Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Arnold Schwarzeneggar involved in four-vehicle pileup in Los Angeles.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 08:45 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

i didn't watch the video. did they explain what happened? it's hard to deduce what happened from the thumbnails.

did the prius just run into the yukon, and the taycan rear ended it just for fun? how did the corolla get there?
Old 01-22-22, 09:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i didn't watch the video. did they explain what happened? it's hard to deduce what happened from the thumbnails.

did the prius just run into the yukon, and the taycan rear ended it just for fun? how did the corolla get there?

I agree it's difficult to deduce just what happened. This video tells part of it, but not all. The other two cars, including the Porsche, (apparantly) hit Arnold's Yukon from behind, after his big Yukon had hit the Prius.

Old 01-22-22, 11:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Hundreds of accidents happen every day in SoCal. This is just another one.
Old 01-23-22, 03:47 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

He doesn't look like the 6'2" he has always been listed at.
Old 01-23-22, 05:46 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

People get shorter as they age. And I agree with Fizzboy, it's just another accident
Old 01-23-22, 05:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the prius is facing the wrong way in the lane
Old 01-23-22, 06:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the prius is facing the wrong way in the lane
yeah schwarzenegger drove right over the top of it!

WHAT is with all these articles wording things as the CAR doing the crashing, and not Schwarzenegger's driving that caused the crash?

this is just one example:

Arnold Schwarzenegger’s GMC Yukon Crashes Into Prius and Porsche Cayenne, One Injured

The GMC Yukon belonging to the movie star hit a red Toyota Prius that was making a u-turn. After crashing into the Prius and rolling up onto its top, the SUV eventually ended up hitting a Porsche Cayenne and another nearby vehicle.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/a...ed-179778.html

i guess they don't want to be sued by schwarzenegger for blaming him.

pretty obvious he wasn't paying attention, didn't slow down at all, and mowed right over the top of the prius. poor woman. but no article i've seen actually tries to lay out what happened and who is obviously at fault (the terminator).
Old 01-23-22, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
He doesn't look like the 6'2" he has always been listed at.

Well, he's in his 70s now....no Spring Chicken. It's normal for bone and muscle-mass to shrink as one ages, although he was in such good shape to start with that has probably affected him only minimally. Plus, his income probably allows him some of the best health care available.
Old 01-23-22, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

WHAT is with all these articles wording things as the CAR doing the crashing, and not Schwarzenegger's driving that caused the crash?
Well, consider this: You yourself are always complaining about the super-high hoodlines on the big Chevy/GM trucks and SUVs. Perhaps the hood of that Yukon simply prevented him from seeing that much smaller Prius....and the GM camera-systems are usually blocked out when one is going more than about 6 MPH. Whether his Yukon had the collision-warning ad automatic-braking system, I can't say.

I'd agree.....if I can say this without getting overly-political, while no one is above the law, you don't want to mess with an Ex-State Governor (or the Terminator LOL) unless you know what you are doing.
Old 01-23-22, 08:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In general, I have not been impressed with the solidity of the last couple of generations of Prius (at least the ones since the 2Gen)....their sheet metal and hardware seems like cardboard. Not very much to protect the occupants. But, of course, that is a very large and heavy vehicle that hit it....all else equal, in a crash, the dinosaur usually wins and the mouse loses.
The Prius involved in this crash was a 2Gen that you have been impressed with.
Old 01-23-22, 08:42 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

A 3500lb that crash tests "perfect" is very good at withstanding that level of force, ram it into/by something 2x it's weight and it has to contend with more than double the force it had to during its test.

That's why a few months back you suddenly saw so many formerly "great" crash tested small and midsized cars/SUVs get B-pillar separations or other major failure. Crash tests against the barriers only show how the car handles the forces involved with a near pear car. Make the other party bigger and the story changes quickly
Old 01-23-22, 09:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mass is mass. The driver of the Prius is lucky the Yukon ramped up over top of it.
Old 01-23-22, 09:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

this is just one example:

pretty obvious he wasn't paying attention, didn't slow down at all, and mowed right over the top of the prius. poor woman. but no article i've seen actually tries to lay out what happened and who is obviously at fault (the terminator).
please explain why it is obvious he is to blame unless you see a video of how it exactly happened? What if the prius suddenly crossed into his lane and there is no way he can see and react promptly? It is also plausible the Prius driver can be at least partially at fault, no?
Why is it not prudent for media not to draw public conclusions before official investigations announce their findings?
Old 01-23-22, 10:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If anything the media would be biased to place blame on him...
Old 01-23-22, 11:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
please explain why it is obvious he is to blame unless you see a video of how it exactly happened? What if the prius suddenly crossed into his lane and there is no way he can see and react promptly? It is also plausible the Prius driver can be at least partially at fault, no?
Why is it not prudent for media not to draw public conclusions before official investigations announce their findings?
really?

... The [Yukon] ultimately made contact with a red Toyota Prius, causing the SUV to roll atop the vehicle before it rolled onto a Porsche Cayenne.
... Sources from local law enforcement tell the news outlet that the actor is allegedly at fault in the situation. They claim that the Expendables alum was turning left but that there was apparently a left turn arrow that was still red. The star has reportedly not been ticketed.
https://www.cinemablend.com/movies/a...i-car-accident

as a celebrity, he'll probably get off with no punishment, and settle everything quietly.

Quick Reply: Arnold Schwarzeneggar involved in four-vehicle pileup in Los Angeles.