Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Retro Write-Up: The Ten Most Influential Vehicles in Automotive History.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-22, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But like the Explorer, it kicked off the luxury crossover segment which has had a huge impact on the industry as a whole.

And the RX300 was never based on the Rav 4, it was always off of the Camry Platform. Much larger than the Rav 4 of the time.

Yes, Steve is correct on the RAV-4....Camry platform it is. Should have remembered that. Sorry, JDR76, I'll stand corrected on that one. (I've been writing about cars for so long that is sometimes gets difficult now to remember everything, and I sometimes make typos).
Old 01-13-22, 05:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, many of today's 21st-century hybrids and electrics can probably be traced, in one form or another, to the very significant Prius, which was introduced at the very start of the century. Steve may (?) have a point with the Tesla Model S, although the Model 3 is outselling it by an enormous margin. If you really pressed me to add one more to make it an MM dozen, I'd have to maybe go with the Chris-Bangle (E65-68) BMW 7-series, which was produced from 2001-2008. At the time, I absolutely despised them, for several reasons.....among them the Bangle-Butt trunk-lids, thinner sheet metal, and the I-Drive screen. But that dash-screen, like it or not (and Audi's similar MMI screen a little later) completely changed the way that future dash and controls were designed in most vehicles, and we still see the effects today.
Well, I owned one of those 7 series, so I know, lol. The first generation idrive was lousy, but it's understandable. It became much better with the 2nd generation, and yes, the **** has been copied by pretty much everyone, except Lexus with their awful touchpad/mouse, and Tesla with their cheap touch screen.
Old 01-13-22, 05:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Good list. Mini is highly over looked in automotive history the car became the inspiration for every FWD platform we have today. On the original RAV4 it was a mix between Camry and Corolla the engine and drivetrain first seen on the Camry and Celica All-Trac.
Old 01-13-22, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Good list. Mini is highly over looked in automotive history the car became the inspiration for every FWD platform we have today. On the original RAV4 it was a mix between Camry and Corolla the engine and drivetrain first seen on the Camry and Celica All-Trac.

Thanks.

The Mini did indeed influence most of the later FWD designs, although some of them, like GM's 1966 Toronado/Eldorado, and some Renault designs, still went with Longitudinal engines, or, like Subaru, with horizontal flat-engines. The Subaru flat-engines, BTW, with their output-shafts in the rear, are one reason why their AWD drive systems are so simple and effective, and easier to repair. They don't have to use added hardware to re-route the torque backwards, which, all else equal, means fewer parts, lower weight, simpler mechanics, and the "Symmetrical" left-to-right balance that Subaru likes to use in their ads, along with the low center of gravy of the flat-cylinder engines.
Old 01-13-22, 06:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

How is the Ford F series not on the list?

Lincoln Navigator was very influential
Old 01-13-22, 06:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Ford F series, as well as out pick ups, has very little place in world history, it is strictly an American thing. The minimum threshold for intellect in America is not buying a pick up.
Old 01-13-22, 06:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
The Ford F series, as well as out pick ups, has very little place in world history, it is strictly an American thing. The minimum threshold for intellect in America is not buying a pick up.
Give me a break. All the great innovation comes from America. . Best selling vehicle is the F series
Old 01-13-22, 06:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Give me a break. All the great innovation comes from America. . Best selling vehicle is the F series
It only sells in America, it is absolutely irrelevant elsewhere in the world.
Old 01-13-22, 06:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
‘America is what matters. Without US innovation, the world would be very backwards.

Porsche 911
Toyota Corolla

i agree with Chrysler Minivan. Same with Tesla S

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-13-22 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-13-22, 06:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Steve may (?) have a point with the Tesla Model S, although the Model 3 is outselling it by an enormous margin..
But if there were no Model S, there would be no Model 3. The Model S was the first mass produced EV that really cought on, and launched what is the modern EV.

Originally Posted by Och
Not sure why that matters. There are lots of vehicles that sell in other countries that are absolutely irrelevant here.
Old 01-13-22, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ford's pickup trucks go back to 1917, when the first one was done off the Model T's frame. The F-series has sold very well over the years, but, aside from maybe the Twin-I-Beam independent front suspension introduced in 1964, and the conversion to an aluminum body a few years ago (IMO, at least), the F-Series did not really add very much to the state of truck design.

Lincoln Navigator was very influential
The Navigator, initially, sold mainly to celebrities and NFL/NBA athletes. It was a status-symbol more than a real advance in truck/SUV engineering. The latest Navigator, with its handsome styling and vastly-improved interior, is more of an advance than past-generations were. But it is certainly not worthy, IMO, of being on the Top Ten All-Time List..

Same with the Escalade. Until the very latest new version (which, like the latest Navigator, is at least a significant advancement), it was little more than a converted Bling-Truck than anything else...and the original one wasn't even that...it had a cheap interior for something in that class.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-22 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-13-22, 06:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

You're not choosing cars based on how "good" they were lol, its about what cars had the most significant impact on the industry as a whole...which were influential.

Another one that deserves to be on the list is the Ford Taurus.
Old 01-13-22, 06:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You're not choosing cars based on how "good" they were lol, its about what cars had the most significant impact on the industry as a whole...which were influential.

Another one that deserves to be on the list is the Ford Taurus.
I agree. But Taurus is totally defunct now. I think some modern relevance should be sort of considered as well. Both sales, popularity as well as engineering should sort of all be considered or weighed.
Old 01-13-22, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But if there were no Model S, there would be no Model 3. The Model S was the first mass produced EV that really cought on, and launched what is the modern EV.
I did not discount the Model S...in fact, like I said, you probably have at least somewhat of a point. But the Model S was a lot of cash........many people, especially outside of the wealthy D.C. and similar areas, simply could not afford to fork over that kind of $$$$ and still keep food on the table. The Model 3 solved much of that....in fact, IMO, the Model 3 probably has had much of the same effect in providing affordable BEVs for the masses as the original Model T, which I wrote about on the list, originally did, a century earlier, for gas-engined cars.

Old 01-13-22, 06:58 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 542 Likes on 366 Posts

And if there were no Roadster, there would be no Model S...
All good.

I would argue that no other car company has had the effect on the industry as Tesla since Henry's achievements...
Now that '64 GTO... OMG!

Quick Reply: MM Retro Write-Up: The Ten Most Influential Vehicles in Automotive History.