Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Care Nut on why most people need 5k mile or 6 month oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 10:40 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Car Care Nut on why most people need 5k mile or 6 month oil changes

So if you have not heard of this guy he's a Toyota Master Technician (more experienced and certified than a regular technician) at a Toyota dealer in Chicago. In this video he explains how and why oil consumption happens in modern engines and why the way to prevent that is with religious 5k mile or 6 month oil changes. Especially if you drive mostly short trips where the engine doesn't reach full operating temp, or idle your car a lot or are frequently in stop and go traffic. Also why oil that sits in the engine for even 1 year or 2 is a cause of oil consumption.

Old 02-01-22, 03:26 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Does this apply to all Toyota engines? In the video description he lists numerous 4 cylinder engines.

The 2GR-FE in my previous '07 Camry V6 never burned oil. However, my mothers 4 cylinder Camry of the same year would have no oil on the dipstick after 4,000 miles.

Not to mention we use synthetic in our cars so I just can't see a reason. I'm curious.
Old 02-01-22, 03:45 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Even experts give bad advice. I watched that video recently and he does not come across to me as credible. What he says makes sense, but I know a lot of folks who treat their cars worse who do not have an experience even close to what his "relative" has experienced.
Old 02-01-22, 06:18 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Things I see wrong right off the bat.

1) The top 2 rings are compression and don't deal with much oil. What oil they do encounter is for lubrication and cooling. The oil rings, the very bottom rings don't need a lot of tension because they are scraping excess oil off the cylinder but not all as the cylinder/piston interface needs lubrication.

2) There is no compression on the bottom of the piston to push the oil rings out. Granted, I've not torn a modern engine down but if there are holes in the oil ring land, it is usually to drain the oil off the cylinder faster. Compression is on the top of the piston.

I stopped watching after that.
Old 02-01-22, 06:29 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Things I see wrong right off the bat.

1) The top 2 rings are compression and don't deal with much oil. What oil they do encounter is for lubrication and cooling. The oil rings, the very bottom rings don't need a lot of tension because they are scraping excess oil off the cylinder but not all as the cylinder/piston interface needs lubrication.

2) There is no compression on the bottom of the piston to push the oil rings out. Granted, I've not torn a modern engine down but if there are holes in the oil ring land, it is usually to drain the oil off the cylinder faster. Compression is on the top of the piston.

I stopped watching after that.
LOL… I stopped after the “relative” story… the BS meter was on high… too much fluff in his storytelling.
Old 02-01-22, 07:20 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

I thought you had to be YouTube Certified to give out this kind of info?!
Old 02-01-22, 07:21 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts
Default Re

Originally Posted by jeverett72
So if you have not heard of this guy he's a Toyota Master Technician (more experienced and certified than a regular technician) at a Toyota dealer in Chicago.
There seems to be quite abit of information in that video that I don't agree with....

Old 02-01-22, 08:43 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
There seems to be quite abit of information in that video that I don't agree with....
So what things do you not agree with? I am not contradicting what you are saying at all.

Just interested in more specifics of your statement of what you don't agree with, please.
Old 02-01-22, 08:50 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

This is the real cause of the 4 cylinder engine he keeps on mention about, not the oil change intervals. He needs to call out Toyota like it is:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...91611-5448.pdf

The 2AZ-FE engine is susceptible to excessive oil consumption due to oil getting past the piston rings and into the combustion chamber. There have been reports of excessive oil consumption for 2AZ-FE powered Toyota vehicles with mileages as low as 70,000 kms, though it is more commonly experienced from 100,000 to 120,000 kms.

http://m.australiancar.reviews/2AZ-FE-engine.php

I had a car with that engine where it started to have excessive oil consumption at 6 years with just 40,000 km.
Old 02-01-22, 10:32 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
So what things do you not agree with?.
Most of what he said actually but here are a couple of specifics.....anyone that has done alot of engine work on Toyota's knows that when taken apart there is little sign of wear on the cylinders or pistons( cyls almost always have crosshatch and upper cylinders almost have no ridge... piston skirts usually show little wear. I almost agree with him on the oil rings only because he mentioned the drain holes in the piston which plug up, maybe he meant blowby when he mentioned compression causing that. He lost me when he said the oil rings stick out farther on one side of the piston than the other, nothing you could see with the naked eye anyway.

I spent about half of the 1990's working on 3L 4runners and trucks on the head gasket/eroded deck/ eng rebuilds and short block replacements for the campaign that was going on at that time, total 25 years at Toyota which doesn't mean I know it all but I've seen some stuff.

Old 02-01-22, 11:00 AM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Using a borescope and compression test on a customer's 2011 Toyota Camry 2AR-FE 4 cylinder with oil consumption due to poor maintenance and more than 5k OCIs done in random fashion

Tearing down a customer's 2016 Toyota Camry 2AR-FE 4 cylinder with oil consumption

Old 02-01-22, 11:04 AM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by greys0uled
Does this apply to all Toyota engines? In the video description he lists numerous 4 cylinder engines.

The 2GR-FE in my previous '07 Camry V6 never burned oil. However, my mothers 4 cylinder Camry of the same year would have no oil on the dipstick after 4,000 miles.

Not to mention we use synthetic in our cars so I just can't see a reason. I'm curious.
Looks like it's mostly 4 cylinder 2AZ-FE 2.4 liter and 2AR-FE 2.5 liter. Haven't heard much about oil burning in either the 2GR-FE or the 2GR-FSE. The Lexus IS 250 and GS 300 also had lots of carbon buildup and oil burning issues.

Old 02-01-22, 11:15 AM
Lead Lap

Looks like it's mostly 4 cylinder 2AZ-FE 2.4 liter and 2AR-FE 2.5 liter. Haven't heard much about oil burning in either the 2GR-FE or the 2GR-FSE. The Lexus IS 250 and GS 300 also had lots of carbon buildup and oil burning issues.
ARs are fine. It’s the later year AZ that has wide spread issues.
Old 02-01-22, 11:17 AM
Lead Lap

Using a borescope and compression test on a customer's 2011 Toyota Camry 2AR-FE 4 cylinder with oil consumption due to poor maintenance and more than 5k OCIs done in random fashion

https://youtu.be/YjsUsXc3TPU

Tearing down a customer's 2016 Toyota Camry 2AR-FE 4 cylinder with oil consumption

https://youtu.be/h6XnNAfQ904
That Camry has the AZ. Not the ARs. ARs are solid engines still used today.
Old 02-01-22, 11:20 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
2) There is no compression on the bottom of the piston to push the oil rings out.
Of course there is otherwise there would be zero blow by which happens even on a low mileage engine.

Quick Reply: Car Care Nut on why most people need 5k mile or 6 month oil changes