Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2022 Lexus NX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-22, 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
It's personal...my wife won't step down (in prestige) after driving a Lexus for the last 10 years. I can't even get her on the Toyota lot to look at the Venza, let alone test drive it!

Agreed.....a Venza is not worth more than your wedding ring.
Old 01-23-22, 05:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
It's personal...my wife won't step down (in prestige) after driving a Lexus for the last 10 years. I can't even get her on the Toyota lot to look at the Venza, let alone test drive it!
Suppose you could take the logo off the front, steering wheel and hatch and put some logos on there.
Old 01-23-22, 06:45 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I initially (before spending time in Venza and the new NX) also wondered how Lexus dealers could possibly have stood by while the Toyota dealers had the new RAV4, RAV4 Hybrid and RAV4 Prime and then the Venza while they were stuck with the old NX. The Venza is nowhere near where a Lexus product should be. Yes it has some elevated design cues, but the materials and overall refinement still left a lot to be desired. I'm glad for the Lexus brand that they didn't just slap the NX badge on the Venza and call it a day. The new NX. while still not exactly my cup of tea, is definitely a head above the Venza in overall build and materials.
Old 01-23-22, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
The new NX. while still not exactly my cup of tea, is definitely a head above the Venza in overall build and materials.
Disagree, but I respect your views.

I'm glad for the Lexus brand that they didn't just slap the NX badge on the Venza and call it a day.
A Lexus rebadge would obviously involve more than simply exchanging labels.

My original point was that I also felt that the NX had some unnecessary gimmicks, like the cheap-feeling/poorly-designed E-door-locks and the Punch-and-Guess shifter, that were, IMO, better left alone. Bitkahuna also brought out the opinion (and I agree with him) that the Venza's more-symmetrical interior was easier on the eyes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-23-22 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-23-22, 09:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i could write a book about all the things i don't like about this nx, even though it's an improvement over the last one.

does anyone else find the proportions and design from this side view 'awkward' at the very least,

it's bigger sibling, the rx350 looks a lot better to me.

and on the nx interior...

i guess a complete lack of symmetry and mixing straight lines and curves is a thing?
the way the right side of the screen curves up with useless thick 'black space' ??

besides being reliable i'm sure, and having the new faster infotainment with big screen, i can't see any reason to recommend this to anyone. what am i missing?
Based on the pics above, I don't see any issue other than the stupid front overhang on the NX. In fairness, the RX has the same overhang, but the angle of the photo hides it. Personally, I have never warmed up to the current RX's styling. The silver hearse carriage trim at the back (side) window wrecks it for me. Much more of a problem with dark colored models.

If there is one glaring flaw with the NX's interior, it's the plain passenger side dashboard. They dropped the ball there. But on the flip side, Lexus seemed to have finally gotten rid of two different front ends (bumpers) for the NX. The reg. vs. F-Sport. The last non-F-Sport model looked like someone drove it up a steep driveway and scraped off the lower half. Previous non-F-Sport RX models also had that same problem.

Old 01-24-22, 08:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If there is one glaring flaw with the NX's interior, it's the plain passenger side dashboard.
What do you think of the asymmetrical console-trim? To me, that is an eyesore....reminds me of a big meat-hook, particularly with that strong-contrast tan color standing out.

Old 01-24-22, 08:41 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The RX may also have a huge front overhang but it's mitigated by the rear overhang. The NX doesn't have much of a rear overhang and so its big nose is even more pronounced like a battering ram.

For some reason, Toyota/Lexus really love huge front overhangs because it's present even in their RWD vehicles like the LS and EV's like the RZ even though neither of them are design constrained to have a large front overhang like the FWD NX.
Old 01-24-22, 08:47 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

i could write a book about all the things i don't like about this nx, even though it's an improvement over the last one.

does anyone else find the proportions and design from this side view 'awkward' at the very least,
The Mazda CX5 makes me feel the same way too, although the NX is worse.

Old 01-24-22, 05:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you think of the asymmetrical console-trim? To me, that is an eyesore....reminds me of a big meat-hook, particularly with that strong-contrast tan color standing out.

I'm okay with it. Actually, I like it. The Camry does something similar, with a swoopy diagonal line that juts down, without a matching line on the other side. But really it is all subjective. It's funny how our eyes and mind see things differently. But thanks for asking.
Old 01-24-22, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm okay with it. Actually, I like it. The Camry does something similar, with a swoopy diagonal line that juts down, without a matching line on the other side. But really it is all subjective. It's funny how our eyes and mind see things differently. But thanks for asking.

Sometimes we all tend to get a little too worked up over minor things with vehicles...yes, me included. It's not the end of the world if a vehicle has asymmetric trim. I've found, over the years, that I've been able to adapt to a lot of automotive things that I once thought were out of the question. I can probably think of only four things on a vehicle that I probably would NEVER want to go back to.....carburators, breaker-point ignition, unsynchronized manual transmissions, and the old drum brakes without self-adjusters.
Old 01-24-22, 10:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Sometimes we all tend to get a little too worked up over minor things with vehicles...yes, me included. It's not the end of the world if a vehicle has asymmetric trim. I've found, over the years, that I've been able to adapt to a lot of automotive things that I once thought were out of the question. I can probably think of only four things on a vehicle that I probably would NEVER want to go back to.....carburators, breaker-point ignition, unsynchronized manual transmissions, and the old drum brakes without self-adjusters.
Those are all good points. It's wise to keep the important things into perspective! Also good to note no car is perfect.
Thanks again for the solid review. It is all taken seriously.
Old 01-25-22, 06:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I've found, over the years, that I've been able to adapt to a lot of automotive things that I once thought were out of the question.

conversely, i've found, over the years, that things i once thought were great, aren't so great or were great for their time, but simply pale compared to newer alternatives. not everything, but clearly cars are more reliable, safer, faster, more comfortable, and actually more affordable (for what you get) than ever.
Old 01-25-22, 07:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

conversely, i've found, over the years, that things i once thought were great, aren't so great or were great for their time, but simply pale compared to newer alternatives. not everything, but clearly cars are more reliable, safer, faster, more comfortable, and actually more affordable (for what you get) than ever.

The most comfortable cars I've ever seen, in terms of a pillowy ride and soft sofa-seats, were probably the big GM and Ford products of the late 60s, and, even more so, the early 70s....they were isolated cocoons of the first degree. But, unlike today's Mercedes S560 (probably today's cream of the crop in ride comfort), they wandered and wallowed, particularly the big Thunderbird and Continental Mark III / IV. Also very high on the list of all-time comfort area number of French models from Citroen and Peugeot....which we have not seen in the U.S. for decades. The French public, for decades, demanded riding/seating comfort in their vehicles, and, unlike the Germans, were not particularly concerned with handling.
Old 01-25-22, 09:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The most comfortable cars I've ever seeng.
Nothing ever rode as smooth and was as comfy as a body on frame Lincoln Town Car.
Old 01-25-22, 09:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I really like the new interior and the bulk of the powertrain choices. I think Lexus did a great job there. I'm a little less enthusiastic on the exterior design, which looks fabulous at some angles and awkward in others. I suspect it'll grow on me.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2022 Lexus NX350