Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus badge change

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-22, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

A non-issue, IMO. I don't think it will significantly affect sales either way. People usually don't buy or lease Lexus products based on what kind of logo or lettering is on the trunk. The Lexus logo itself doesn't have the instant-recognition of the blue Ford Oval, Chevy bow-tie, Buick tri-color shield, Mercedes tri-star, BMW blue/white propeller, or the Audi four-ring.
Old 01-03-22, 06:11 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘IMO.

They don’t see the Lexus brand like we all do….Lexus has nowhere near the brand cache as a MB or Audi or BMW. That said, if Lexus truly wants to be a player in the battery electric segments, they need to modify their branding to what the start ups Tesla, Rivian and Lucid are doing. Battery electrics are gonna be more expensive to buy than current Lexus models as well…,Lexus has also peaked in North America for a really long time now..so a change is needed. The Toyota brand doesn’t have this issue as it’s a top 10 most recognizable brand, unlike Lexus.

Definitely ​​​​​​ a factor
I didn’t realize that Lucid and Rivian had similar styled logos on the rear as well.
Old 01-03-22, 07:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A non-issue, IMO. I don't think it will significantly affect sales either way. People usually don't buy or lease Lexus products based on what kind of logo or lettering is on the trunk. The Lexus logo itself doesn't have the instant-recognition of the blue Ford Oval, Chevy bow-tie, Buick tri-color shield, Mercedes tri-star, BMW blue/white propeller, or the Audi four-ring.
Yes it does. You can strip all the letters off a Lexus and the main emblem is all that's needed.

It's not like a genesis that needed it to spelled out at first or the weird GM ford "luxury" brands...

The "L" has been the same for 30 years and people know what it means. Slow, exceptionally well made and reliable, and very comfortable.
Old 01-03-22, 07:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I don’t care for it to be honest but it’s unlikely that I would ever buy a brand new Lexus besides the LC. Don’t the new Genesis have their logo on the back like this?
Genesis is a coMpany struggling for an identity, same with all the other startups pictures have been posted of. That’s part of the point. Lexus doesn’t need to copy companies with no heritage that are clamoring for eyeballs.
Old 01-03-22, 08:00 PM
Buttercup1
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That new logo on the back of the NX makes it look like a Nissan Rogue. Doesn’t anyone do market testing anymore??
Old 01-03-22, 08:11 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Do you see BMW or Mercedes getting rid of the Roundel or the Three Pointed Star? No because their logo is recognized by almost everyone and they don’t need to. I just feel Lexus doesn’t need to either.
BMW and Mercedes nowadays plaster more M and AMG logos over their cars than their traditional logos.
Old 01-03-22, 08:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘IMO.

They don’t see the Lexus brand like we all do….Lexus has nowhere near the brand cache as a MB or Audi or BMW. That said, if Lexus truly wants to be a player in the battery electric segments, they need to modify their branding to what the start ups Tesla, Rivian and Lucid are doing. Battery electrics are gonna be more expensive to buy than current Lexus models as well…,Lexus has also peaked in North America for a really long time now..so a change is needed. The Toyota brand doesn’t have this issue as it’s a top 10 most recognizable brand, unlike Lexus.

Definitely ​​​​​​ a factor

bravo. outstanding post. lexus vehicles used to have both LEXUS and the L logo on the back. the 'big german 3' just use logos and the EV upstarts like you say use letters because they're trying to imprint a name and vehicles in people's minds. i think lexus knows its line-up is stale and they need a reboot. it's not like the L logo is going away, it's on the front of the new LX600 for example.

doing what rivian, tesla, and lucid are doing to re-introduce the brand seems like a bold, good move to me. lexus is thought of by most as a boring old brand. they need to shake it up somehow with new (i.e., young) consumers who have no memory of when lexus launched or maybe even what the L logo is about.
Old 01-03-22, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yes it does. You can strip all the letters off a Lexus and the main emblem is all that's needed.

It's not like a genesis that needed it to spelled out at first or the weird GM ford "luxury" brands...

The "L" has been the same for 30 years and people know what it means. Slow, exceptionally well made and reliable, and very comfortable.
Not every Lexus product is (or was) comfortable. The 1Gen IS-F (I test-drove one) had a suspension on it that rode like the shocks were welded on solid. It was so bad that Lexus was forced to ease up on it after customer-complaints. Even some auto-magazines complained it was too stiff.

And, believe me, that car was anything BUT slow, particularly when the tach approached 4000.
Old 01-03-22, 08:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not every Lexus product is (or was) comfortable. The 1Gen IS-F (I test-drove one) had a suspension on it that rode like the shocks were welded on solid. It was so bad that Lexus was forced to ease up on it after customer-complaints. Even some auto-magazines complained it was too stiff.

And, believe me, that car was anything BUT slow, particularly when the tach approached 4000.
Same era cars are far faster and have aged way better in terms of speed. The Lexus cars are always the slowest of there generation with the least support and that's okay. They make a fantastic car for what they are.
Old 01-03-22, 10:25 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

pointless and possibly stupid move in my book

toyota achieved the recognition and status they were hoping for, only to now seemingly try to undo that... although from the cars and other decisions they make it's clear they're no longer trying to be associated with all that made lexus great
Old 01-03-22, 10:29 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Same era cars are far faster and have aged way better in terms of speed. The Lexus cars are always the slowest of there generation with the least support and that's okay. They make a fantastic car for what they are.
idk if you're speaking specifically in terms of sports cars, but in the brochure for my 1999 LS they make it a big deal to point out how the LS 400 is faster than its direct competition from mercedes, jaguar, and bmw... that was back when they cared though and my main man Eiji was still running things, akio is just a clown
Old 01-04-22, 08:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

They must have seen something in the research to tell them to do this. Let's see how this works out.

In my family we have removed badges on the back since the early 1990s. On my last CT, I took off the CT200h, but am going to leave it on my new one. Interesting that in the US we have the CT200h badge, but not Lexus on the back on the other side, but the rest of the world does have it this way.
Old 01-04-22, 08:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Interesting that in the US we have the CT200h badge, but not Lexus on the back on the other side, but the rest of the world does have it this way.
Lexus made this change in 2011 citing that in the US their L logo had achieved enough recognition that the Lexus badge was redundant.
Old 01-04-22, 09:05 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I hope this in not going on LC500.

Completely pointless change that 99% of ppl will never notice.
I wish they would spend more time on improving the design especially the grill.
Old 01-04-22, 09:09 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I hope this in not going on LC500.

Completely pointless change that 99% of ppl will never notice.
I wish they would spend more time on improving the design especially the grill.
Or their lackluster power trains.

Quick Reply: Lexus badge change