are really cool vehicles and they are special. they are body on frame, they use old tech, a giant 4.0 v6 with premium interior materials. Most of the door materials are lifted from the Lexus GX with 4R material on top. My 4R has classic optitron gauges. Those little spacers between each auto window switch, it has always on 4 wheel drive with a torsen diff, the wheel wells are finished nicely with exact colour matched plastic wheel arcs, there are engine covers and sound diffusers. has a hydraulic linked suspension…a matching 5th wheel spare tire..a slightly oversized sunroof…it has puddle lamps..and the little details..a gated shifter... Finally it was made in Japan

So because I didn’t need one, it was my request it must be blue…no exceptions….I wanted it right off the truck…my build date was Aug 2020…I paid cash for it. And I don’t buy a new car all that often. . It’s mine TBH I thought that the 21 was the last for the model year (bad case of FOMO at the time) and I am not really the biggest fan of TNGA stuff coming from Toyota compared to their legacy models. The new 22 added blind spot detection which I missed out on but it is an extra cost option.

Here is my link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...1-4runner.html

^^^. This is special to me Therefore, I want it to be with as few km as possible and right off the delivery truck. Do you see what I mean?

I remember a while back I was in Washington DC…I wanted to test drive a new Land Cruiser…I was at Toyota and they had 5 or 6 in site. I asked about the black with beige interior model they had…dealer told me that I would be permitted to test drive any colour combo on the lot except the black with beige interior…I asked why and they said that colour is a very special colour combo, very hard to get and they are reserving it as they want the buyer to have that model with as little miles on it as possible. I can respect..,that to me is a dealer thinking of their customer as someone special.
I believe that shows 92k, just slightly above 2k

Old 01-04-22, 07:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dwoods801
I believe that shows 92k, just slightly above 2k
It does indeed. That is a few days after. See how my fuel gauge is down a bit? Next time I buy a new 4R in like 17 years….I will be sure to get a pic just for you

But in all honestly, if you don’t find the passion in having a brand new not test driven new car, that is cool for you

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-04-22 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-04-22, 08:09 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

MM loved his Buick’s.
AT loves his LX570
Bitty loves his LC500, his G90, his Santa Fe, his GS
Motorola has a burning love for his Hyundai’s
EZZ loves his Tesla
…I am sure there are more which I haven’t listed so I’m sorry to those

so I didn’t need a new 4R. I wanted one, . I also wanted it to match my 04 4R V8 which I still drive. 4R to me are really cool vehicles and they are special. they are body on frame, they use old tech, a giant 4.0 v6 with premium interior materials. Most of the door materials are lifted from the Lexus GX with 4R material on top. My 4R has classic optitron gauges. Those little spacers between each auto window switch, it has always on 4 wheel drive with a torsen diff, the wheel wells are finished nicely with exact colour matched plastic wheel arcs, there are engine covers and sound diffusers. has a hydraulic linked suspension…a matching 5th wheel spare tire..a slightly oversized sunroof…it has puddle lamps..and the little details..a gated shifter... Finally it was made in Japan

So because I didn’t need one, it was my request it must be blue…no exceptions….I wanted it right off the truck…my build date was Aug 2020…I paid cash for it. And I don’t buy a new car all that often. . It’s mine TBH I thought that the 21 was the last for the model year (bad case of FOMO at the time) and I am not really the biggest fan of TNGA stuff coming from Toyota compared to their legacy models. The new 22 added blind spot detection which I missed out on but it is an extra cost option.

Here is my link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...1-4runner.html

^^^. This is special to me Therefore, I want it to be with as few km as possible and right off the delivery truck. Do you see what I mean?

I remember a while back I was in Washington DC…I wanted to test drive a new Land Cruiser…I was at Toyota and they had 5 or 6 in site. I asked about the black with beige interior model they had…dealer told me that I would be permitted to test drive any colour combo on the lot except the black with beige interior…I asked why and they said that colour is a very special colour combo, very hard to get and they are reserving it as they want the buyer to have that model with as little miles on it as possible. I can respect..,that to me is a dealer thinking of their customer as someone special.
I am sorry for continuing to poke at u, but I am going to let u in on a little secret. None of these cars are actually special to anyone at the dealership. Not even a new LFA, or BRZ, or a blue and silver Corvette, none of em. They can order all their Landcruisers in Black and Tan interior and it doesn’t change the sales reps feelings for it in anyway. They are all just metal. It’s pretty much the same deal with whatever job you have. Even **** stars probably get tired of going to work. I am not sure why they didn’t want u to test drive that one, but next time they try and tell you that something is special, ask them why? Cause Black and Tan doesn’t sound like a good combo to me. Black and tan is the 90’s, black on black is today.
Old 01-04-22, 08:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I am sorry for continuing to poke at u, but I am going to let u in on a little secret.
It’s ok. It was a fun discussion.
Old 01-04-22, 08:16 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

It’s ok. I was a fun discussion.
I am glad you realize I am not trying to be serious, just had to try and bring a little lighted hearted humor to this thread, it seems like everyone has been barking back and forth all day
Old 01-04-22, 08:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I am glad you realize I am not trying to be serious, just had to try and bring a little lighted hearted humor to this thread, it seems like everyone has been barking back and forth all day
No worries. You are totally cool 😎
Old 01-04-22, 08:19 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

No worries. You are totally cool 😎
i would give you a like but for some reason it seems my button has been confiscated?👍
Old 01-04-22, 09:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

i would give you a like but for some reason it seems my button has been confiscated?👍
It's gone, for all of us.

CT- Love the 4R pics. Is that a Limited? Does it have the really cool sequential turn signals in front? Noticed that a few weeks back on one, strikingly cool. I only have seen it once and it was on a loaded out one like yours.
Old 01-05-22, 07:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I like flagship cars, but purchasing a vehicle isn't "special" for me anymore because I do it so often. I don't care about having exactly what I want, or it being delivered a special way or anything like that.