Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports 10 Least Satisfying Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-22, 10:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,766 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most of the reasons you listed are not really the things that CR measures in its repeat-buyership questionaires....nor what it bases its ratings on. In the CR repeat-buyer data-base, most of the reasons why people would not choose to repeat-buy something are because they are dissatisfied because of things like poor reliability, uncomfortable ride/seating, hard-to-use controls, etc..... not simply because their needs change.

And, IMO, this also tells me that more people need to do more careful inspections/sampling/test-drives of vehicles before they sign on the dotted line for them. Simply saying ......"Oh, Man, I dig those looks", or "I only care about 0-60 or quarter-mile times", or "I gotta keep up with the Jones".....that doesn't cut it, as too many cases of Buyers' Remorse shows.

Nevertheless, among Saturn's MANY good and customer friendly features, that's one more that I liked....with a clear title and no vehicle damage, one could bring back ANY new Saturn, for ANY reason (even if the buyer decided he or she didn't like the color) in the first 30 days after sale for a full refund.

And Saturn was serious about that offer. My SL2 sedan was fine, with minimal problems, but, later, I had a yellow special-order SC2 coupe that, IMO, was a lemon, with a cruise-speed shimmy (that, IMO, was probably related to its body-structure and asymmetrical third-door on one side). For several weeks, both me and the dealer's Shop Foreman worked on the car together in the shop....we tried everything.....new wheels, new tires, alignment, precision balance....every trick that he and I could both think of. Finally, I said screw it, I turned it back after three weeks. Saturn wrote me a check for the car's entire price, plus the Maryland Sales Tax and the cost of a factory car-cover, which I had bought......legally, they didn't have to refund the tax or the cover (only the car itself)....but they did. I found out later a young girl bought it...she either wasn't as picky about a shimmy as I was, or they eventually found what it was in the shop and fixed it.

And you guys wonder why I liked that company.
Saturn was never profitable, and maybe that return policy was one of the reasons. But the main reason was it was created as a fighter brand meant to take on low prices Japanese competitors, it's initial setup cost failed to ever get out of the red
Old 01-17-22, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Saturn was never profitable, and maybe that return policy was one of the reasons. But the main reason was it was created as a fighter brand meant to take on low prices Japanese competitors, it's initial setup cost failed to ever get out of the red

It was one of the best success-stories in the Industry (1990-2000) until, after the first decade, GM stopped what Saturn did so well (small plastic-body vehicles), and essentially tried to turn it ito an Oldsmobile-successor with rebadges of Opels and other GM products. Just didn't work. IMO they only did one really excellent metal-bodied product after the shift away from the small S-series cars (the Aura)...and that was because the Aura's twin (the Chevy Malibu) itself was such an excellent product for that generation.
Old 01-17-22, 09:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

It was one of the best success-stories in the Industry (1990-2000) until, after the first decade, GM stopped what Saturn did so well (small plastic-body vehicles), and essentially tried to turn it ito an Oldsmobile-successor with rebadges of Opels and other GM products. Just didn't work. IMO they only did one really excellent metal-bodied product after the shift away from the small S-series cars (the Aura)...and that was because the Aura's twin (the Chevy Malibu) itself was such an excellent product for that generation.
It had a 15 year run and was never profitable. Hardly a success as they didn't change the industry nor did they survive nor did most people think they made exceptional cars. Sounds like a trifecta of fail.
Old 01-17-22, 09:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It had a 15 year run and was never profitable. Hardly a success as they didn't change the industry nor did they survive nor did most people think they made exceptional cars. Sounds like a trifecta of fail.
No objective success there, other than making a car Mike specifically liked and an ownership experience he liked. Problem was, that ownership experience was not a sound business model...and it was not sustainable.

What he misses is WHY GM made those changes to Saturn...because they had to.
Old 01-17-22, 09:31 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,766 Posts

As others pointed out, Saturn was a failure. It never made a profit, even when it was supposedly selling well. GM has never been forward thinking, it's executives thought it could beat it's Japanese rivals just by being GM. IMO the worst move the Federal government did was bailing them out of the hole they dug
Old 01-17-22, 09:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What he misses is WHY GM made those changes to Saturn...because they had to.
Well, what happened to Saturn after they did that proves that was not the right move. That's not simply me, or my opinion...that is history. To say that what they did was inevitable is a stretch of any imagination. GM execs made those decisions...not the market, Saturn retailers, or customers.

Getting back to the thread-topic, if the Saturn Ion were still around today, it would probably be on CL's 10-worst in customer satisfaction. The Ion was one of Saturn's deadly sins after they gave up the S-series.
Old 01-17-22, 01:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well, what happened to Saturn after they did that proves that was not the right move. That's not simply me, or my opinion...that is history. To say that what they did was inevitable is a stretch of any imagination. GM execs made those decisions...not the market, Saturn retailers, or customers.

Getting back to the thread-topic, if the Saturn Ion were still around today, it would probably be on CL's 10-worst in customer satisfaction. The Ion was one of Saturn's deadly sins after they gave up the S-series.
What you miss is Saturn was bleeding money before they made those changes...which is why they made those changes. All that matters is that a product makes money, and they were losing money on Saturn so however "great" it was, it could not continue.

Its a business.
Old 01-17-22, 01:34 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What you miss is Saturn was bleeding money before they made those changes...which is why they made those changes. All that matters is that a product makes money, and they were losing money on Saturn so however "great" it was, it could not continue.

Its a business.
Saturn was a great idea that probably would have merited a college senior an "A" on their marketing seminar project.
Old 01-17-22, 01:37 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 813 Likes on 567 Posts

Worst rental car I have had in the last say, 5 years was a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross. I actually took it back.
Completely agree. It literally sounds like it's coming apart as you're driving it.
Old 01-17-22, 01:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Well, what happened to Saturn after they did that proves that was not the right move. That's not simply me, or my opinion...that is history.
as the old joke goes though, you can't lose a dollar on every sale and make it up in volume. something has to give.

saturn was an interesting experiment, somewhat like scion, and both dismal failures.
Old 01-17-22, 02:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its like the Michael Scott Paper Company. "Michael, your low prices are putting you out of business" "But...my low prices are the only thing keeping me in business!"
Old 01-17-22, 04:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Its like the Michael Scott Paper Company. "Michael, your low prices are putting you out of business" "But...my low prices are the only thing keeping me in business!"
In the paper business, that's called getting reamed out.
Old 01-17-22, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as the old joke goes though, you can't lose a dollar on every sale and make it up in volume. something has to give.
Yes, that's true, but you often CAN succeed in volume even if you make only a small profit on each sale. That's the whole idea behind price-wars....you will get enough extra sales to make up for the lower in profit on each one.

saturn was an interesting experiment, somewhat like scion, and both dismal failures.
Saturn itself was not a failure. GM's mismanagement of it in the second decade was a failure. It simply ceased to be Saturn, and became Oldsmobile II.

Scion itself was not really a failure......in fact, in its first years, it attracted a lot of potential customers who wanted a new Toyota without having to deal with markups and the Toyota salespeople. Scions sold basically like Saturns........write up the paperwork, hand over the key to the new owner, and go. Where Scion went wrong is that they focused too much on young people (particularly in ads and a the auto shows) when it was not only them, but actually many middle-aged and older people who were buying a lot of their products as well. Auto companies mistakenly like to target the youth-image when it is those who have been been working for years who often have the most to spend.

Old 01-17-22, 04:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

saturn was an interesting experiment,
Totally agree. At the time GM was just massive, and Saturn worked for a little while, but it is defunct.

, somewhat like scion, and both dismal failures.
Scion was just a rebadged Toyota. Nothing special. Only similarity was that it had no haggle, but also a failure.
Old 01-17-22, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Totally agree. At the time GM was just massive, and Saturn worked for a little while, but it is defunct.
Saturn worked when GM management allowed it to work....for the first ten years. It would still probably be working today had senior management not screwed it up.

With all due respect, some of you are not putting the blame here where it belongs.

Scion was just a rebadged Toyota. Nothing special. Only similarity was that it had no haggle, but also a failure.
I think you used the wrong term, Jill. The no-haggle price was a difference with Toyota, not a similarity. But, yes, the Scion products, though mostly not actual rebadges, were very similar to Toyotas mechanically. The one exception was the FR-S sport coupe, which was almost identical to the Toyota 86 and Subaru BR-Z

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports 10 Least Satisfying Cars