Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus Making the Right Choice by Going All-Electric?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-22, 05:29 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Is Lexus Making the Right Choice by Going All-Electric?

Is Lexus Making the Right Choice by Going All-Electric?
By Brett Foote

Parent company Toyota recently revealed that Lexus will go all-electric by 2030.

Old 01-06-22, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

IMO, with the possible exception of classic all-BEV companies like Tesla, Rivian, Fisker, and Lucid, NOBODY is making the right choice going all-electric. Right now, the government is driving the change (no pun intended), but, IMO, that will change in the future as millions of people across the country rebel at the polls.
Old 01-06-22, 06:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

For me, I will wait to see what they release. What the specs are. The cost etc etc before I know if they made the right choice.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-06-22 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-06-22, 07:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, with the possible exception of classic all-BEV companies like Tesla, Rivian, Fisker, and Lucid, NOBODY is making the right choice going all-electric. Right now, the government is driving the change (no pun intended), but, IMO, that will change in the future as millions of people across the country rebel at the polls.
I've read this several times not sure I can make sense of it. If a fully EV company like Tesla is seeing massive growth why would legacy auto makers not want to enter said rapidly expanding market segment?
Old 01-06-22, 07:58 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Polls will change nothing as the movement to EV's is global, and the U.S. is becoming more and more irrelevant as China and Europe become the centers of vehicle sales.
Old 01-06-22, 09:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I've read this several times not sure I can make sense of it. If a fully EV company like Tesla is seeing massive growth why would legacy auto makers not want to enter said rapidly expanding market segment?
The issue here is that the ICE market, despite's Tesla's success, is not going to go away unless the government forces it to do so, which, IMO, the public will not allow. To discuss the details further would probably get us too deeply into politics, so I'll leave to at that.
Old 01-06-22, 09:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

The issue here is that the ICE market, despite's Tesla's success, is not going to go away unless the government forces it to do so, which, IMO, the public will not allow. To discuss the details further would probably get us too deeply into politics, so I'll leave to at that.
I get the feeling nothing will convince you that people want EVs simply because they want EVs not because government policy is forcing people to buy them. Tesla sales grew 87% in 2021 without any government incentives Toyota can no longer ignore this.

Old 01-06-22, 09:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I get the feeling nothing will convince you that people want EVs simply because they want EVs not because government policy is forcing people to buy them. Tesla sales grew 87% in 2021 without any government incentives Toyota can no longer ignore this.

I never said that people didn't want EVs......many obviously do, independent of government action or inaction. But many more people don't want EVs, simply because they live in conditions where it is difficult or unfeasible to have (or get) recharging outlets. For them, a hybrid or Extended-Range hybrid would make far more sense. I would consider a hybrid myself, particularly if GM makes the system optional for the Encore GX.
Old 01-06-22, 10:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I never said that people didn't want EVs......many obviously do, independent of government action or inaction. But many more people don't want EVs, simply because they live in conditions where it is difficult or unfeasible to have (or get) recharging outlets. For them, a hybrid or Extended-Range hybrid would make far more sense. I would consider a hybrid myself, particularly if GM makes the system optional for the Encore GX.
If we freeze time so the market forever stays exactly as is it today then yes what you are saying is true.
Old 01-07-22, 06:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I also find the statement "classic EV companies like..." hilarious. None of those companies existed 5 years ago, except for Tesla and Fisker.

Carmakers know what they are doing...especially Toyota and Lexus.
Old 01-07-22, 07:02 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

It's fascinating watching innovator's dilemma being played out right before our eyes. No matter the outcome, it will be a classic business case for future generations.
Old 01-07-22, 08:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It really is, thats true
Old 01-07-22, 08:29 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

They have no choice in the matter.
I doubt any legacy automakers want to switch fully to EVs.

Its almost like starting from scratch.
Old 01-07-22, 09:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Every other car on the road seems to still have halogen headlights, yet they are talking about switching to full electric, lol.
Old 01-07-22, 09:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Every other car on the road seems to still have halogen headlights
But not every car being sold new

Quick Reply: Is Lexus Making the Right Choice by Going All-Electric?