Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What exactly makes the range rover so special?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-03, 07:42 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The range rover is like +20k over all other suv's/jeeps. I wonder too sometimes why is it so much more.
Gotta be more than snob appeal....
Old 10-09-03, 12:54 PM
<<--YK-->>
Driver School Candidate

Status symbol + excellent offroad capability + british heritage (even though they're now owned by Ford?).

Thats basically why they cost more. I wouldn't personally buy one, but i wouldn't turn down the chance of driving one. Lotsa offroad-ability.....dammit I was impressed by the offroading ability of my ex's Pathfinder and my best friend's QX4, i'd prolly be blown away by a range or Discovery.....but whats up with the Freelander? Doesn't it look identical to the Ford escape?

PS: My dentist got the new something or other HSE7....looks pretty nice.

Last edited by <<--YK-->>; 10-09-03 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-18-12, 09:06 AM
Gavinw35
Rookie

Its all about the image.. I have a Lexus Rx and a Jaguar S type 4.2 and they are great to drive. For about two weeks I got the chance to test out the Range Rover Sport and the Range Rover Supercharged. I had really wanted a Range Rover and then ended up with the lexus instead. I have to say while driving the Range Rover sport and the Range Rover Supercharged within just two weeks both had "faults". The Range Rover Sport had a "park break fault" and a "tire pressure monitoring system fault" and the Sport was the best of the two but the power did not impress, the navigation is a reach as well as all of the window controls. Now the Range Rover supercharge was VERY disappointing! It had power but there was something wrong with the transmission it would not shift up! You would get on the freeway and would just stay at around 5000 Rpm loud as can be. I would have to switch it over to sport mode and manually shift it up. Overall was not a pleasant experience. I couldnt wait to get back to the Jaguar.
Old 04-18-12, 09:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Holy 9 year old thread bump
Old 04-18-12, 10:04 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol wow.

But Ill add that it is the same thing that fuels Escalade sales.
Old 04-18-12, 10:07 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snob appeal to the old colonialistic crowd convices some of the "old money" to buy into it and that gets the "me too" crowd to follow. The TLC is just as capable and just as popular in the colonies, but it doesn't get driven by the very rich.
Old 04-18-12, 10:11 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Queen drives one.

And I'd **** the Queen.

But she won't **** me if I don't drive a Range Rover...

Old 04-18-12, 03:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What makes the Range Rover so special?
Simple. They keep these guys in buisness.

Old 04-18-12, 03:02 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Land rover is now under Indian ownership, tata motors.

Most of the off road land rover tanks used around the world are not the luxury laden vehicles we get here. Hence they are a bit more reliable.
I also don't really understand the appeal. I don't think they are particularly attractive looking, nothing extraordinary performance wise, and definitely not the off road monsters they are over seas (with our 20" low profile rubber). If you want a performance SUV, I'd rather geta BMW or a Benz. Pure luxury, can't do better than the LX.
Old 04-18-12, 03:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

talk about a thread from the dead hah

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Simple. They keep these guys in buisness.

best response
Old 04-18-12, 04:51 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - didn't see how old this thread was until the second page..heh.

Why special? This is why:

I remember seeing a display stand at the dealer in the 90s where all 4 wheels were articulated..pretty impressive stuff.

The V8s used to be pretty anemic too - so it seemed like even more of an overpriced vehicle.

Since probably less than 1% of owners in the US take them off road, it's all about status now... lame.

Just like a 911, it's pretty much stayed the same shape over the years. The new Evoque is pretty cool, but I saw one today from behind and it just looked like the roof was caved in as a result of a roll-over.
Old 04-18-12, 05:04 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL ancient thread FTW Hahaha!! My friend just bought a Range Rover Sport and I was disappointed. I like the HSE a little better.
Old 04-18-12, 05:25 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha dude dont go around digging up 9 y/o threads. I almost bought a RR Sport s/c but I knew that I was gonna encounter a lot of problems down the road lol.
Old 04-18-12, 06:54 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's the S-Class of SUVs!
Old 04-18-12, 08:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gavinw35
Its all about the image.. I have a Lexus Rx and a Jaguar S type 4.2 and they are great to drive. For about two weeks I got the chance to test out the Range Rover Sport and the Range Rover Supercharged. I had really wanted a Range Rover and then ended up with the lexus instead. I have to say while driving the Range Rover sport and the Range Rover Supercharged within just two weeks both had "faults". The Range Rover Sport had a "park break fault" and a "tire pressure monitoring system fault" and the Sport was the best of the two but the power did not impress, the navigation is a reach as well as all of the window controls. Now the Range Rover supercharge was VERY disappointing! It had power but there was something wrong with the transmission it would not shift up! You would get on the freeway and would just stay at around 5000 Rpm loud as can be. I would have to switch it over to sport mode and manually shift it up. Overall was not a pleasant experience. I couldnt wait to get back to the Jaguar.
There are a number of reasons why the Range Rover has appeal.

1. Very nice interior (on par with Lexus yet has its own identity)

2. Very, very capae vehicle.

3. A good size. About the same size a LX. Not a huge vehicle, but not a small vehicle.

4. Has new state of the art tech.

5. Rare non body on frame large SUV.

Its only real downfall is the reliability.

Quick Reply: What exactly makes the range rover so special?