Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2022 Lexus NX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-22, 09:37 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't see how you all can complain so much about the profile of the NX yet like the RX, they both look cut from the same cloth, and really, all CUV's in this class in general. They are all 90% similar shape to my eyes, with only the graphics differentiating the various brands.
Old 01-25-22, 09:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Saw my first NX in the wild today and on the road with other traffic. Meh! Not liking the styling. In pics or at the Lexus dealer I think it looks great.... but on the road I don't like it as much
Old 01-25-22, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Saw my first NX in the wild today and on the road with other traffic. Meh! Not liking the styling. In pics or at the Lexus dealer I think it looks great.... but on the road I don't like it as much
Didn't you tell us several weeks ago that you saw and/or had the chance to sit in one? Or was that under different circumstances?
Old 01-25-22, 03:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Didn't you tell us several weeks ago that you saw and/or had the chance to sit in one? Or was that under different circumstances?
Did not see it in the wild. Just at Lexus. I thought it looked good at Lexus but today the one I saw was meh as other cars were driving with it. Does that make sense? No….never sat in a new NX.
Old 01-26-22, 05:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Did not see it in the wild. Just at Lexus. I thought it looked good at Lexus but today the one I saw was meh as other cars were driving with it. Does that make sense? No….never sat in a new NX.
Yeah definitely makes sense. Sometimes when you see a car on the road it doesn't look as nice as at the dealer. But I also find sometimes this has to do with the trim level - like maybe the one at the dealer is loaded, with optional upsized wheels and tires, or a paint color that looks nicer under the dealer lighting than in daylight.
Old 01-26-22, 11:55 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
...or a paint color that looks nicer under the dealer lighting than in daylight.
Or, some vehicles look better, or worse, in a specific color.

For instance, I always liked (not loved) the SC430, but didn't like the way the tail lights integrated with the body. Then I saw a red one and its red tail lights blended in with body, so, it wasn't an issue, and I bought one!
Old 02-02-23, 02:32 PM
scharffnh
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pillowy rides

The most comfortable cars I've ever seen, in terms of a pillowy ride and soft sofa-seats, were probably the big GM and Ford products of the late 60s, and, even more so, the early 70s....they were isolated cocoons of the first degree. But, unlike today's Mercedes S560 (probably today's cream of the crop in ride comfort), they wandered and wallowed, particularly the big Thunderbird and Continental Mark III / IV. Also very high on the list of all-time comfort area number of French models from Citroen and Peugeot....which we have not seen in the U.S. for decades. The French public, for decades, demanded riding/seating comfort in their vehicles, and, unlike the Germans, were not particularly concerned with handling.
The demise of the Buick Park Avenue Ultra is what drove me toward Lexus. Now I wish it had been years earlier.
Old 02-03-23, 08:34 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the last gen NX better with the cool ninja taillights. But the NX is a hot seller. It'd been awesome to see what Lexus would've done to the NX back in 2000's era.

Last edited by xGS350x; 02-05-23 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-05-23, 09:27 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

MM -- thanks for these great reviews. I had a chance to see the NX 350 at the recent auto show. It left me torn between the previous version 20/21 years and the new generation. NX finally adds a heads up display option and a 'bigger' screen to interact with all things about your car/mapping/etc. Fuel and performance is a bit better, especially for the hybrid options to be more on par with the Honda CRV times.

The NX in this design finally completes the 'look' with a similar front look that all other lexus cars have with regard to the headlights. What I do like of the NX over the RX is you get a good vision to the front area of the car, where in contrast in the RX you're looking more outward. So many intriguing differences. Even how the door opens and closes. This area is certainly a different feel and could rub potential buyers else where with a pull to open electronics engagement. Re-inventing the door closing and opening seems unnecessary here.

Just one wish that NX would improve on their interior cargo space or rear legroom. It looks a generation or two behind a similar sibling in the form of 2023 Honda CRV.
Old 02-05-23, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
MM -- thanks for these great reviews. I had a chance to see the NX 350 at the recent auto show. It left me torn between the previous version 20/21 years and the new generation. NX finally adds a heads up display option and a 'bigger' screen to interact with all things about your car/mapping/etc. Fuel and performance is a bit better, especially for the hybrid options to be more on par with the Honda CRV times.

Glad you enjoyed this review .....it's actually over a year old, as leg-issues have kept me from doing many more of them recently.

The biggest difference between the new NX and the old one can probably be summed up in one simple sentence.....the new one actually drives more like something worthy of the Lexus nameplate. The old one took too many shortcuts in materials, cost-cutting, and refinement.
Old 02-06-23, 09:57 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad you enjoyed this review .....it's actually over a year old, as leg-issues have kept me from doing many more of them recently.

The biggest difference between the new NX and the old one can probably be summed up in one simple sentence.....the new one actually drives more like something worthy of the Lexus nameplate. The old one took too many shortcuts in materials, cost-cutting, and refinement.
The new NX models have been hard to find and have appreciated this thread being active lately. Sorry to hear leg issues have been holding you up from the usual fox trot and pedal to the metal moves. Hope 2023 turns out to be a better one for you!

Great point. I see what you mean how the previous NX taking so many shortcuts. The Lexus history with the NX line up starting with the 200t to 300/300h seemed like a replacement effort to offer something bigger than the CT200h it replaced (full disclaimer -- a CT200h is one of the vehicles we have). When 2018 came around for the NX, it offered carplay/android auto option if you had the premium display option. 2020-21 years seem to be the best final product of a 2015-2021 product cycle after 4 years of short-cuts. The newer redesigned 2022+ generation does away the shortcoming of having to deal with a trackpad or joystick like thing, and all Lexus vehicles trying to evolve with a more consistent touchscreen experience that is more 'in their' face and within reachable touch distance (versus on the dash and out of reach).

Time will tell whether Lexus has a solid bounce back sales year and beat last years supply constrained 2022 year. As is right now, the entire line up is priced out of reasonableness (eg to get the nicer NX options, you're bumping up against RX price tier or a well equipped used RX ) The $40k/50k/60k vehicle market space is very crowded right now, and forcing Lexus brand consumers into picking the UX/NX/RX/GX suv look they like and getting as much as they can afford. The NX does seem to be a better fit for the general SUV around town use than the RX, which is the bigger brother in every way possible. The newer RX does have an intimidating road presence of sorts. I also agree with you on how a higher trim Venza can serve as a better overall choice over NX introduction/stock offerings at $10k-15k less.

I sincerely hope Lexus/Toyota and the general auto industry does well this year! We may see some unique financing schemes and incentives to move the vehicles accumulating on the lots.