Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What exactly makes the range rover so special?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 08:24 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There are a number of reasons why the Range Rover has appeal.

1. Very nice interior (on par with Lexus yet has its own identity)

2. Very, very capae vehicle.

3. A good size. About the same size a LX. Not a huge vehicle, but not a small vehicle.

4. Has new state of the art tech.

5. Rare non body on frame large SUV.

Its only real downfall is the reliability.
1. Do you call interiors of Vogue, HSE, and what not good interiors? They are above average, but not really good. Evoque interior looks pretty cheap for a luxury car.

2. If you said Land Rover is capable, I can understand that, but Range Rover? It's all show no go.

3. Size is great, and proportion is not bad.

4. Enlighten me please. What is a new tech Range Rover made?

5. That makes it special.

Whoever this is, thanks for reviving 9 year old thread. LOL
Old 04-18-12, 08:30 PM
LexFather

Greatest thread bump ever!

Old 04-19-12, 01:13 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ebruce2
it's the snob appeal without question....that's what sells these vehicles. Convince some wealthy people that some certain vehicle is a must-have, and they will buy it in droves. Regardless of reliability, TCO, ect.
^ That is totally it. Kind of the same thing with Saab too, but on a less grand scale. I remember back in high school some of the wealthy kids got Saabs, but we called them Snaabs.
Old 04-19-12, 04:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the Land Cruiser/LX, the Range rover is known, world over, as one of the most serious off road SUV's ever built. *THAT'S* what makes them special.
Old 04-19-12, 11:46 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

what makes me wonder is how the hell they sell them when they are ranked dead last in reliability or at least the bottom three. I just dont think luxury should stop in the cabin of the car. Luxury to me is also the luxury to drive without issues, or at least as few as possible
Old 04-19-12, 12:34 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
what makes me wonder is how the hell they sell them when they are ranked dead last in reliability or at least the bottom three. I just dont think luxury should stop in the cabin of the car. Luxury to me is also the luxury to drive without issues, or at least as few as possible
The people I know with '08+ Ranger Rovers have actually had little to no problems. My one buddy who has an '04 doesn't start after sitting for more than a week because the air suspension keeps draining the battery.
Old 04-19-12, 01:30 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
The people I know with '08+ Ranger Rovers have actually had little to no problems. My one buddy who has an '04 doesn't start after sitting for more than a week because the air suspension keeps draining the battery.
I actually almost bought a 08 and a few of my friends have 07-08's and they've had numerous problems with the trans and the air suspension.
Old 04-19-12, 02:08 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Like the Land Cruiser/LX, the Range rover is known, world over, as one of the most serious off road SUV's ever built. *THAT'S* what makes them special.
I think you're combining both Land Rover and Range Rover together. No way in hell Range Rover is more well known than LC/LX brothers especially in Asian countries.
My friend had Range Rover Vogue in Cambodia, and he prefers MB G over it on both off roader appearance and capability. For some reasons, he ended up getting ML.

Last edited by cino; 04-19-12 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 03:28 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cino
1. Do you call interiors of Vogue, HSE, and what not good interiors? They are above average, but not really good. Evoque interior looks pretty cheap for a luxury car.

2. If you said Land Rover is capable, I can understand that, but Range Rover? It's all show no go.

3. Size is great, and proportion is not bad.

4. Enlighten me please. What is a new tech Range Rover made?

5. That makes it special.

Whoever this is, thanks for reviving 9 year old thread. LOL
I'll play, it's the heritage that makes it special. The body style for the most part has been the same throughout all generations -- similar to the 911. RR created the luxury SUV segment. RRs are extremly capable off road. Do some research. The interiors ARE above average. BTW they can be customized in the autobiography editions. They also have above average handling given size. A few items to note about tech, the'13 LX just got a similar terrain response system, the '13 G Class just got a TFT screen (which the RR had since '10) and the supercharged version is a member of the 500 HP club. Although the current gen is 10 yrs old, it has been updated throughout the life cycle -- once in '06 and then again in '10. I recently bought #3 of this generation (had the 2nd gen GS430 before buying my first RR back in 2005).

i don't buy vehicles based on JDP, but I know you guys love these studies on CL. The reliability has improved over the years. At 212 problems per 100 in 2011, LR would have ranked ahead of Lexus in '00. *In fact almost every manufacturer had better quality in '11 than Lexus did in '00. Point is ALL manufacturers have improved in quality. For the most part, the days of a late model vehicle sitting on the side of the road are behind us.

2011 VDS
http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?ID=2011029

2005 VDS
http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/0...sized-425).JPG

2000 VDS
http://www.just-auto.com/news/lexus-...r_id75531.aspx

Interesting to note RR has outsold both LX and Land Cruiser combined even though it is more expensive than both.

Last edited by kwr; 04-19-12 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-20-12, 04:24 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cino
I think you're combining both Land Rover and Range Rover together. No way in hell Range Rover is more well known than LC/LX brothers especially in Asian countries.
My friend had Range Rover Vogue in Cambodia, and he prefers MB G over it on both off roader appearance and capability. For some reasons, he ended up getting ML.
I'm talking about the Range Rover. Like the LC/LX, it is not a bunny slope off roader, like 99% of LSUV's. In production form, it is considered a serious off road vehicle, a shining star in its class. It is historically known for its off-road traversing prowess and luxury. You won't find anything but capable off roaders in the Australian outback, where real off road capabilities are not only desired, but required. I did not say one was more well known that the other, just pointing out an answer to the OP's question.
Old 04-20-12, 05:04 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I look at the RRS all the time and would love to buy one if I knew I would be in the dealer = to a BMW or less.

The style, inside and out, at least for the recent years, is the reason why. I know this is an old thread but recently, they upped their game a lot and tell me what else is on the maket like it?

i can look at an RX \ X5 \ Q \ ML and from the outside go not bad, where as the RRS to me says sporty and lets go drive this mother......................
Old 04-20-12, 05:08 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kwr
I'll play, it's the heritage that makes it special. The body style for the most part has been the same throughout all generations -- similar to the 911. RR created the luxury SUV segment. RRs are extremly capable off road. Do some research. The interiors ARE above average. BTW they can be customized in the autobiography editions. They also have above average handling given size. A few items to note about tech, the'13 LX just got a similar terrain response system, the '13 G Class just got a TFT screen (which the RR had since '10) and the supercharged version is a member of the 500 HP club. Although the current gen is 10 yrs old, it has been updated throughout the life cycle -- once in '06 and then again in '10. I recently bought #3 of this generation (had the 2nd gen GS430 before buying my first RR back in 2005).

Interesting to note RR has outsold both LX and Land Cruiser combined even though it is more expensive than both.
I expect sale number.
So
1st question, do RRs have very nice interior? which isn't just above average.
2nd, You got me on that one.
3rd, We agree that RRs are not bad looking cars.
4th, TFT has been around for years, maybe not in its class, but its been around in auto industry for years. Terrain setting has also been around long enough, but it was not refined as it is now.
5th, Does none body-on-frame make them special?

I'm still not convinced that Evoque lives up to the heritage. It's a nice looking car, but... not nice enough to be a RR.

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I'm talking about the Range Rover. Like the LC/LX, it is not a bunny slope off roader, like 99% of LSUV's. In production form, it is considered a serious off road vehicle, a shining star in its class. It is historically known for its off-road traversing prowess and luxury. You won't find anything but capable off roaders in the Australian outback, where real off road capabilities are not only desired, but required. I did not say one was more well known that the other, just pointing out an answer to the OP's question.
I see.
Old 04-20-12, 10:22 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

You should see the newest Ultimate Edition. There is one here in San Antonio, TX, and damn. Only 50 made.

edit: My pops just bought a new LR4, and yet another "damn"...these cars are awesome, fun, cool looking, and can seriously handle any off-road situation...even with the dealer issued tires.

Last edited by ashtray; 04-20-12 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 12:34 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

Ha ha did not even realize it was a nine year old thread and did not realize my one comment would revive it!

The Range Rovers now are beautiful cars, just when I got behind the wheel and drove them they did not impress, Im used to large SUV's and the Range Rover Supercharged felt enormous, the steering was not tight the acceleration was great for an SUV but the shifts were terrible. I would drive one but would never actually buy one.

The Range Rover Sport HSE was great to drive at first but had annoying faults and the more time I spent in it the less enjoyable it was. The Ipod connector is in the backseat making it very annoying to change a song. The navigation is so far up the dash it is a reach to use it. The window buttons are also at the very front of the door pannel and at the top making that a reach as well. I enjoyed the ride, the sound system, and the look of the car but there are more cons then pros. Even the tailgate is obnoxious and seems pointless.

It would be interesting to know how many Range Rover owners become return customers...
Old 04-23-12, 12:54 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

slow?
i dont think so

Range Rover classic is what best represents the brand (other than the Defender)

its interior and the engineering for all scenarios is where it sets itself apart
you wont really appreciate it unless you are inside on a cold winter's day or out in the country

Quick Reply: What exactly makes the range rover so special?