Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Arnold Schwarzeneggar involved in four-vehicle pileup in Los Angeles.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-22, 07:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
how you can "lol" about someone injured by reckless driving is breathtaking. smh.
Dude, relax. I'm obviously not laughing at the injury, I'm laughing at the question about where the injury came from when her car had a big SUV on its roof.

Sheesh with the drama
Old 01-24-22, 07:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
"Mass is mass, Yukon is heavy and safe"...etc etc.

Why the change of tune all of a sudden, now the physics involving mass vis a vis' BOF SUVs are good? I thought big heavy SUVs were overkill and too much?
It depends on your perspective. if Arnold hadn't been in a big SUV likely nobody would have been injured here. So, if you're driving the big SUV sure that mass and safety of that is to your benefit. If you're driving a the Prius, then no its the opposite. That mass of the other person's vehicle is dangerous to you. For society, they are overkill and too much.
Old 01-24-22, 08:14 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
For society, they are overkill and too much.
You don't get to decide that. I could say an S-Class is overkill and too much, easily. E350 is perfectly luxurious enough luxury car.

I don't want to tow my boat with a crossover, neither do millions of other Americans. As just one example.
Old 01-24-22, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
How do you brake check a car head on?

I already pointed that out to Jill, tex. She understood it does not apply to the accident.
Old 01-24-22, 08:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

if Arnold hadn't been in a big SUV likely nobody would have been injured here.
One cannot really make that statement because it is hypothetical and guess-work, but I agree that a smaller, lighter SUV would have probably decreased the chances of the Prius driver being hurt....or the severity of the injury. It is true that small vehicles have much better accident-safety today than the once did (just think of the old air-cooled VWs, for instance). But, no matter how much safety-gear or advanced a design you have, when a dinosaur collides with a mouse, it's hard to discount the laws of physics.
Old 01-24-22, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
You don't get to decide that. I could say an S-Class is overkill and too much, easily. E350 is perfectly luxurious enough luxury car.

I don't want to tow my boat with a crossover, neither do millions of other Americans. As just one example.
First off, remember YOU brought the discussion here.

I'm not saying these vehicles should be banned, but I absolutely do get to have an opinion about what is too much, and huge vehicles like this driven around by one person when that vehicle is not necessary for the driver's needs make the roads less safe for other drivers...like this woman in the Prius. You have a right to buy a Suburban for your kid, you have a right to buy one for yourself to drive around in alone all the time, but I think those choices are irresponsible. Because people are out driving these huge vehicles when they don't need them others feel they have to buy huge vehicles to protect themselves and it becomes a vicious cycle.

An S Class is a heavy vehicle, but the damage that can be done to others with an S Class is way less than what can be done to others with a Suburban. I think consumers should have a little more concern about others than they do...I think thats true in many areas of American life.

There is no reason why one person needs to drive around in a 7,000 lb suburban that ramps up on top of smaller cars in an accident. They CAN do that, but that doesn't mean they should. You don't want to tow your boat with a crossover, but you have multiple cars. You don't have to drive your boat towing car when you aren't towing a boat. Arnold has multiple cars, he doesn't have to drive his Yukon XL when he's driving around alone.
Old 01-24-22, 08:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One cannot really make that statement because it is hypothetical and guess-work, but I agree that a smaller, lighter SUV would have probably decreased the chances of the Prius driver being hurt....or the severity of the injury. It is true that small vehicles have much better accident-safety today than the once did (just think of the old air-cooled VWs, for instance). But, no matter how much safety-gear or advanced a design you have, when a dinosaur collides with a mouse, it's hard to discount the laws of physics.
Its physics Mike. If he were in a car, his car wouldn't have ramped up on top of her car like his Yukon XL did. Less crash forces, an impact the way cars were designed to absorb impacts means a lower likelihood of injury.
Old 01-24-22, 08:30 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

^
You do realize the #1 selling vehicle in US for decades is F150 truck. Most on top 10 list are all huge pickup trucks. I think if anything most ppl drive huge Trucks/Suvs especially in fly over country where you hardly see a Prius, Lexus and for sure an Sclass!

I was down South this past summer in Jeep country and My BMW was a unicorn. It took 2-3 days before i saw another BMW or any German car. In NY, they are a dime a dozen lol. Its just so different in other places.
Old 01-24-22, 08:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Its physics Mike. If he were in a car, his car wouldn't have ramped up on top of her car like his Yukon XL did. Less crash forces, an impact the way cars were designed to absorb impacts means a lower likelihood of injury.

Partly physics, but partly also a mismatch in vehicle-heights. That's one reason why, years ago, the big semi tractor-trailer trucks all got those low-hanging steel bars on the back of the trailers.....to keep small cars from sliding underneath and getting their roofs (and sometimes occupant's heads) from being taken off.
Old 01-24-22, 08:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Partly physics, but partly also a mismatch in vehicle-heights.
I thought that was exactly the physics part?
Old 01-24-22, 09:20 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

First off, remember YOU brought the discussion here.
Meaning what exactly? Isn't this a discussion board?

I'm not saying these vehicles should be banned, but I absolutely do get to have an opinion about what is too much, and huge vehicles like this driven around by one person when that vehicle is not necessary for the driver's needs make the roads less safe for other drivers...like this woman in the Prius. You have a right to buy a Suburban for your kid, you have a right to buy one for yourself to drive around in alone all the time, but I think those choices are irresponsible. Because people are out driving these huge vehicles when they don't need them others feel they have to buy huge vehicles to protect themselves and it becomes a vicious cycle.
Again, you don't get to say what people "need" or not. Do you not understand that? Calling people irresponsible, etc. for driving trucks is rude and presumptuous. My loved ones are more important to me than the stranger on the interstate, anyone who says otherwise is lying. There's one of a thousand reasons I choose to drive a 6200lb vehicle.

An S Class is a heavy vehicle, but the damage that can be done to others with an S Class is way less than what can be done to others with a Suburban. I think consumers should have a little more concern about others than they do...I think thats true in many areas of American life.
Missed my point. I'm saying by your logic, you don't need a S-Class....what's the point? It is way overkill and too much, luxury wise. You don't need that. Even a C-class is plenty luxurious, and the back seat is pretty spacious so you can still chauffeur clients around. You don't really like me telling you how to live your life, do you? Because I have no right... IDC what you lease, your business your life. I have had to say "I'll do me, you do you" to you far too many times.

There is no reason why one person needs to drive around in a 7,000 lb suburban that ramps up on top of smaller cars in an accident.
The mom with 5 kids and husband who loves boats and camping might disagree with you. There's one of a million examples.

They CAN do that, but that doesn't mean they should. You don't want to tow your boat with a crossover, but you have multiple cars. You don't have to drive your boat towing car when you aren't towing a boat.
What? Are you telling others and me what to do again? You don't have the right to do that. So I can't or shouldn't drive my LX unless I'm towing something, is that what you're saying?

Arnold has multiple cars, he doesn't have to drive his Yukon XL when he's driving around alone.
So now you're telling Arnold Schwarzenegger how to live his life?

You are entitled to your opinion but to paint such broad generalizations that anyone who drives a heavy SUV is irresponsible is rather rude. And you have no business trying to tell adult Americans what to do.

Old 01-24-22, 11:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Sw, ajt take it to pm
Old 01-24-22, 11:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No argument between us here, I 100% agree that everybody has the right to drive whatever they want to drive. There's a difference though between what someone can do and what someone should do, but thats a decision everybody has to make for themselves.
Old 01-24-22, 11:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I thought that was exactly the physics part?
Perhaps (?)

I'm not a math-expert or a physicist, but, as I understood physics in an automotive sense, it is concerned more with impact-force and kinetic-energy than with uneven points-of-impact, which would probably have more to so with the effects of leverage then kinetic energy.

Might be an interesting question for someone in the thread with an advanced math or physics degree to address. I know JDR76, for instance, is an engineer.
Old 01-24-22, 11:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

ok folks, let's perhaps wait until we have more info on what actually happened.

Quick Reply: Arnold Schwarzeneggar involved in four-vehicle pileup in Los Angeles.