Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What exactly makes the range rover so special?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 01:17 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know a few people that have Range Rovers. It's really all about status now, nobody I know that has one takes it off road ever willfully. It's all about rolling around in style looking like you got money (and they do). The favorites between the people I know seem to be the Range Rover HSE and Supercharged. They do continue to have lots of reliability issues, and NONE of my friends will deny that they are unreliable cars to own. The funny thing is they will gladly buy a Range Rover, keep it till right before the warranty is up, and then trade it in for a new model and repeat the cycle over. They just love rolling around in them too much, and for most of the people I know its only a weekend cruiser or a car that gets taken out when going for a night out somewhere or driving around in downtown. I've sat in a few of their Land Rovers and they do have very good interiors - some great detail and VERY comfortable seats on the inside for all - not just the driver and front passenger. The ride is very smooth for something of its size so it adds to the Luxury too. So I do understand why people love them so much as cruisers. But when I ask some of them why the reliability issue doesn't bother them its simple as this: They don't drive them that much anyways, and while the car is being repaired free under warranty, they get another Range Rover (LR3 usually) to cruise around in anyways. So it just doesn't bother them if the car is gone for a week or two at a time. Hey i guess if money is not a problem, i wouldn't mind thinking like that either... lol
Old 04-23-12, 04:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The range rover got its reputation for hardcore off road abilities. Nowadays 99.9% of them will never even see dirt let alone rocks and mud. Its all status thing, which makes me laugh. At least with a Lexus you get the status and it actually works all of the time. The Range Rover has been on the very very bottom of the reliability rankings list more than once . They are usually way way the hell down towards the bottom if not dead last
Old 04-23-12, 04:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ultimate Land Rover interior is very nice, you can customise it to your liking. But reliability is always an issue, especially for a off-road focused SUV. Come on, who would want their SUV dead in the mountain or in a desert?
Old 04-23-12, 05:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The range rover got its reputation for hardcore off road abilities. Nowadays 99.9% of them will never even see dirt let alone rocks and mud. Its all status thing, which makes me laugh. At least with a Lexus you get the status and it actually works all of the time. The Range Rover has been on the very very bottom of the reliability rankings list more than once . They are usually way way the hell down towards the bottom if not dead last
Interestingly enough, they never sold that well in Arab or Asian countries where you actually need that off road abilities... thats where Toyota has half of the market usually, rest taken by Nissan, Mitsu or Hyundai these days.
Old 04-23-12, 10:24 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Interestingly enough, they never sold that well in Arab or Asian countries where you actually need that off road abilities... thats where Toyota has half of the market usually, rest taken by Nissan, Mitsu or Hyundai these days.
Right on. I have seen more Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi sell more off road SUVs and pick up trucks than any brands in Asia.