Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went to the DC Auto Show today...boy what a sad affair that was

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 08:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
As attendance declines. There will be a point where the DC show makes no sense,. Looks like that time has already come.
You're putting the cart before the horse, Jill. It's unclear if less-attendence and fewer automakers there are a long-term trend or simply pandemic-related. A number of manufacturers that skipped this show were, in fact, regular participants up till the pandemic.

Another factor is the skyrocketing crime rate in D.C., which, although it usually doesn't affect the show as much as it does other parts of D.C. life, may also be keeping some potential visitors away. It is reaching crisis levels.

https://wtop.com/local/2022/01/2021-...years-in-ages/

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-22 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-29-22, 08:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're putting the cart before the horse, Jill. It's unclear if less-attendence and fewer automakers there are a long-term trend of simply pandemic-related. A number of manufacturers that skipped this show were, in fact, regular participants up till the pandemic.
A medium show like DC will just get smaller. The brands that left have moved on to other ways of marketing.
Old 01-29-22, 08:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A medium show like DC will just get smaller. The brands that left have moved on to other ways of marketing.

D.C. hasn't been a medium show for quite some time. For a number of years, it was rated a Class B show.....more recently a Class A-Minus, compared to Detroit and Los Angeles, which are Class-A.
Old 01-29-22, 08:15 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Now, don't get me wrong a day at the auto show with my buddies followed up by a huge steak beats working...but man the DC Show was a let down this year, which is to be expected I suppose.

TONS of manufacturers missing, from GM only Chevy was there, and only trucks. No GMC, Buick or Cadillac. Toyota was there and had a huge display along with a bunch of new Tundras (which are great), Toyota was half the hall upstairs, they took the space they always used to have plus what was vacated from GM. Ford was there, and they did have an F150 Lightning. Stellantis had two Grand Wagoneers which were REALLY nice. They do feel like $100k. Had a Grand Cherokee and a Wrangler Unlimited. One Pacifica, a few Ram trucks and that was it.

Downstairs, what used to be called "luxury lane", the only luxury makes there were Lexus , Acura and Lincoln. No Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Genesis, Mini. No Volvo but Polestar was there. The downstairs was half as wide as it normally is.

Really, really disappointing show...

Here's the floor map. Note the comment at the bottom "Our map will change as more manufacturers sign up to attend"...well that didnt happen.

Now I don't have to feel bad on passing on the Philadelphia show this year -- totally not worth it.
Old 01-29-22, 08:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Now I don't have to feel bad on passing on the Philadelphia show this year -- totally not worth it.
Lots of brand absent at the Phila show?
Old 01-29-22, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's some information to help you decide, tex. The Philly show WILL require masks, but will be at least one step ahead of the D.C. show.....it will NOT require proof of vaccines, except for the food-court areas.

https://www.phillyautoshow.com/show-info/covid-19-info/
Old 01-29-22, 08:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

he Philly show WILL require masks, but will be at least one step ahead of the D.C. show.....it will NOT require proof of vaccines, except for the food-court areas.

/
Nice jab at the policies
Old 01-29-22, 08:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Lots of brand absent at the Phila show?
I dunno; it's pushed back to March. I'm not going this year regardless of the circumstances. I'm not risking catching Covid and spreading it to my wife, kids, coworkers and elderly in laws for a car show. People in and out of cars constantly - no thanks; not worth it. This will be the 1st Philly car show I skip since I moved here in '97, and the first one I voluntarily skip since '92 (I went every year in NY as a kid, and when I lived there from '92 -'97).
Old 01-29-22, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nice jab at the policies

That probably kept a lot of people away from the D.C. show this year. Also the fear that diseases can circulate through the air-filtration systems in some Convention Centers.
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I dunno; it's pushed back to March. I'm not going this year regardless of the circumstances. I'm not risking catching Covid and spreading it to my wife, kids, coworkers and elderly in laws for a car show. People in and out of cars constantly - no thanks; not worth it. This will be the 1st Philly car show I skip since I moved here in '97, and the first one I voluntarily skip since '92 (I went every year in NY as a kid, and when I lived there from '92 -'97).
Same here. Toronto show was closed 2 years back to back.
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Here's some information to help you decide, tex. The Philly show WILL require masks, but will be at least one step ahead of the D.C. show.....it will NOT require proof of vaccines, except for the food-court areas.

https://www.phillyautoshow.com/show-info/covid-19-info/
Odd - that seems contrary to the City of Philadelphia regulations. Doesn't matter to me - I do enjoy the car show, but I'm taking a pass this year no matter what.
Old 01-29-22, 08:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Nice jab at the policies
Yeah - let's get this thread closed for political posts. Good idea!
Old 01-29-22, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Odd - that seems contrary to the City of Philadelphia regulations. Doesn't matter to me - I do enjoy the car show, but I'm taking a pass this year no matter what.

Totally respect your decision. I made the same one myself....but for somewhat different reasons.
Old 01-29-22, 08:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree. The annual auto shows in general are declining in importance as evidenced by the number of brands that no longer have displays at most of them. This trend began even before the effects of covid. Most of the shows probably still have decent attendance but the manufactures are spending their marketing dollars elsewhere.
Old 01-29-22, 08:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Also the fear that diseases can circulate through the air-filtration systems in some Convention Centers.
Does a disease actually circulate in the air?

I would have gone this year. Oh well.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. The annual auto shows in general are declining in importance as evidenced by the number of brands that no longer have displays at most of them. This trend began even before the effects of covid. Most of the shows probably still have decent attendance but the manufactures are spending their marketing dollars elsewhere.
CES is the BIG thing now for some brands. Only the big big brands will attend a smaller show like DC or other regional shows. The biggest shows will still do ok. But there are just a few left.

Toronto is more international than domestic as many of the brands have reps from overseas. Lexus shows up with their LC500 from Europe the last little while.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-29-22 at 08:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Went to the DC Auto Show today...boy what a sad affair that was