Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports 10 Least Satisfying Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-22, 04:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My bad about the Q50, its actually a decent car, albeit very dated. My original post meant to be about the Qx50, the awful little CUV.
Old 01-13-22, 05:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Have you driven it? It is a miserable POS, with early 2000s low resolution double screen infotainment system, lethargic drivetrain, and awful materials.
I have, I don't think its that bad.
Old 01-13-22, 05:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
No offense, but over the years it has continued to surprise me at your willingness to put your trust in the backup systems on airplanes, but not in the backup system on the steering of a Q50.
It is amazing lol
Old 01-13-22, 05:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I feel like most hybrids feel like that. Just a terrible driving experience all around.
it is not the hybrid. Rest of the world gets hybrid option.

Funny part is that it is one of the most satisfying Toyota models in Europe.

Old 01-13-22, 05:45 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is not the hybrid. Rest of the world gets hybrid option.

Funny part is that it is one of the most satisfying Toyota models in Europe.

Ha. Such a difference of opinion. US has very different tastes.
Old 01-13-22, 06:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I feel like most hybrids feel like that. Just a terrible driving experience all around.
Not a hybrid, but a lethargic 2.0L NA paired with a CVT. If it had any less power I wouldn't even classify it as an automobile. Not a fan of turbos, but if anything needs one, this screams GIVE ME ONE!

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-13-22 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-13-22, 06:31 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I cannot believe the Chevy Malibu didn’t make this list. It’s easily one of the worst cars you can buy today.
Old 01-13-22, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
I cannot believe the Chevy Malibu didn’t make this list. It’s easily one of the worst cars you can buy today.

Strongly disagree. I had a Malibu-loaner, for several days, a couple of years ago when my Lacrosse was in the shop for a warranty-repair, and I found it, even with the Mickey-Mouse-size 1.5L turbo engine, to be quite a nice mid-sized sedan, and relatively pleasant to drive. In fact, IMO, its 6-speed tranny shifted better, and with fewer quirks, than the 9-speed in my Lacrosse.
Old 01-13-22, 07:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Strongly disagree. I had a Malibu-loaner, for several days, a couple of years ago when my Lacrosse was in the shop for a warranty-repair, and I found it, even with the Mickey-Mouse-size 1.5L turbo engine, to be quite a nice mid-sized sedan, and relatively pleasant to drive. In fact, IMO, its 6-speed tranny shifted better, and with fewer quirks, than the 9-speed in my Lacrosse.
It's actually a 1.4L, and yes it surprisingly drives pretty good for such a small engine. It's tuned pretty well. I had a loaner for a couple of weeks while my car was in the body shop. Would never buy one though
Old 01-13-22, 08:35 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I rent a lot of cars…all types from big luxury suvs to subcompact economy cars.

I’ve gotten stuck with Malibus a few times now and the only thing I’ve ever rented that was worse was an Aveo about 10 years ago.

I’m sorry but the Malibu is absolute garbage, even a Kia Soul is better.
Old 01-13-22, 08:45 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
I rent a lot of cars…all types from big luxury suvs to subcompact economy cars.

I’ve gotten stuck with Malibus a few times now and the only thing I’ve ever rented that was worse was an Aveo about 10 years ago.

I’m sorry but the Malibu is absolute garbage, even a Kia Soul is better.
I rent a ton of cars and the Jetta was the worst of the small cars for me. That car lived at redline for the 2 days I rented it. Garbage.
Old 01-13-22, 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It's actually a 1.4L, and yes it surprisingly drives pretty good for such a small engine. It's tuned pretty well. I had a loaner for a couple of weeks while my car was in the body shop. Would never buy one though
The American-spec version I had was a 1.5L turbo.

It is more than just the engine that is nice-driving with recent Malibus, although I agree the present interior isn't quite what the excellent 7Gen version was (which I'll post below).

BTW, Steve (SW17LS).......^^^^^^ this is the interior that, if I remember correctly, you once laughed at. I certainly didn't.
Old 01-13-22, 09:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The American-spec version I had was a 1.5L turbo.

It is more than just the engine that is nice-driving with recent Malibus, although I agree the present interior isn't quite what the excellent 7Gen version was (which I'll post below).

BTW, Steve (SW17LS).......^^^^^^ this is the interior that, if I remember correctly, you once laughed at. I certainly didn't.
Sorry, I mistook it for a Chevy Cruze, which has the 1.4Lt
Old 01-13-22, 09:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I rent a ton of cars and the Jetta was the worst of the small cars for me. That car lived at redline for the 2 days I rented it. Garbage.
The worst piece of garbage I ever rented was a Nissan Versa. Try merging on a fast moving Texas access road (what moron designed the roads there??) with that car. 2nd was an Altima. After I was promoted to Director level, I had more leeway on what I could rent when visiting our San Antonio office. From then on it's been Chargers, Mustangs and the occasional Camry (V6 if they had one)
Old 01-13-22, 10:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The worst piece of garbage I ever rented was a Nissan Versa. Try merging on a fast moving Texas access road (what moron designed the roads there??) with that car. 2nd was an Altima. After I was promoted to Director level, I had more leeway on what I could rent when visiting our San Antonio office. From then on it's been Chargers, Mustangs and the occasional Camry (V6 if they had one)
Camrys are actually pretty nice. My choice of rental is now the Pacifica. Love that van. I think the Chargers are pretty cool too. Not a fan of the Malibu or Impala. They are okay but boring.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports 10 Least Satisfying Cars