Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scotty Kilmer changes spark plugs on a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 10:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,964 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Was he drunk or medicated in that vid? Not trying to be mean, he indeed didn't look quite right.
Old 01-15-22, 03:57 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
True. But I don't get why he was complaining so much about a routine job there are far, far worse engines to work on. BMW.
True it is literally impossible to change the sparkplugs on my BMW. If you can do it I'll give you $1M.

Spoiler

Old 01-15-22, 06:05 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
The Lexus ones......I'm serious. The others suck more to do and vans get a bonus. Honda is passable as well
Just becuz it's less terrible, it is still terrible.
Old 01-15-22, 07:43 AM
f14tomcat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scotty!!!!! Calm done and get the job done. All Lexus DIY owners know there is a lot of STUFF to move out of the way for any maintenance item. But, thanks for the insight on plug condition as it relates to buying a used vehicle.
Old 01-15-22, 08:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Was he drunk or medicated in that vid? Not trying to be mean, he indeed didn't look quite right.
he was like he always is, click bait title, cranky, deliberately making his video over 10 minutes for best monetization, appealing to the easily irritated 'get off my lawn' types.
Old 01-15-22, 09:23 AM
wechslerl
Driver School Candidate

Response to bitkahuna about EV's.
It is not just because they (The EV's) are new, but also I will not be taking a trip out of town before I know there are as many charging stations as gas stations and that my EV's charging plug is addequate for what is out there or have an adapter for it.!
In addition, did you know that many States are placing a Tax on EV's to compensate for lost revenue from gasoline!!!!!
This is the biggest hidden future problem, because those taxes will go up, the more EV, are on the market and this is during this decade!
Also I need to know if in order to get to the RELAYS of the 2016 Rx 350, one needs to remove the brake fluid reservoir ?????

Last edited by wechslerl; 01-15-22 at 09:28 AM. Reason: adding a question
Old 01-15-22, 09:31 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Looking at the Merc engine, it is a 90 degree V6, which is less than ideal, while the Lexus is a 60 degree. Are engineers forced to design such clusterpluck of an intake because of the space limitation with the 60 degree V? If so, it's little wonder many premium brands prefer inline 6 instead.
Try that on the non-Pentastar v6s that followed. Intake comes off for the plugs. On the other hand, the engine is FAR more reliable even considering the switch to direct injection (practically no deposits, especially compared to its other German competitors).

Sparks on these engines last a ton of time, not much of an issue. The annoying part about this job is taking off the intake manifold with the two bolts next to the firewall - the nasty effect is that checking compression on an actually hot engine is somewhat difficult since it takes so long to get to that point. Then again, these don't really break, so...

Originally Posted by geko29
True it is literally impossible to change the sparkplugs on my BMW. If you can do it I'll give you $1M.
To compensate for the lack of spark plugs, you have a timing chain at the back :P
Old 01-15-22, 09:37 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

He said in the video he has the omnicron, and still slightly sick, but almost recovered.

Clickbait title, but the video itself is pretty good and educational. Some of his repairs are of questionable quality and he often does a half *** job with half assed parts, but spark plug replacement is pretty straight forward. I skipped through the video, but I don't believe he mentioned about checking the gap on the plugs, which is very important, especially on turbo engines.

The best repair videos are ChrisFix youtube channel. Chris really prepares for his videos, he is very thorough, well spoken, goes into all the details, shows tools and parts required, and gets the job done right. I enjoy watching his videos even if I am not planning any such repairs myself.
Old 01-15-22, 09:37 AM
wechslerl
Driver School Candidate

Scotty, I saw You on YouTube after you had the New variant of Covid. You said that you feel much better, all the healthy stuff to You.
Did you take Zinc 50 mg twice a day ?
And now a question for You.
In order to get to the RELAYS of 2015-2016 RX 350, do I need to remove the brake fluid reservoir that sits above it, or there is an easier way ????
Old 01-15-22, 09:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Try that on the non-Pentastar v6s that followed. Intake comes off for the plugs. On the other hand, the engine is FAR more reliable even considering the switch to direct injection (practically no deposits, especially compared to its other German competitors).

Sparks on these engines last a ton of time, not much of an issue. The annoying part about this job is taking off the intake manifold with the two bolts next to the firewall - the nasty effect is that checking compression on an actually hot engine is somewhat difficult since it takes so long to get to that point. Then again, these don't really break, so...
Replacing spark plugs on the 3UZ was super easy, 15 minute job with basic tools.
Old 01-15-22, 09:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by wechslerl
Scotty, I saw You on YouTube after you had the New variant of Covid. You said that you feel much better, all the healthy stuff to You.
In order to get to the RELAYS of 2015-2016 RX 350, do I need to remove the brake fluid reservoir that sits above it, or there is an easier way ????
You might want to post this question over on the 3rd or 4th Gen RX forum. More drivers of this model will see it over there.

Last edited by LexBob2; 01-15-22 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-15-22, 09:55 AM
wechslerl
Driver School Candidate

Response to "You might want to post this question over on the 4th Gen RX forum. More drivers of this model will see it over there."
I did place it there but this is the problem. Most users of 4th generation are not buyers but leasers who keep the car for 3 or four years and then return it for a newer one. Those people have no clue and are not registered on this Club.
That's why I am placing it here for the people that buy the used models! Thanks, Wechslerl
Old 01-15-22, 09:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Scotty, I did not know You are also on this site.
I hope You feel much better now and no side effects !!
Scotty, I have a question.
Do you need to remove the brake fluid reservoir to access the relay box in 2016 RX 350 !! ??
Thanks, Your follower on YouTube!
FYI, the video here was added (link to youtube) to the first post of the thread on this site, but as far as i know, scotty is not on this site. so i doubt he'll see your questions.

i didn't post anything about ev's.

Originally Posted by Och
He said in the video he has the omnicron, and still slightly sick, but almost recovered.
i must have missed it, as like you, i skipped through his endless "bolts" and "stupid design" comments.

Old 01-15-22, 10:45 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i must have missed it, as like you, i skipped through his endless "bolts" and "stupid design" comments.
It's not uncommon for mechanics to rant and curse about stupid designs, but at least this time he did the job right. Some of his approach to repairs is downright shoddy and misleading.
Old 01-15-22, 11:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,959 Posts

He's such a boob lol

Quick Reply: Scotty Kilmer changes spark plugs on a Lexus