Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2022 Lexus NX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-22, 06:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Until they perfect run-flats and make them as comfortable-riding as conventional tires, manufacturers shouldn't be foisting them upon us!
l.
A full sized spare tire is the only solution for flat tires. All other solutions will ruin a long driving trip. (even Tundra now has a temp spare)
We should be headed in the other direction, with engine bays becoming cleaner, not more messy.
Lexus used to cover up all the parts in the engine bay.

Why didn't Lexus just re-badge the Venza, rather than re-inventing the wheel?.
I don't think the Venza has the interior design compared the NX to use the Lexus. Venza is just a Toyota Harrier which used to be rebadged as a Lexus RX. Today, Lexus is more about driving dynamics, expressive exterior design which is bold and more trendy tech inside. I think the Venza would represent Lexus of yesteryear, boring and sedate yet well built and very quiet,

after being spoiled with the panache of a Lexus!
True. Hard to beat
Originally Posted by mmarshall
the added panache and customer-perks of the Lexus nameplate.
Like what perks? Free parking at the Texas Rangers baseball games as well or the $100 dining credit at the Rosewood Mansion

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-23-22 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-23-22, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks M&M for another great review!
Glad you enjoyed it, Wilson.

I liked the look of the seats--very inviting.
So do the cows LOL

No seriously, the NuLuxe material is just about the best leather substitute you are going to find these days.

As you and others noted, the engine bay looks like a hot mess. We should be headed in the other direction, with engine bays becoming cleaner, not more messy (good comparison you made to the 70's and 80's when smog controls were first being added).
The recent trend in ICEs to smaller turbocharged power-plants instead of larger N/A ones has not helped any, either, as more dusts/hardware is needed for the turbos.

Until they perfect run-flats and make them as comfortable-riding as conventional tires, manufacturers shouldn't be foisting them upon us!
I agree....but the Run-Flats used on the NX, while somewhat noticeable, don't seem to affect the ride quality as much as some past Run-Flats I've seen, so at least they have them partially perfected.

Why didn't Lexus just re-badge the Venza, rather than re-inventing the wheel? I doubt I'll ever get my wife into another Toyota after being spoiled with the panache of a Lexus!
^^^^^^See my comment, above, to tex2760.

BTW...I drove a UX for a day when my SC430 was in for an airbag recall, and like you, was impressed with it as well.
Yes, if you can get past its small somewhat claustrophobic interior and quirky console-controls, the road-manners are surprisingly good. If the Encore GX were not in production, I would have seriously considered one....although it is somewhat pricey for the size vehicle you get.
Old 01-23-22, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus used to cover up all the parts in the engine bay.
You mean like this, on the LS460?

I don't think the Venza has the interior design compared the NX to use the Lexus. Venza is just a Toyota Harrier which used to be rebadged as a Lexus RX. Today, Lexus is more about driving dynamics, expressive exterior design which is bold and more trendy tech inside. I think the Venza represents Lexus of yesteryear, boring and sedate yet well built and very quiet,
Perhaps you were not intending to do so, but actually, you nailed it......the new Venza is what made Lexus famous, and what the company symbolized. They unfortunately strayed from that in recent years.

Like what perks? Free parking at the Texas Rangers baseball games as well or the $100 dining credit at the Rosewood Mansion
The typical Lexus dealership is more posh and offers customers more features than the typical Toyota dealership.....child-care/playground, Wi-Fi service for PCs/Smart-Phones, free carwashes with every vehicle-service, etc......

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A full sized spare tire is the only solution for flat tires. All other solutions will ruin a long driving trip. (even Tundra now has a temp spare)
Agreed. The auto companies have come out with a host of different excuses for dumping real spare tires/wheels (space-saving, weight-saving, standard Roadside-Assistance programs, etc....).....but it doesn't take an advanced college-degree to figure out the main reason why....cost. Jacks, wheels, and even temporary/donut spare tires (much less real ones) cost money. Run-flat tires may cost a little more, but that added expense is probably balanced out by not needing a jack or tire-inflator bottle.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-23-22 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-23-22, 06:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

i could write a book about all the things i don't like about this nx, even though it's an improvement over the last one.

does anyone else find the proportions and design from this side view 'awkward' at the very least,

it's bigger sibling, the rx350 looks a lot better to me.

and on the nx interior...

i guess a complete lack of symmetry and mixing straight lines and curves is a thing?
the way the right side of the screen curves up with useless thick 'black space' ??

besides being reliable i'm sure, and having the new faster infotainment with big screen, i can't see any reason to recommend this to anyone. what am i missing?

Old 01-23-22, 07:01 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm not sure if the dealerships arrrre thaaaaat much better. Still not someplace you would want to spend your tie. Only difference is, lux dealerships are cleaner and everyone wears a tie. They are all still the same slimey reps and finance depts Only better dressed than a typical dealer. This supply shortage has brought out their true colors. So if one wants a venza or nx, dealership experience shouldnt be a factor.

Oh and 99.999% of the dealers will tell you "thats just the way it is" should you bring it in for something, lux or otherwise.
Old 01-23-22, 07:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i could write a book about all the things i don't like about this nx, even though it's an improvement over the last one.

does anyone else find the proportions and design from this side view 'awkward' at the very least,

it's bigger sibling, the rx350 looks a lot better to me.

and on the nx interior...

i guess a complete lack of symmetry and mixing straight lines and curves is a thing?
the way the right side of the screen curves up with useless thick 'black space' ??

besides being reliable i'm sure, and having the new faster infotainment with big screen, i can't see any reason to recommend this to anyone. what am i missing?
Sounds like you agree with me that the Venza is a better buy.

​​​​​​​Well, for one, the windshield is too raked.....it makes the front end look like it went halfway through a crusher LOL.
Old 01-23-22, 07:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Would you prefer that covers on this Lexus? Or no covers like on the NX?

Perhaps you were not intending to do so, but actually, you nailed it......the new Venza is what made Lexus famous, and what the company symbolized. They unfortunately strayed from that in recent years.
Oh knew what I was typing. I just think the Lexus of yesteryear is very boring compared to today. New millennials value something different than what Lexus offered in the past.
Old 01-23-22, 07:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Sounds like you agree with me that the Venza is a better buy.
probably so. i don't really care for the venza interior either (pretty plain) but at least there's more symmetry.

Old 01-23-22, 07:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I like dealers. I enjoy cars and when I take my newer cars for a oil change, I enjoy checking out what is new and exciting. I always say hi to the sales manager where I always buy my Toyotas and he also sold me my Lexus models I once owned, the key is talk about things not related to cars IMO. The Toyota dealer I go to is still a split Toyota/Lexus location. I have been a good customer for long to them so they gave me the code to the Lexus lounge with all the extra amenities, but I still like to come back to the Toyota side as I think is a better layout. I have never understood how anyone who is enthusiastic about cars could dislike the dealer. I even like the Tesla showrooms...they are really cool

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-23-22 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-23-22, 12:30 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Why would you want Lexus products to just be re-badged Toyotas?
To save development cost, just like they have done with other models. Like these other models, they could provide upgraded styling trim, sound-deadening, options and such. Perhaps my concept of "re-badging" is different from yours.
Old 01-23-22, 01:49 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To save development cost, just like they have done with other models. Like these other models, they could provide upgraded styling trim, sound-deadening, options and such. Perhaps my concept of "re-badging" is different from yours.
I’m not saying it doesn’t happen. But I don’t understand why any Lexus fan would want the NX to “just be a rebadged Venza”.
Old 01-23-22, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen. But I don’t understand why any Lexus fan would want the NX to “just be a rebadged Venza”.

Having reviewed both the new Venza and the new gas-powered NX, I can see perfectly why....the Venza is simply a better vehicle for the money. As bitkahuna points out, the interior, to our tastes, is less of an eyesore. The grille is less-polarizing, the console-shifter is much easier to use, the ride is a tad softer, and the doors and door locks are more substantial. Yes, the NX includes a First-Aid-Kit (Toyota doesn't), a longer warranty, the excellent NuLuxe upholstery, and probably better service at the dealerships. Given the choice, I'd take the Venza.
Old 01-23-22, 03:43 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I think he just means that the Venza would have made a better Lexus than the NX itself. Like how the new Mirai would have made a better Lexus than a Toyota.
Old 01-23-22, 03:45 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
NX is more targeted with the XC60 and Q5 rather than the XC40 and Q3.

But the NX does dip below those models in price as it offers the fairly lackluster NX250 models, which the Europeans do not.
Indeed, the fully loaded versions of the NX350 with the 2.4T are more expensive than the GV70 2.5T Prestige and the highest trim of the Acura RDX. Both of those are supposed to be rivals for the Q5 and X3.
Old 01-23-22, 04:09 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

It's personal...my wife won't step down (in prestige) after driving a Lexus for the last 10 years. I can't even get her on the Toyota lot to look at the Venza, let alone test drive it!

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2022 Lexus NX350