Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Retro Write-Up: The Ten Most Influential Vehicles in Automotive History.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 02:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Hard to say whether I would choose the Corolla or the Civic, or both as one unit but they definitely paved the way for the introduction of Japanese economy cars to America and deserve a mention.
Both are worthy mentions. The Corolla was first but 6 years and outsells the Civic 3-1 all time. 60 million vs 18 million. Both are in the 11th gen.
Old 01-14-22, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JTMav
I appreciate your effort. Top 10, or whatever number, list just invite suggestions( to be kind). I think you did a pretty good job.

Thanks. I thought the 1984 Chrysler Minivans were probably the best suggestion brought up by other CL members. Though VW had previously done the rear-engined/air-cooled minivan in 1949, Chevrolet had done the Corvair-based rear-engined/air-cooled Greenbriar minivan in the 1960s, and Ford and Dodge had each done conventional front-engined/rear-drive minivans in the same decade, Chrysler was the first to come up with the modern FWD minivan as we knew it, which pretty much doomed most conventional station wagons to also-ran status. But, of course, in doing so, they used the same transverse-engine layout that had been introduced in 1959 with the Mini.
Old 01-14-22, 02:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. I thought the 1984 Chrysler Minivans were probably the best suggestion brought up by other CL members. Though VW had previously done the rear-engined/air-cooled minivan in 1949, Chevrolet had done the Corvair-based rear-engined/air-cooled Greenbriar minivan in the 1960s, and Ford and Dodge had each done conventional front-engined/rear-drive minivans in the same decade, Chrysler was the first to come up with the modern FWD minivan as we knew it, which pretty much doomed most conventional station wagons to also-ran status. But, of course, in doing so, they used the same transverse-engine layout that had been introduced in 1959 with the Mini.
Very trueMM. But the Chrysler minivans created “minivan”. Not sure if they are still as influential as they once were. But they sell a ton
Old 01-14-22, 03:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Very trueMM. But the Chrysler minivans created “minivan”. Not sure if they are still as influential as they once were. But they sell a ton
Influential for sure. They created an entire era of minivans that totally changed how families transported themselves.
Old 01-14-22, 03:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Influential for sure. They created an entire era of minivans that totally changed how families transported themselves.
I think the Chrysler vans are Top 10 all time most influential. Undeniable.
Old 01-14-22, 03:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Not to mention they single-handedly saved one of the big 3 US Automakers.
Old 01-14-22, 03:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Now I’m in the mood to reminisce.

this is a work of art. If you’re an enthusiast for cars, this is so interesting for 1984.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-14-22 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-14-22, 03:14 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think the Model 3 was far more influential than the Model S. It was the proof of concept needed to validate that EVs could be mainstream. Tesla sales didn't do much until Model 3 came into the market and now Tesla is a trillion dollar company and the entire world is driving to EVs. In that same vein, the EV1 from GM could also be on the list.
I would say without the groundbreaking that the Model S made, the Model 3 would not have had the same success. Look at how many car companies scrambled to try to replicate what Tesla did with the Model S, before the Model 3 even came out.
Old 01-14-22, 03:16 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
"Iconic" and "influential" are 2 different things.
The Mini was both. It pioneered the use of transversely mounted FWD, probably the most common current configuration today. It is rightfully on the list.
Old 01-14-22, 03:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
The Mini was both. It pioneered the use of transversely mounted FWD.
i never knew that.
Old 01-14-22, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So looking around the internet at some other lists made by various publications, thoughts I might mention a few

Ford Mustang
Toyota Corolla (best selling car ever)
Jeep *****
Land Rover Defender

Thoughts MM?

The original 1964 Mustang? Sold like free beer, but IMO nothing really new. Just a standard compact Ford Falcon frame/platform with an (admittedly) great-looking sport-oriented body and interior. Seducing to look at and sit in (and priced low in base trim), but, under the skin, the same vehicle as the in-line-six and small-block V8 Falcons. That would change, of course, when the big-block and street-racer Shelby-Mustangs came along a couple of years later.

Corolla? Again, IMO, popular, but nothing really new or innovative. An extremely-well-built (once they dealt with the rust-problem), dead-reliable subcompact with a tried/conventional layout. You could drive and commute in it until the wheels fell off.....or rusted away.

Jeep ******? Maybe....you could toss a coin on that one. There's no question it served the military well and helped win World War II, and that it probably introduced the concept of the off-road SUV as we knew it and it were to later become. But, until the 1980s or so, SUVs (Broncos, Blazers, etc...) were mostly a niche-market in the U.S., except for the relatively few who bought Jeep Wagoneers (mostly in the Snow Belt, with Jeep's 4WD), until the 4-door Cherokee came out in 1984, which really was a hit.

Land Rover Defender? Again, the original ones in 1948 were, IMO, not really that innovative. The British, as our Allies, had been quite impressed wth our WWII Jeep, although they had a few military vehicles of their own. After the war, they took the basic Jeep frame, gave it a steel (or fabric)-enclosed body, redid the fenders, added a few courtesies inside for passengers (still very primitive by today's standards), installed a British Rover engine, and Presto.....your first Land Rover. Toyota followed, some years later, with the first primitive Land Cruisers. Actually, the first Range Rover, in 1970, arguably the first attempt at a true luxury-based SUV, was probably more innovative than the original ones in the late 40s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-14-22 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-14-22, 03:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The original 1964 Mustang? Sold like free beer, but IMO nothing really new. Just a standard compact Ford Falcon frame/platform with an (admittedly) great-looking sport-oriented body and interior. Seducing to look at and sit in (and priced low in base trim), but, under the skin, the same vehicle as the in-line-six and small-block V8 Falcons. That would change, of course, when the big-block and street-racer Shelby-Mustangs came along a couple of years later.

Corolla? Again, IMO, popular, but nothing really new or innovative. An extremely-well-built (once they dealt with the rust-problem), dead-reliable subcompact with a tried/conventional layout. You could drive and commute in it until the wheels fell off.....or rusted away.

Jeep ******? Maybe....you could toss a coin on that one. There's no question it served the military well and helped win World War II, and that it probably introduced the concept of the off-road SUV as we knew it and it were to later become. But, until the 1980s or so, SUVs (Broncos, Blazers, etc...) were mostly a niche-market in the U.S., except for the relatively few who bought Jeep Wagoneers (mostly in the Snow Belt, with Jeep's 4WD), until the 4-door Cherokee came out in 1984, which really was a hit.

Land Rover Defender? Again, the original ones in 1948 were, IMO, not really that innovative. The British, as our Allies, had been quite impressed wth our WWII Jeep, although they had a few military vehicles of their own. After the war, they took the basic Jeep frame, gave it a steel (or fabric)-enclosed body, redid the fenders, added a few courtesies inside for passengers (still very primitive by today's standards), installed a British Rover engine, and Presto.....your first Land Rover. Toyota followed, some years later, with the first primitive Land Cruisers. Actually, the first Range Rover, in 1970, arguably the first attempt at a true luxury-based SUV, was probably more innovative than the original ones in the late 40s.
Interesting input MM. I don’t know as much about these cars, at least their past like you do.

Here is an interesting list. You have a few from your list on there

Hotcars

your thoughts? Nobody has said Mercedes. Or Lambo.

looks at what car is number 2.

Old 01-14-22, 03:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

1908-1927 Model T Ford…it put America on Wheels.
1912 Cadillac……..The First Electric Self-Starter.
1932 Model A Ford…the First Widespread Affordable V8 Engine.
1936 Volkswagen Beetle……Mass-Market Rear Air-Cooled Engines.
1948 Tucker 48 Torpedo…..Unheard-of Safety and Design Advancements for the Period
1955 Chevrolet.…the First Truly Modern Mass-Produced V8
1959 Mini Cooper……..Transverse Engines and FWD
1964 Pontiac GTO….the Classic American Muscle-Car.
1980/81 AMC Eagle/Eagle SX4……the First Car-Based All-Wheel-Drive.
2000 Toyota Prius…the First Practical Mass-Practical Gas/Electric Hybrid
If the key word is 'INFLUENTIAL' You get the Model T, VW Beetle, Mini Cooper, GTO, and Prius right.

I'm adding:
Chrysler Airflow - First car with an aerodynamic body and revolutionary tubular steel
****** Jeep - First massed-produced civilian four-wheel drive car
Toyota Corolla - Best selling vehicle ever
Porsche 911 - The benchmark of sportscars
Tesla Model S - First mainstream EV

Additionally I'd say the Chrysler Minivan is also influential though it's outside my top 10.
Old 01-14-22, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Also, Jill......the 1964 Plymouth Barracuda ponycar actually beat the Mustang to market by a very short period (I don't remember exactly how long......maybe by a couple of weeks), but it could not realistically compete with the Mustang, and sold in far lower numbers, because it looked too much like the Valiant compact it was derived from. It had an enormous rear-window (one of the largest single-pieces of glass ever designed for automotive use), and a humongous cargo area in back with the fold-down rear seat, but was otherwise simply too much of a reskinned Valiant for the public. Chrysler didn't fool the public quite as easily with the Barracuda as Ford did with the Mustang, because Ford did a far better job of hiding the Mustang's origins.

I owned a 1964 Barracuda, for about a year, right out of high school, before my big Buick in college...but I haven't done a write-up on it yet. Might get around to it sometime.
Old 01-14-22, 03:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If the key word is 'INFLUENTIAL' You get the Model T, VW Beetle, Mini Cooper, GTO, and Prius right.

I'm adding:
Chrysler Airflow - First car with an aerodynamic body and revolutionary tubular steel
****** Jeep - First massed-produced civilian four-wheel drive car
Toyota Corolla - Best selling vehicle ever
Porsche 911 - The benchmark of sportscars
Tesla Model S - First mainstream EV

Additionally I'd say the Chrysler Minivan is also influential though it's outside my top 10.
You are late to the party. But Nice list and corespondent commentary

Quick Reply: MM Retro Write-Up: The Ten Most Influential Vehicles in Automotive History.