Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went to the DC Auto Show today...boy what a sad affair that was

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 08:39 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 445 Likes on 367 Posts

That’s a real shame. I went to a local auto show in the fall and it wasn’t quite this bad. Considering how big of an event this is, it’s crazy to see so few manufacturers show up.
Old 01-29-22, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Does a disease actually circulate in the air?
Remember Legionnaire's disease, which was traced to the American Legion Convention right there, in Philadelphia, to the building's air-filtration system? There are a number of similar examples, but that is perhaps the most well-known one.

Old 01-29-22, 08:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That probably kept a lot of people away from the D.C. show this year. Also the fear that diseases can circulate through the air-filtration systems in some Convention Centers.
Over 95% of eligible people in DC are vaccinated, over 98% of eligible people in Montgomery County are so I don't think the vaccine mandate had anything to do with attendance. Fear of getting sick plays a much larger role, that and the show not being really advertised well this year, having been not held last year. I think we're seeing the end of the show unfortunately, once companies miss a year they don't seem to return in my experience.

We had dinner at Joe's Stone Crab and Steak House afterwards, DC requires vaccine proof to dine in restaurants...and the restaurant was full. Like I said, the vast vast majority of people are vaccinated so if anything the mandate helps attendance,
Old 01-29-22, 08:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

We had dinner at Joe's Stone Crab and Steak House afterwards, DC requires vaccine proof to dine in restaurants...and the restaurant was full. Like I said, the vast vast majority of people are vaccinated so if anything the mandate helps attendance,
You know....You really are an .... I am SO JELLY right now Just looked up that restaurant and it looks SO GOOD.

What did you have? I just have to know
Old 01-29-22, 08:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Last year the Chicago Auto Show ran in July vs. the normal February timing. 1/2 of it was inside in part of an exhibition hall and 1/2 outside. In the evening they had music, I think a beer garden and food trucks etc. in addition to some vehicles. I didn't go so I'm not really sure how it was received or attended but it helped to keep the crowds thinned out and offered something different for those attending. This year it's back to February and inside.
Old 01-29-22, 08:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Last year the Chicago Auto Show ran in July vs. the normal February timing. 1/2 of it was inside in part of an exhibition hall and 1/2 outside. In the evening they had music, I think a beer garden and food trucks etc. in addition to some vehicles. I didn't go so I'm not really sure how it was received or attended but it helped to keep the crowds thinned out and offered something different for those attending. This year it's back to February and inside.
Toyota usually goes all truck wild at the Chicago Show. I wonder if they will do it this year. Sequoia debuted before the show.
Old 01-29-22, 08:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You know....You really are an .... I am SO JELLY right now Just looked up that restaurant and it looks SO GOOD.

What did you have? I just have to know
Haha, I hadn't been there in a while, its a great place. I had stone crab claws and two massive grilled prawns to start, and the 24 ounce dry aged bone in ribeye for dinner, we had this amazing chocolate pie for dessert...great meal...

My assistant was with us who doesn't eat beef or seafood, and he had a roasted chicken that he said was really good too. My partner had the same appetizers and he had the dry aged strip steak.
Old 01-29-22, 08:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota usually goes all truck wild at the Chicago Show. I wonder if they will do it this year. Sequoia debuted before the show.
Toyota had so much space in DC they had their whole lineup, cars and all, also had a couple of concepts, a personal mobility section that had wheelchairs...
Old 01-29-22, 08:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Haha, I hadn't been there in a while, its a great place. I had stone crab claws and two massive grilled prawns to start, and the 24 ounce dry aged bone in ribeye for dinner, we had this amazing chocolate pie for dessert...great meal...

My assistant was with us who doesn't eat beef or seafood, and he had a roasted chicken that he said was really good too. My partner had the same appetizers and he had the dry aged strip steak.
Ahhh.. the life
Old 01-29-22, 08:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota had so much space in DC they had their whole lineup, cars and all, also had a couple of concepts, a personal mobility section that had wheelchairs...
Toyota Mirai too?
Old 01-29-22, 09:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ahhh.. the life
Thats how we roll LOL

Toyota Mirai too?
No Mirai, but they had the BZ4X EV:

They also had a car with a center driving seat that I can't remember what it was called. They even had the Supra NASCAR...
Old 01-29-22, 09:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thats how we roll LOL
Same here

They also had a car with a center driving seat that I can't remember what it was called. They even had the Supra NASCAR...
Nice. You like it?

We have the Mirai here every year. Only Toyota they never have at the show is the Sequoia
Old 01-29-22, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nice. You like it?
Yeah it was pretty good looking in person...
Old 01-29-22, 09:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I also got to sit in the new Hyundai Ioniq which was quirkier than it should be, but comfortable and good looking.
Old 01-29-22, 09:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I also got to sit in the new Hyundai Ioniq which was quirkier than it should be, but comfortable and good looking.
Nice looking for sure. I am not feeling the interior layout.

Quick Reply: Went to the DC Auto Show today...boy what a sad affair that was