Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Care Nut on why most people need 5k mile or 6 month oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-22, 12:15 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
That Camry has the AZ. Not the ARs. ARs are solid engines still used today.
This car is a 2011 Camry

A 2.5 L version of the AR family, first released in the RAV4 in the U.S. and Canada in 2008.[3] This engine also replaced the 2AZ-FE in the U.S. and Canada Camry in early 2009, giving 11% better fuel economy.

XV40 Camrys produced in the United States from January 2009 saw the 2.4-liter
2AZ-FE powerplant replaced by the 2.5-liter 2AR-FE engine and with it bringing new six-speed manual and automatic transmissions.

Old 02-01-22, 12:27 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Of course there is otherwise there would be zero blow by which happens even on a low mileage engine.
Its also how leak down and compression test is done.

Also the Toyota engines are not the only ones suffering from high oil consumption of late. Honda has had extensions of warranty and Nissan also due to this. Honda in fact has this problem on their V6 and 4cyl too, but only put a shorter extension on the warranty than Toyota did for their engines.

Last edited by jgscott; 02-01-22 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-01-22, 12:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

I'd love to know why Toyota after many years of making perfectly reliable engines that don't burn oil decided they would screw up the ring and piston design. The fix was to go back to what they were doing before. Bizarre.
Old 02-01-22, 12:47 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

I'd love to know why Toyota after many years of making perfectly reliable engines that don't burn oil decided they would screw up the ring and piston design. The fix was to go back to what they were doing before. Bizarre.
They started making engines with direct injection only in the mid 2000s for better fuel efficiency and increased power. All the car companies started adding DI around 2005 and they've all had problems with oil burning and carbon buildup - BMW, Audi, Hyundai, Kia, GM etc. That's why Toyota switched to both port injection and DI for the 3.5L V6 2GR-FE. Adding the port injection keeps carbon from building up on the valves. That's why you hardly ever hear about oil burning or carbon buildup in the 4GS.
Old 02-01-22, 10:48 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by jeverett72
This car is a 2011 Camry

A 2.5 L version of the AR family, first released in the RAV4 in the U.S. and Canada in 2008.[3] This engine also replaced the 2AZ-FE in the U.S. and Canada Camry in early 2009, giving 11% better fuel economy.

XV40 Camrys produced in the United States from January 2009 saw the 2.4-liter
2AZ-FE powerplant replaced by the 2.5-liter 2AR-FE engine and with it bringing new six-speed manual and automatic transmissions.
Good call. That is confusing and I realised that’s only for US manufactured Camrys.

The Japan manufactured Camrys only started using 2AR from the 2012 model year (2011 Sep).

Maybe the US was chosen to be the early adopters or testing ground for the 2AR.

Last edited by 703; 02-01-22 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-01-22, 10:52 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

The early 2AZ engines were absolutely fine. Until they changed to low friction piston rings half way through for 1% better fuel economy. Now people are sending their cars to the junk yard as it’s too expensive to fix the oil consumption.

So much for saving the environment.
Old 02-01-22, 11:46 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by jeverett72
They started making engines with direct injection only in the mid 2000s for better fuel efficiency and increased power. All the car companies started adding DI around 2005 and they've all had problems with oil burning and carbon buildup - BMW, Audi, Hyundai, Kia, GM etc. That's why Toyota switched to both port injection and DI for the 3.5L V6 2GR-FE. Adding the port injection keeps carbon from building up on the valves. That's why you hardly ever hear about oil burning or carbon buildup in the 4GS.
It started before that I've fixed a few 1ZZ-FE's not my favourite engine but it's super easy to fix all I replace is rings, drill holes in the ring lands and of course replace a few gaskets.
Originally Posted by 703
The early 2AZ engines were absolutely fine. Until they changed to low friction piston rings half way through for 1% better fuel economy. Now people are sending their cars to the junk yard as it’s too expensive to fix the oil consumption.

So much for saving the environment.
This sums it up. Plus imagine the amount of pollution these engines were belching out.
Old 02-02-22, 08:13 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Were these Toyota 10k oil change service recommendations?
Old 02-02-22, 02:20 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
Were these Toyota 10k oil change service recommendations?
Yes, but they also note that if you are doing lots of short trips around town where the engine doesn't get to full operating temp, or idling in heavy stop and go traffic then they recommend 5k changes. 10k should be only for people who drive mostly highway miles at consistent speeds.
Old 02-05-22, 06:46 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a BMW 330i with sport package for over 200,000 miles. Oil change intervals were 15,000 miles which i adhered to and sometimes delayed by a couple of thousand miles. I had no engine issues throughout ownership. I did however, use a about 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil in between changes. I was told by BMW service this was within normal limits. I followed the 10000 interval for the IS350 I had without any issues. I followed the same schedule with my Nissan Maxima using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil for over 210,000 miles. I have known many people who run over the manufacturers recommended schedule without any engine issues. The manufacturers perform reliability testing to determine the oil change interval. I would not waste money changing the oil early.
Old 02-05-22, 08:28 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Savjam
I had a BMW 330i with sport package for over 200,000 miles. Oil change intervals were 15,000 miles which i adhered to and sometimes delayed by a couple of thousand miles. I had no engine issues throughout ownership. I did however, use a about 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil in between changes. I was told by BMW service this was within normal limits. I followed the 10000 interval for the IS350 I had without any issues. I followed the same schedule with my Nissan Maxima using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil for over 210,000 miles. I have known many people who run over the manufacturers recommended schedule without any engine issues. The manufacturers perform reliability testing to determine the oil change interval. I would not waste money changing the oil early.
A engine that did not use 1 to 1.5 quarts when new is in fact a engine problem of some sort still running or not. I have said it many times. You would need a leak down and compression test and bore scope to know if you had a problem vs a car with shorter oil change interval performed like for like mileage and trips. The manufacturers are selling low Ownership maintenance cost is all. Only to the Brand new car buyer.

You can't look at the outside of a engine to tell you have no issues. Its was still running yes. Performing to specs? Unknown without as you mentioned the manufacturer doing testing on your engine at a said mileage. They are not performing compression/leakdown/bore scope and providing the data findings when you go for a oil change. Oil is subject to contamination. That's like saying you drove a trip 2000 miles with no problems but never looked at the tires that only had 1.5/32's of thread left when you started. I agree some change oil too early, some way too late. You can do what you want. The facts still remain.
Old 02-06-22, 01:38 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

5K-6K or 1 year OCI with quality synthetic; swap the filter every other service.
I respect and take care of my tools; my cars are pretty expensive tools.

I have 2 cars, the Tundra and TSX, with over 200K; neither goes through a drop between serivces.
Old 02-08-22, 10:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Depends on the vehicle and what oil you want to use. I used to run 7,500 intervals on my RX300, but not 10,000 intervals on my past CT and the one I have now. I probably would not go above that given mileage I drive yearly.
Old 02-08-22, 04:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,188 Likes on 884 Posts

They can't, modern emissions require a tighter ring pack design with very little space from piston top to first ring and low tension oil rings that are HIGHLY sensitive to buildup and binding. The low tension rings seizing can be avoided by cleaning, often oil changes, and actually using the engine hard from time to time.

My 07 460, and 15 A8 both are infamous for eating oil and both of them did at first. The 07 barely, about 1/4 of the dipstick per 1000 and the German ate a QT per 1000, after some sustained 125mph and a few dozen full limiter runs both stopped using any. The 460 has gone a change now with zero change and the A8 is up to two without oil use.

If it's bad enough you can send seafoam in directly to the chambers by removing the plugs and saturating the chambers and turning the engine by hand every 5-6 hours. Then send some through the intake to finish it off once you start it. I do it often for BMW engines
Old 02-08-22, 04:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,188 Likes on 884 Posts

It started before that I've fixed a few 1ZZ-FE's not my favourite engine but it's super easy to fix all I replace is rings, drill holes in the ring lands and of course replace a few gaskets.

This sums it up. Plus imagine the amount of pollution these engines were belching out.
Yeah, it's ironic to the extreme. 1% MPG again for a hell of a lot more hydrocarbon emission and new car production emissions

Quick Reply: Car Care Nut on why most people need 5k mile or 6 month oil changes