Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Care Nut on why most people need 5k mile or 6 month oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-22, 04:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
id say a reliable beater car nowadays is worth a lot more than $1500 + $1500. Its a known quantity since its been in your care otherwise its a total crapshoot of what else is in the used market.
Yep, especially if its one owner and has been properly maintained and repaired with genuine parts during its lifetime.
Old 02-21-22, 04:38 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The failures are most often due to aftermarket parts being installed by indy shop selling unsuspecting customers that TB job at recommended interval. More bad than good.
Sounds about right. When I do my TB jobs, I only used OEM parts sourced from the dealer. I know a guy who sourced OEM TB job parts from elsewhere, and they turned out to be counterfeit! Because of the critical nature of the TB and TB train, and because there is so much labor involved in a TB job, it doesn't make sense to use any sort of inferior parts.
Old 02-21-22, 04:40 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Yep, especially if its one owner and has been properly maintained and repaired with genuine parts during its lifetime.
theres a LOT of cars in just crap condition trying to be passed off in this market, a known quantity reliable car is worth a lot more than before
Old 02-21-22, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I won't sell the GMC for the same reason. But you said all that ES300/330 has wrong are minor oil leaks IIRC which you also said isn't "engine trouble" which I pretty much agree with in this case and vehicle at least. Certainly not worth spending the money to fix.
Nope, and it works fine so why mess with it. Sometimes on something that old once you start repairing things you just lead yourself down a bad path.

but you really think only 1 in 20 LS430s have a second TB job done???
Oh yeah. Lets put it this way, I never did the TB on the LS400 or the LS430. Never even the first time. The LS400 had 165,000 miles when it was traded on the LS430 on the original belt and the LS430 had like 140k on it, maybe 130k when my dad died and we sold it. Original belt. I did do the belt on the ES300, but only the first belt at 90k miles and maybe 4 years, it has 225K on it now so that belt is 15 years old with 135k miles on it. No intention of replacing it.

At 103k I think? I'm right at 150k on the dot just about right now. The time interval is complete BS for one that sits in a climate controlled garage especially, but I am on my last year. Maybe after 20 years, okay. Toyota designed these TBs for 180k and split it in half to be safe. What does it really matter though? I know for a fact I'll be going well past 90k on this one, probably 120k. My engine isn't ever gonna blow, I'd bet my house on it.
But you are still out of schedule on it, and if it were to snap people would wag their finger at you about it. Thats the point, thats a maintenance item very few people do.

Originally Posted by Och
The failures are most often due to aftermarket parts being installed by indy shop selling unsuspecting customers that TB job at recommended interval. More bad than good.
Your description of how they end is spot on.

id say a reliable beater car nowadays is worth a lot more than $1500 + $1500. Its a known quantity since its been in your care otherwise its a total crapshoot of what else is in the used market.
It depends on whether you would just replace it with a car that was $3,000. I would replace it with a brand new car. I would never buy a $3,000 car.
Old 02-21-22, 05:05 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

youre not going to get anything good in this market for $3k. A good running car pre covid has always stuck around $4-5k
Old 02-21-22, 05:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

youre not going to get anything good in this market for $3k. A good running car pre covid has always stuck around $4-5k
I don't disagree, I still wouldn't put $1,500 for a timing belt into a car worth $1,500...or $3,000 or even $4,000 though. Safety issues sure, but preventative maintenance like a timing belt? No.
Old 02-21-22, 05:16 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,224 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My Mom drives it, and she lives about 3 minutes from me. I still maintain it for her. I have tried and tried and tried to get her to replace it, but she doesn't drive much and she just refuses to spend the money. its been a great car, but I would rather she have something much newer and more reliable.

I will tell you what, I got my $35,000 out of that car!

I think you are vastly overestimating that lol. Most of the old LS430s running around are wrung out. Sure there are a few that people keep low mileage who keep them up well, but they are the minority not the majority.

Even people that keep them up well aren't likely replacing the timing belts. Here's a question, when did YOU replace your timing belt last? I bet its overdue.
I would say so lol! Nice, well at least she likes it and it's serving well I guess.

I did my belt when I bought my car at 205k since I didn't trust the sticker claiming it was done at 186k, it was done but I still replaced the water pump, idler, tensioner and cam/crank seals since I didn't trust the no-name pump and OE idler/tensioner (they were fine though when I had them off and measured them) and the latter since the cam seal was wet and the crank seal takes 5 min and costs $15
Old 02-21-22, 05:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I even tried to buy her a new car. I even offered to buy her a new ES! No dice. Its not that she likes it per-se, but she sees no value in replacing it since she hardly drives.

For me, I would rather her be in something that will always start at 75 years old.
Old 02-21-22, 05:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,224 Likes on 910 Posts

I even tried to buy her a new car. I even offered to buy her a new ES! No dice. Its not that she likes it per-se, but she sees no value in replacing it since she hardly drives.

For me, I would rather her be in something that will always start at 75 years old.
Okay that's really odd she won't take a new one of those were your terms, I totally agree the car should be mindlessly reliable. My grandfather (83, and still climbing trees for avocados) INSISTED on keeping a 1995&1/2 Nissan Maxima forever, every time I would visit it would need something. A starter, a rad, a crank sensor, an injector (all 6 in the end...) coils etc. Mind you he has an 04 Odyssey that he kept perfect since new and I know for a fact is actually perfect, but NO he also has to keep the stupid Nissan even after I found him a perfect LS430. I finally got him to get rid of it late last year.

There was an incident with my aunt/his daughter that set me off completely in 2019 that may entertain you. I'll pm the story if you want but it directly relates to the two cars. Anyway I do get having relatives that just hold on to cars for no good reason. At least you are very close by to help if needed, I'm 800 miles away
Old 02-21-22, 05:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Okay that's really odd she won't take a new one of those were your terms, I totally agree the car should be mindlessly reliable. My grandfather (83, and still climbing trees for avocados) INSISTED on keeping a 1995&1/2 Nissan Maxima forever, every time I would visit it would need something. A starter, a rad, a crank sensor, an injector (all 6 in the end...) coils etc. Mind you he has an 04 Odyssey that he kept perfect since new and I know for a fact is actually perfect, but NO he also has to keep the stupid Nissan even after I found him a perfect LS430. I finally got him to get rid of it late last year.

There was an incident with my aunt/his daughter that set me off completely in 2019 that may entertain you. I'll pm the story if you want but it directly relates to the two cars. Anyway I do get having relatives that just hold on to cars for no good reason. At least you are very close by to help if needed, I'm 800 miles away
People are stubborn...especially older people.

Yeah its fine when I'm here, but we travel a lot. I've had a couple of situations where it wouldn't start or something like that and we were away and she had to wait on a tow truck and be without a car. Luckily, the only place its ever left her stranded is at home. You know how it is with old cars that sit around a lot, even if they are well maintained. Usually its just a dead battery and AAA jumps it and its fine, but once it was the starter, and once it was the alternator and both times it had to be towed to my mechanic.
Old 02-21-22, 07:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Nope, and it works fine so why mess with it. Sometimes on something that old once you start repairing things you just lead yourself down a bad path.
Oh yeah, you just let fate take over at that point. How much does she drive, miles per year, that ES? Does she just piddle around?

Oh yeah. Lets put it this way, I never did the TB on the LS400 or the LS430. Never even the first time. The LS400 had 165,000 miles when it was traded on the LS430 on the original belt and the LS430 had like 140k on it, maybe 130k when my dad died and we sold it. Original belt..
Well you saved some money so that's good. But wouldn't you have done it if you decided to keep those cars? I bet the second owners of them changed them or dealer changed anyway, so that would be 2 belt changes just different owners.

Fun trivia on old LS400s with non-interference: The belts would snap and the owner would assume the engine junked and discard. People would pick up second hand and replace the belt and have a great car.

Old 02-21-22, 07:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

She doesn’t drive much. Maybe 1,500 miles a year. She drives to our house, over to see my Grandmother which is maybe 4 miles, and out to see some clients here or there, but that’s it.

As to would I have changed them if I kept them, I never would have kept them. They were well over 100k miles and never anything I would have kept.
Old 02-22-22, 04:01 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

She doesn’t drive much. Maybe 1,500 miles a year. She drives to our house, over to see my Grandmother which is maybe 4 miles, and out to see some clients here or there, but that’s it.

As to would I have changed them if I kept them, I never would have kept them. They were well over 100k miles and never anything I would have kept.
That’s nothing, even less than my mom drives. Sounds like that 3.3 of hers will be working until it seizes. What does she do about her garage floor? Cardboard?

And right, you never would have kept your old LSs, but based on how I know you keep cars I guarantee the dealer changed the TBs before they re-sold them. They don’t go to the crusher when you get rid of them just because you don’t care for old cars with high miles. The way you keep your cars I’m sure they were gone fast once put up for sale.
Old 02-22-22, 01:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
That’s nothing, even less than my mom drives. Sounds like that 3.3 of hers will be working until it seizes. What does she do about her garage floor? Cardboard?

And right, you never would have kept your old LSs, but based on how I know you keep cars I guarantee the dealer changed the TBs before they re-sold them. They don’t go to the crusher when you get rid of them just because you don’t care for old cars with high miles. The way you keep your cars I’m sure they were gone fast once put up for sale.
She parks outside in her condo parking lot. None of the leaks actually leak on the ground, they are just seeping around seals.

Depends on who sold those LSs, the 04 was sold to Carmax...they were higher mileage I would imagine they went to auction.
Old 02-22-22, 02:00 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

She parks outside in her condo parking lot. None of the leaks actually leak on the ground, they are just seeping around seals.

Depends on who sold those LSs, the 04 was sold to Carmax...they were higher mileage I would imagine they went to auction.
Oh I doubt it. 165k is nothing on an LS430 I'm sure it was quickly resold, especially how you keep your cars. I am a little surprised that someone that (now, at least) is as meticulous as you went almost double over the miles on a necessary maintenance item that could have resulted in a destroyed engine if it snapped. I take things to the limit, no way in hell I'd go 165k. 120-130, sure.

BTW seeping around seals to me at least isn't even a real oil leak lol, it needs to touch the ground. She's got plenty of time left with that ES.

Quick Reply: Car Care Nut on why most people need 5k mile or 6 month oil changes