Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went to the DC Auto Show today...boy what a sad affair that was

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 10:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Just minor tweaks, most improved is the rear IMO and the new infotainment screen

Too bad no Jeep Wagoneer at the show.
Old 01-29-22, 10:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't think there is any question a vaccine mandate CAN reduce attendance to things like this, but it depends on where the event is located and what % of the local population who would attend would be unable to go or unwilling to go because of the mandate. Here, almost everybody is vaccinated, so I don't think it has any impact.

If we were talking about a car show in an area where 50% or less are vaccinated, absolutely that would impact attendance.
I think more people would go in DC if there were a passport strategy.

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm not a doc, but I don't think that "virus becomes a disease" thing is accurate.
Neither am I . One does not catch AIDS...they acquire HIV ....that turns into AIDS. I always thought that was for all diseases that are passed on somehow via air. Guess I am incorrect. I just hate misinformation
Old 01-29-22, 11:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Tweaks to the headlights and rear lights are really the bulk of it.

Pre refresh:

Pre refresh does not look as good with the head lights.
Old 01-29-22, 11:06 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Just minor tweaks, most improved is the rear IMO and the new infotainment screen

Only thing I don't like are those turbine looking wheels. Otherwise it's good.

Originally Posted by tex2670
I do enjoy the car show, but I'm taking a pass this year no matter what.
tex, I've been to the Philly show many times. It was never anything special - just ok. I always wanted to go a Detroit/LA major show.

Old 01-29-22, 11:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Haha, yep! No RVs, but they had a neat classic car section to take up space which was fun.
Old 01-29-22, 12:24 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Neither am I . One does not catch AIDS...they acquire HIV ....that turns into AIDS. I always thought that was for all diseases that are passed on somehow via air. Guess I am incorrect. I just hate misinformation
You are right. HIV is a virus and AIDS is a disease. HIV is transmitted via blood and unprotected s** contact. Having HIV positive does not mean one has AIDS. Being infected with HIV will affect number of CD4 and T cells in our body. These are to help us fight off infection caused by HIV. When they are low enough, the infected person now has AIDS, a disease. Similarly you acquire SARS-CoV-2, a virus. If you develop symptoms, you have COVID-19. COVID-19 is Coronavirus Disease 2019.
Old 01-29-22, 12:39 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't see that as politics. It is simply a policy for show-admission....and in line with at least part of the topic of the thread.
let’s leave all the politics and policy and Covid / hiv discussion out of this thread please. Keep it on the car show
Old 01-29-22, 01:26 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1

tex, I've been to the Philly show many times. It was never anything special - just ok. I always wanted to go a Detroit/LA major show.
I know what it is - I went 22 years straight - but I still enjoy it. YMMV.
Old 01-30-22, 08:48 AM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Another factor here is probably lack of inventory. I live in philly and the Ford dealer I use to work for would send new vehicles off the lot down to the philly auto show. With inventory levels so low could see that being part of the reason as well. Not to mention the cars get so beat up in the time they are there (stains etc).
Old 01-30-22, 06:40 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a definite lack of inventory. and shame that many of the Europeans and Genesis opted out. I actually led a number of the VIP tours there this weekend, there was still a lot of interest from the attendees around the EVs that were on display. bZ4X/Solterra twins, Nissan Ariya, Ioniq 5 and EV6, Mustang Mach-E, Polestars, F-150 Lightning. During the press/policy day the Silverado EV was also present and on the floor, but it was gone by most of the public days.

Toyota did oddly have a Mirai on the show floor and another as part of the great Art of Motion exhibit. Last I checked the closest retail hydrogen station was in Connecticut.

Was it as big as the DC show has been in the past? No. But it was still great to see the level of interest and activity around the show this weekend.
Old 01-30-22, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Toyota did oddly have a Mirai on the show floor and another as part of the great Art of Motion exhibit. Last I checked the closest retail hydrogen station was in Connecticut.
Toyota has brought Mirais to the D.C. show in the past. I agree it is questionable, given the lack of hydrogen stations in this area. Jill is correct, however (and I agree with her) that a lot more attention should be given to both hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles AND refueling-stations. A lot of people simply are not going to be able to easily recharge a BEV.

Was it as big as the DC show has been in the past? No. But it was still great to see the level of interest and activity around the show this weekend.
Prior to the last few years (and the pandemic, which suppressed things) the D.C. show had grown significantly. (partly reflecting the huge number of new vehicles sold here). For a while, the D.C. show had reached that of A-minus status, or a borderline A / B-class. The biggest shows in the U.S. (Detroit and L.A.) are, of course, a solid A. The Detroit show, though, is losing influence to L.A., now what the Detroit show is five months later (in June) than the old January date. I don't blame them, though, to some extent, for moving it to warmer weather.....Detroit in January can be miserable.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-30-22 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-30-22, 06:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Toyota has brought Mirais to the D.C. show in the past. I agree it is questionable, given the lack of hydrogen stations in this area. Jill is correct, however (and I agree with her) that a lot more attention should be given to both hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles AND refueling-stations. A lot of people simply are not going to be able to easily recharge a BEV.
Tesla built their own charging network from scratch Toyota can do that with hydrogen stations.
Old 01-30-22, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla built their own charging network from scratch Toyota can do that with hydrogen stations.

No arguments there....and let's see some action.
Old 01-30-22, 07:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No arguments there....and let's see some action.
Makes no sense for a manufacturer to build either a EV network or hydrogen station.
Old 01-30-22, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Makes no sense for a manufacturer to build either a EV network or hydrogen station.
LeX2K has a point, though....if Tesla can do it on their budget, here is little or no reason why Toyota can't do it on their equally-big (if not larger) budget. These are not Ma-and-Pa business, but among the world's richest corporations.

Quick Reply: Went to the DC Auto Show today...boy what a sad affair that was