Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Supra or Skyline

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-03, 05:46 AM
ChrisFL
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
Just how successful was the XJ220? I think it had some crazy top speed (200mph+) but that's about it. It made I think 550~600hp out of a 3.5 V6, which can be done with a heavily modded EJ20 or 4G63 (both 2.0 liter). and can EASILY be reached with both inline 6 turbo monsters.

300ZXTT and 3000GT VR4 looked great on paper. THe VR4 even had 6-speed, AWD, AWS, and active aero to go with the package. Since when was the VR4 successful? I gotta say I like both the 300ZX and the VR4 but I'll take GTR or SupraTT over those ANYDAY.
Well, like I said, due to new emissions laws in Japan, they cant make I6's like they did before, so what better option do they have? V8?
Old 10-09-03, 01:03 PM
<<--YK-->>
Driver School Candidate

I guess someone's going to have to define successful....The VR-4s are not bad at all, i think they just got some bad press. You can launch those things at like 7000rpms and be making boost in no time...I think they're pretty fast. And V6s are more efficient I think. Otherwise why would Japan be switching from inlines to meet emmissions laws?
Old 10-09-03, 01:45 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ChrisFL
Well, like I said, due to new emissions laws in Japan, they cant make I6's like they did before, so what better option do they have? V8?
L6 turbos are probably making alot more smog than newer V8s. Not to mention how much more emission they'll give out after modded.

They can still make 4 cylinder turbos. But that's not enough to be flagship engines.

Originally posted by <<--YK-->>
I guess someone's going to have to define successful....The VR-4s are not bad at all, i think they just got some bad press. You can launch those things at like 7000rpms and be making boost in no time...I think they're pretty fast. And V6s are more efficient I think. Otherwise why would Japan be switching from inlines to meet emmissions laws?
V6s are cleaner than L6s. That's why it's replacing L6s, not because it's making more power or anything like that.
Old 10-09-03, 03:26 PM
NRG
Lead Lap

how can I6 not pass emission in japan? Link to proof?
40% of the cars in japan are running 1jz and 2jz
hope you know that the supra wasnt the only car in japan that had the I6 motor..
all i know is that the emission laws are not that strick as they are in california..
Old 10-09-03, 05:14 PM
5speed300
Pole Position

Why is an I6 less emmisions friendly than a V6? I thought it had to do with the engine components not the cylinder layout?
Old 10-09-03, 05:17 PM
ChrisFL
Driver

Originally posted by NRG
how can I6 not pass emission in japan? Link to proof?
40% of the cars in japan are running 1jz and 2jz
hope you know that the supra wasnt the only car in japan that had the I6 motor..
all i know is that the emission laws are not that strick as they are in california..
Actually, I've heard that Japanese emissions laws are tougher, but they have much different things they look for when doing emissions. BTW, most articles I've read about the upcoming GT-R talk about why they don't use the RB26, and the emissions issue
Old 10-09-03, 07:02 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ChrisFL
Actually, I've heard that Japanese emissions laws are tougher, but they have much different things they look for when doing emissions. BTW, most articles I've read about the upcoming GT-R talk about why they don't use the RB26, and the emissions issue
I think Japanese automakers are leaning towards N/A engines for less emissions, which is definitely valid. It's just that it's sad to see all those fine turbo motors go into history.

It's like when American domestic cars had all those muscle monsters. Today they have the Focus and Malibu.
Old 10-15-03, 05:02 PM
martialart
Driver

i would go with the supra, just my 2 cents ,,,,,
Old 10-15-03, 09:17 PM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

It won't be right for me to say the GTR, but Toyota has a history of screwing up a good thing. Just REMAKE MY CAR AND GIVE ME PARTS PRODUCTION FOR A LIFETIME!
Old 10-16-03, 07:54 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's an article in the latest SuperStreet or Modified Mag (I think) that talks about "crazy" engine swaps. In Japan, they did a VQ35 swap into a Skyline taking out the RB26DETT. They still TT'd the VQ35 and it made some sick gob of power.

I think part of the "problem" with V-6 vs I6 turbos is fitament issues too. When you have the manifold on one side and have more room to work with, things fit better and don't tend to malfunction as often. Then again, Japan has been shoe horning big engines w/turbos into little cars for eons now.
Old 10-16-03, 09:01 AM
LexFather

It's like when American domestic cars had all those muscle monsters. Today they have the Focus and Malibu.
LMAO!!!

Old 10-21-03, 01:11 PM
Lonewolf
Driver School Candidate

My choice would be the Skylines. R32, R33, R34 Vspec II, Nismo GT-R or R35.

Now don't get me wrong the Supra is a nice car, but since we could always get that car, it's been done to many times over.
Old 10-23-03, 09:09 AM
v300
Lead Lap

... just out of curiosity, I know Japan has "the gentlemen's act" where manufacturers cannot build cars more than 280ps. How is a 450 twin turbo V6 even possible in the confines of Japanese emissions? I don't see how 3.5 yielding 450 qualies for LEV. The only way Nissan's going to produce some car like this is that the car has to be "exotic" and w/ a sticker of at least $90,000 where 25% goes to the government. Nissan went under once and the company is controlled by the Dutch (I think).
Old 10-23-03, 01:43 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by v300
... just out of curiosity, I know Japan has "the gentlemen's act" where manufacturers cannot build cars more than 280ps. How is a 450 twin turbo V6 even possible in the confines of Japanese emissions? I don't see how 3.5 yielding 450 qualies for LEV. The only way Nissan's going to produce some car like this is that the car has to be "exotic" and w/ a sticker of at least $90,000 where 25% goes to the government. Nissan went under once and the company is controlled by the Dutch (I think).
The gentlemen's agreement is just what it says... it's an agreement. I don't think it's a law. It's awkward to produce cars with over 280ps but the'yre not gonna be sued for that.

Or they can just drop off their 450hp VQ35DETT V35 GTRs at Nismo for some cosmetics and tuning. Since it's not from the factory those cars are not under the gentlemen's agreement.
Old 10-23-03, 04:32 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Does the gentlemans law still apply? Cuz the Q/FX45 as well as all the newer 1uz and 3uz-fe powered Toyota/Lexus kinda ignored that. Also, Lexus's new GT car rumored to have 500hp??? I hope they throw the agreement out the window and do what the crazy germans are doing :-D

Quick Reply: Supra or Skyline