Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports 10 Least Satisfying Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 10:31 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
My IS350 still feels fast, is fast, and still fun to drive. I can still take on most modern turbocharged 4 cylinders, like the WRX, STi, Veloster N, Type R etc. Turbocharged V6 and V8's is where it falls a bit behind. Of course my PoleStar will obliterate it
You get used to speed pretty quickly. Drive your Polestar for another 3 months and go back to your IS350 and re-assess. There are plenty of threads on the Tesla forums of people saying they feel that their car has gotten slower and is worried about the battery. They get a draggy and test to confirm and it still yields 0-60 in 3.1s and they are surprised. Its human nature...once you get used to your Polestar, the IS350 is almost a full second slower and will feel slower.

I used to rent Mustangs and Camaros for fun but once I got the Tesla, nothing feels fast anymore so I go for straight utility. The minivan is my go to for rentals for sure now . Also, that Q50 has a decent powertrain but the rest of the car isn't great. I had one for 1 week as a rental and it was fully loaded. That infotainment is painful to use and it drank gas like a full size pickup. Weird considering that the G37 and G35 were great cars during their tenure.
Old 01-14-22, 11:00 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
You get used to speed pretty quickly. Drive your Polestar for another 3 months and go back to your IS350 and re-assess. There are plenty of threads on the Tesla forums of people saying they feel that their car has gotten slower and is worried about the battery. They get a draggy and test to confirm and it still yields 0-60 in 3.1s and they are surprised. Its human nature...once you get used to your Polestar, the IS350 is almost a full second slower and will feel slower.

I used to rent Mustangs and Camaros for fun but once I got the Tesla, nothing feels fast anymore so I go for straight utility. The minivan is my go to for rentals for sure now . Also, that Q50 has a decent powertrain but the rest of the car isn't great. I had one for 1 week as a rental and it was fully loaded. That infotainment is painful to use and it drank gas like a full size pickup. Weird considering that the G37 and G35 were great cars during their tenure.
Actually, the PoleStar "feels" slower, although it's not (unless you put it in Sport Mode or push halfway down on the pedal). The reason is the pedal is stiffer so you have to push down harder, and the power comes on very smooth. I know it's faster because I see how fast it comes up to speed, and how far I leave behind all the other cars. On the other hand, when I switch out cars, the IS feels faster because the pedal is a lot softer and I end up pushing too hard, but in actuality its not faster.

I think what happens with driving EV over time, you just get used to the power, its so smooth, so it doesn't seem as fast as it did the first few times you drove. I do get that with my IS where it feels after driving a few months it seems like the power has gone down, but in reality it hasn't. As far as the G35 and G37, I think they are great cars, (I see a lot of them on the road, especially younger drivers) but they are just too heavy. The G37 has more power than my IS350, but I've beaten one easily from a dig. Probably quarter mile runs they would beat me once they get momentum
Old 01-14-22, 12:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Worst rental car I have had in the last say, 5 years was a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross. I actually took it back.

I don't know if you have driven a Ford EcoSport (I have, twice...a three-cylinder and four-cylinder version), and I don't think there's recently been anything worse or more unrefined in the American market this side of a Smart-for-Two.

I admit, though, I haven't test-driven an Eclipse-Cross yet. There's a dealership in Manassas (Auto Giant) that has a new Mitsubishi franchise....one of the very few left. I'll have to buzz down one of these days and check out an Eclipse Cross. I suspect that the base-level Mitsubishi Mirage, which sells for around 14-15K new, isn't anything to write home about either.
Old 01-14-22, 12:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I haven't, thankfully lol
Old 01-14-22, 12:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't, thankfully lol

......and, trust me, you don't even want to hear about the Smart-for-Two. I did a write-up on a gas-powered version, after a test-drive, a number of years ago, and I don't even like to think about it LOL.
Old 01-14-22, 01:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh that I have driven!
Old 01-14-22, 01:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Oh that I have driven!
Did you experience the Tip-O-Matic center of gravity and the bucking/rocking-horse motions when that tiny little auto-manual transmission did its thing with the shifts?
Old 01-14-22, 01:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you experience the Tip-O-Matic center of gravity and the bucking/rocking-horse motions when that tiny little auto-manual transmission did its thing with the shifts?
Oh yes, just awful
Old 01-14-22, 01:54 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I know this is not the right thread to discuss this, but I would think the Kona EV would drive very good on the highway. We have a 2020 Ioniq EV, it only has 138 HP but drives smooth as any V8 I've driven at 80 mph. The Kona has a lot more power than the Ioniq. And my PoleStar 2...that drives amazing on the hwy
Oh, not an EV problem. It's much smoother and faster than the Malibu and Maxima. It's a tall, narrow hatchback with skinny tires. It gets blown all over the place by crosswind and semis, to the point that it's kind of a chore driving it fast on the highway.
Old 01-14-22, 06:28 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
Agree, had a Malibu as a rental recently and thought it was pretty terrible, but maybe part of it is what you're acclimated to driving normally. Later had a Maxima and thought it was more similar to the Malibu than I'd have liked. Actually got the chance to swap it for a Kona EV, which has at least drives much better unless you're on the highway.
Hands down my favorite “normal” rental cars are the Edge and CX-5.

Had a Q50 once and it was fine, gas mileage was pretty bad.

I also found the previous gen altimas and elantras (2015ish model year) shockingly acceptable.

My favorite cost-is-no-object rentals are the Armada and QX80, super fun driving around in a monster truck for a few days
Old 01-14-22, 06:32 PM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm a bit surprised about the Q50. Always seemed like a pretty nice car...
Old 01-15-22, 09:20 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 434 Posts

All these vehicles, but the Q50 are for ppl that demand a new vehicle vs a slightly used, better choice vehicles......
Old 01-16-22, 06:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I know a few people with some of these, make that no longer with these, that would 100% agree
Old 01-16-22, 08:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

as usual, CR's 'analysis' is stupid:

The owner satisfaction score—based on whether owners say they would definitely buy the same car again if given the choice—measures whether a car has lived up to expectations.

no it doesn't. people have any number of reasons why they definitely wouldn't buy the same car again, lke, i dunno...

- had a kid / got a pet (need more room)
- kids went off to college (need less room)
- mid-life crisis (time to dump the boring car even though it was fine)

- just because i want something different this time
Old 01-16-22, 09:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as usual, CR's 'analysis' is stupid:

no it doesn't. people have any number of reasons why they definitely wouldn't buy the same car again, lke, i dunno...

- had a kid / got a pet (need more room)
- kids went off to college (need less room)
- mid-life crisis (time to dump the boring car even though it was fine)
- just because i want something different this time

Most of the reasons you listed are not really the things that CR measures in its repeat-buyership questionaires....nor what it bases its ratings on. In the CR repeat-buyer data-base, most of the reasons why people would not choose to repeat-buy something are because they are dissatisfied because of things like poor reliability, uncomfortable ride/seating, hard-to-use controls, etc..... not simply because their needs change.

And, IMO, this also tells me that more people need to do more careful inspections/sampling/test-drives of vehicles before they sign on the dotted line for them. Simply saying ......"Oh, Man, I dig those looks", or "I only care about 0-60 or quarter-mile times", or "I gotta keep up with the Jones".....that doesn't cut it, as too many cases of Buyers' Remorse shows.

Nevertheless, among Saturn's MANY good and customer friendly features, that's one more that I liked....with a clear title and no vehicle damage, one could bring back ANY new Saturn, for ANY reason (even if the buyer decided he or she didn't like the color) in the first 30 days after sale for a full refund.

And Saturn was serious about that offer. My SL2 sedan was fine, with minimal problems, but, later, I had a yellow special-order SC2 coupe that, IMO, was a lemon, with a cruise-speed shimmy (that, IMO, was probably related to its body-structure and asymmetrical third-door on one side). For several weeks, both me and the dealer's Shop Foreman worked on the car together in the shop....we tried everything.....new wheels, new tires, alignment, precision balance....every trick that he and I could both think of. Finally, I said screw it, I turned it back after three weeks. Saturn wrote me a check for the car's entire price, plus the Maryland Sales Tax and the cost of a factory car-cover, which I had bought......legally, they didn't have to refund the tax or the cover (only the car itself)....but they did. I found out later a young girl bought it...she either wasn't as picky about a shimmy as I was, or they eventually found what it was in the shop and fixed it.

And you guys wonder why I liked that company.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports 10 Least Satisfying Cars