Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 J.D. Power's Vehicle Dependability Study

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-22, 11:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
again we need to really look at what these numbers mean. the counts are "problems per 100 cars".
the best is 145 (or 1.45 problems per car) and the worst is 284 (or 2.84 problems per car).

so the 'best' cars have 1-2 problems per car and the worst have 2-3.

what this tells me is ALL cars are EXTREMELY "dependable" (the key word in the title of the study) and the chance of a serious 'dependability' problem (i.e., being stranded somewhere) are EXTREMELY low for all vehicles.

ergo, the 'study' does not mean a whole lot.
This logic doesn't make any sense. The worst rated car still has twice the problems as the highest rated car. Thats significant, and that means you are twice as likely to have issues with the lowest rated brand than the highest rated brand.

And again, its not just being stranded somewhere. You have never had an extremely problematic car...its a HUGE issue even if it never leaves you stranded.
Old 02-14-22, 11:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,766 Posts

I think these reliability reports are extremely helpful in determining what car will be the least problematic. I was so sick of the unreliability of VW's and some other cars I had bought that when I was ready to buy a new car, I turned to Consumer Reports reliability report, which led me to buying my first Toyota. Now days I still use CR and JDP when looking at reliability of big ticket electronic items, I would say they have been pretty spot on
Old 02-14-22, 12:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This logic doesn't make any sense.
to you.

The worst rated car still has twice the problems as the highest rated car. Thats significant, and that means you are twice as likely to have issues with the lowest rated brand than the highest rated brand.
2.8 issues vs 1.4 issues may be numerically twice, but the 'graph' makes it seem like you'll have 145 issues with the best vs 284 issues with the worst which WOULD be a huge difference.
but 1.4 more issues for the "worst" is basically nothing, and maybe the extra 1.4 are covered in the same service/warranty visit as the other 1.4, so again, no big deal.

You have never had an extremely problematic car...its a HUGE issue even if it never leaves you stranded.
you don't know all of what i've experienced so don't assume.

it's a huge inconvenience to have an 'extremely problematic' car, but a land rover / range rover that has 2.8 problems is not 'extremely problematic'. i'd call that an extreme exaggeration.
Old 02-14-22, 12:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
So if an outfit like JDP gets their survey results back and they are close should they just not publish them? If nothing else I guess it confirms what you said, most cars these days are pretty reliable.
they publish because it gets them clicks/views/revenue somehow.

they lead to stupid sub headlines like on autoblog where it says: "Land Rover sits at the very bottom yet again"

just like how some supplier that goes from 1% to 2% marketshare can brag they DOUBLED marketshare, it's a joke because they only went up 1%.
the converse 'trick' is done when big govt spenders say "it would only cost 1% of the national budget" but that's still a VAST sum of money.

it is interesting that jdp can't get a rating from the hottest car maker out there, tesla. does that mean tesla people refuse to fill out the surveys?

also from autoblog...

The vehicles included in this study are from the 2019 model year. That means owners have had three years to get to know their cars and trucks. It's the 33rd year that J.D. Power has surveyed owners regarding dependability, but the study has evolved with the times. It was redesigned for this year to include "184 specific problems areas across nine major vehicle categories." For 2022, these categories include driving assistance technologies for the first time. You'll notice that this year's scores are dramatically different from last year's, reflecting the change in the study's format.
i actually got some kind of jd power survey request not long ago for my lexus (i guess it wasn't dependability as the car is too new)... i started doing it but quickly realized it was going to take WAAAAAAAAY too much time. i suspect their 'bail rate' is huge. that might lead to only people very 'proud' and people very 'irritated' by their ownership experiences actually bothering, which would of course lead to polarized results.

and land rover being at the bottom? it's possible that those buyers actually use those vehicles as intended, off road, WAY more than any other brand, whereas a camry is unlikely to have such abuse. my point is it's very difficult to compare entire brands of vehicles.
Old 02-14-22, 12:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

also interesting that jd power doesn't even appear to have this '2022' (which means 2019 vehicles) dependability survey on their website.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/ratings/dependability

edit: ah, thanks google, it's in a press release:
https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...dability-study
Old 02-14-22, 01:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

to you.
And to all the other posters in this thread

I would amend your comment that these surveys don't have any value to you

2.8 issues vs 1.4 issues may be numerically twice, but the 'graph' makes it seem like you'll have 145 issues with the best vs 284 issues with the worst which WOULD be a huge difference.
but 1.4 more issues for the "worst" is basically nothing, and maybe the extra 1.4 are covered in the same service/warranty visit as the other 1.4, so again, no big deal.
As someone who has had multiple vehicles of the top rated manufacturers and multiple vehicles from the bottom rated, believe me there is a considerable difference lol

you don't know all of what i've experienced so don't assume.
You've certainly never talked about it here.

it's a huge inconvenience to have an 'extremely problematic' car, but a land rover / range rover that has 2.8 problems is not 'extremely problematic'. i'd call that an extreme exaggeration.
Talk to some folks who have Land Rovers...
Old 02-14-22, 01:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Talk to some folks who have Land Rovers...
and yet, they're selling better than ever. and many who have problems buy again anyway.
oh wait, like a certain stellantis minivan buyer too.

Old 02-14-22, 01:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

and yet, they're selling better than ever. and many who have problems buy again anyway.
oh wait, like a certain stellantis minivan buyer too.
Totally, but that doesn't mean they are reliable. They're very appealing, but almost everybody I know with one has had issues with it.

The point of surveys like this is just to give somebody a data point, and I think largely the results are accurate and they match the experience I've had with different brands both myself and anecdotally through people I know.