Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What exactly makes the range rover so special?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-03, 01:00 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts
Default What exactly makes the range rover so special?

I think that until the very latest design, they were all boxy and ugly, fairly slow i believe also. What has made the range rover so popular over the years, and expensive? I know little about them.
Old 10-06-03, 01:09 PM
5speed300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its offroad capabilities are known worldwide which pushed its development up and therefore the price. In my opinion it is not a special car, but because they are not cheap, others with less knowledge think they are special. The original Land Rovers were to the British what the Jeep CJ is to the US.
Old 10-06-03, 01:09 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

Well after test driving one after testing the LX, I have no clue. It rides better than the Discovery(which riding in a wheel barrow would feel better than riding in this thing) which isn't really saying a whole lot. I don't care for them very much.

Last edited by amy011079; 10-06-03 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-06-03, 07:42 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

i think it's cause you can put dubbs on 'em

EDIT: and spinners !!!!!

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-06-03 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-06-03, 09:12 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

it's the snob appeal without question....that's what sells these vehicles. Convince some wealthy people that some certain vehicle is a must-have, and they will buy it in droves. Regardless of reliability, TCO, ect.
Old 10-06-03, 10:51 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

My mom has an 02 Land Rover Discovery Series II.

Good car, I can't really find much I don't like about it.

The ride is decent (definitely not like a 'wheel-barrow'), nothing spectacular like a Lexus, but not bad.

We use it mostly for the snowy roads up in Lake Tahoe during the winter time. Overall I don't think it's a bad car in any respect, but if it came down to it, I'd spend my money elsewhere, like on a Lexus

The only problem is that us Lexus owners have such incredibly high expecations from other car manufacturers. Sucks for the competition, but hey, whatcha gonna do?
Old 10-06-03, 11:23 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

The only problem is that us Lexus owners have such incredibly high expecations from other car manufacturers.
that my friend is the quote of the year
Old 10-07-03, 06:20 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Its the image that basically sells it. I would take a LX470 over any land rover. Its just not worth the price. Why would I pay for image when I could pay for quality. If you buy one of these things its not for its off-road capabilities anyways so why would it even matter how capable it is? If you wanted capability you wouuld have bought a Jeep or the original hummer.
Old 10-07-03, 08:11 AM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

I used to have a land rover discovery back in the day. It was a cool truck, decent in comfort and luxury but the reliability was horrible. I did not have many problems while I owned it but when I went to sell it, everything under the hood was leaking, you name it, it was leaking. The best thing about Land Rovers is the 4 wheelin. There is noone that can touch, (except a hummer) their off roadin capabilities. I went on some of the land rover expeditions and I gotta tell ya, it was amazing the things that these trucks could do. The resale value on these trucks sucks too. I ended up selling mine for like 6K below book. Would I buy another one, probably not, Do I think that the truck was pretty cool though, yup. That's just my opinion about the truck line.
Old 10-07-03, 08:34 AM
ChrisFL
Driver

I dunno, from everything I've read, Landcruisers have just as capable off-road capability as Land Rovers do, and they're used worldwide, probably more than Land Rovers are...
Old 10-07-03, 10:19 AM
LexFather

Range Rover does have tremendous off-road capabilities with luxury. The new Range Rover even more so. Yes, it is snob appeal some, like owning a LEXUS over a Landcruiser. At the Lexus event with the 43 SUVs my favorites were LX and Range Rover. Both rode the same, both went off-road with ease, both were luxurious. Factor in reliability and u know what I would buy. But I love the new Range, it is awesome.

Old 10-07-03, 10:23 AM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ChrisFL
I dunno, from everything I've read, Landcruisers have just as capable off-road capability as Land Rovers do, and they're used worldwide, probably more than Land Rovers are...
Actually, land rovers are used more then cruisers. Some of the land rovers that they do not even sell here that are sold in other country's, outnumber the cruiser by a lot. Also, the rovers have won the Camel trophy for like the last 8 or 9 years. Cruisers do not come close when it comes to off road capability.
Old 10-07-03, 11:40 AM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Being a former valet person, Ive driven everything from Dodge neons to Porsche Carerra's (boss' car).

The Land Rover is really nothing special, it is just the image that some of the buyer's want. Most people that own these Rover's dont even go off roading, as a matter of fact most SUV owners DONOT off road thier SUV's!! Hmm figure that out.

Old 10-07-03, 11:57 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

OLT ...2 words "Suspension Articulation" Go to the dealership and take one on their miny off-road trails and see what I mean.
Old 10-07-03, 04:37 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Letsride
Go to the dealership and take one on their miny off-road trails and see what I mean.
Last year, our family went to a lot of different dealerships looking for a new car (specifically SUV), and one of those was the Land Rover dealership. By this time, the Discovery Series II was out, so we decided to check it out.

They took us on their test course behind the dealership, and the only way to describe it was These cars have incredible offroad capabilities, combined with nice Luxury. We then bought the 2002 Discovery Series II, which is a completely different car than the previous years.

Like I said before, it's not where i would spend my money personally, but that doesn't mean they aren't decent cars.

They're nothing special (the Land Rover line has been in our garage since 1994, mainly due to my mom), but they're certainly not bad.

Quick Reply: What exactly makes the range rover so special?