Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 acura mdx type s

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-22, 11:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223

You can easily get one.....

2017 is the start of the current gen, you can easily get one for 70k. I tend to view cars based on platform/driveline since that's functionally the car, some model years or refreshes are quite important but if they don't change engine or trans it still the same car underneath. I am just astounded how much they want for what this car is, I would much sooner get an X5 or Q7 or GX
Why are you trying to compare a 2017 Panamera vs a 2022 MDX Type-S? Look at the mileage on those examples...
Old 02-17-22, 11:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Basic X5 is a better car than this still. It's like saying a loaded Camry is as good as a base ES.
I agree, but most consumers don't understand or care. Its actually way better, the loaded Camry vs ES comparison isnt very good. Its like a loaded ES vs a base 5 Series. But, to many consumers the finishes and the options are what they judge a car by, not the platform or its design.

I actually never asked why you only buy new cars? Not accusing or implying anything I just realized I don't actually know your exact thoughts on it. If you would, I'm curious since I think I've made it fairly clear why I don't
I just dont like used cars, I prefer having something brand new that has only been used by me. I also lease for business, and you can't lease used cars. Well, you can but it doesnt make sense.

Originally Posted by Motorola
It's not that basic, a base AWD X5 starts at $63K and comes standard with the inline 6. A loaded X5 sits right at $80K. A $7K difference between a loaded MDX and X5 when both cars are already over $70K doesn't leave much to the value proposition. Same with the GV80, which has to succeed mainly based on its merits.
$7k doesnt get you many options on a BMW lol. I
Old 02-17-22, 11:05 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I agree, but most consumers don't understand or care. Its actually way better, the loaded Camry vs ES comparison isnt very good. Its like a loaded ES vs a base 5 Series. But, to many consumers the finishes and the options are what they judge a car by, not the platform or its design.
The analogy for the Camry/ES works for the MDX because its platform will be shared with the upcoming Pilot. The turbo V6 is what is supposed to make it a competitor to the upper leagues, but it's both (relatively) slow and thirstier.

$7k doesnt get you many options on a BMW lol.
$7K between a loaded X5 and MDX isn't much of a leap for most people who have the cash to spare on a $70K+ vehicle.

I really do think the MDX Type S is aimed, like the TLX Type S, primarily at Acura loyalists and makes no serious attempt to sway other brand buyers.
Old 02-17-22, 11:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

$7K between a loaded X5 and MDX isn't much of a leap for most people who have the cash to spare on a $70K+ vehicle.

I really do think the MDX Type S is aimed, like the TLX Type S, primarily at Acura loyalists and makes no serious attempt to sway other brand buyers.
Its 10% more expensive. And I agree, its aimed at Acura loyalists and thats who will buy it.
Old 02-17-22, 11:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

$7k doesnt get you many options on a BMW lol. I
perhaps you misunderstood. motorola said a loaded x5 is 80k which is 7-8k more than the mdx. i'd probably want the loaded x5 over the loaded mdx!

i did a build on an x5 and surprisingly there's not a ton of options/packages. i made a comparable x5 (awd, few packages, msport) and it was around 74k, so the mdx is indeed not looking so good.

the mdx is a bigger vehicle though so there's that.
Old 02-17-22, 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
perhaps you misunderstood. motorola said a loaded x5 is 80k which is 7-8k more than the mdx. i'd probably want the loaded x5 over the loaded mdx!

i did a build on an x5 and surprisingly there's not a ton of options/packages. i made a comparable x5 (awd, few packages, msport) and it was around 70k, so the mdx is indeed not looking so good.

the mdx is a bigger vehicle though so there's that.
I understood. I would take a loaded X5 for $7k more all day, but there are lots of people who wont, and the MDX is a better family vehicle if you need that as well. Better comparison is really to the X7 which is going to be considerably more.

Yoyr $70k M Sport X5 wont be comparable to this MDX in features. Bear in mind BMW is also limiting packages right now.
Old 02-17-22, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

x5 doesn't offer air suspension though i don't think.
Old 02-17-22, 11:22 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,766 Posts

I included a picture with 4 under 70k
I was talking about a Panamera, not X5
Old 02-17-22, 11:30 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

I understood. I would take a loaded X5 for $7k more all day, but there are lots of people who wont, and the MDX is a better family vehicle if you need that as well. Better comparison is really to the X7 which is going to be considerably more.
MDX is as much of a competitor to the X5 as the Q7, just having a third row isn't enough to differentiate it. Both the MDX and Q7 are FWD-based so their packaging gives them more interior room despite not being considerably larger vehicles.

X7 can also fit full-size adults in the third row which is next to impossible in the MDX/Q7.
Old 02-17-22, 11:31 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Yoyr $70k M Sport X5 wont be comparable to this MDX in features. Bear in mind BMW is also limiting packages right now.
Ye X5 has more features, more performance and way better interface (iDrive 7) compared to MDX.

What features is it missing?
Also no packages are being limited.
Old 02-17-22, 11:36 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
x5 doesn't offer air suspension though i don't think.
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I was talking about a Panamera, not X5
It will still ride better regardless to say nothing of handling, air just doesn't automatically mean excellent ride.

AMIRZA, scroll up. I sent two pictures, in my search there are over 30
Old 02-17-22, 11:39 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Here is one i just built with Msport, Merino Leather, optional staggered wheels, Executive pack and Luxury Seat Pack - glass controls, massage seats etc

Base MSRP

2022 X5 xDrive40i
$62,900

Design
[size=33px]M Sport[/size]

$4,700

Exterior
[size=33px]Phytonic Blue Metallic[/size]

$550 21" M Y-spoke Bi-color Wheels, Style 741M with Performance Run-flat Tires
$950

Interior

Tartufo Extended Merino Leather
Availability Information
$1,000 Brown-Metallic Ash Grain Wood Trim

Options

Executive Package
$3,550
Luxury Seating Package
$1,600
4-zone automatic climate control
$400

Additional Costs

Destination & Handling
$995
Total Price (MSRP)
$76,645
Old 02-17-22, 11:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

MDX is as much of a competitor to the X5 as the Q7, just having a third row isn't enough to differentiate it. Both the MDX and Q7 are FWD-based so their packaging gives them more interior room despite not being considerably larger vehicles.

X7 can also fit full-size adults in the third row which is next to impossible in the MDX/Q7.
The Q7 isnt FWD based, the MDX is transverse engine and the Q7 in longitudinal engine, the Q7 doesnt benefit from much packaging. The MDX is longer and has a much better third row.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Also no packages are being limited.
Yeah they are. You cant currently get the B&W audio on the 6 cyl X5 for instance. Its because of chip shortages
Old 02-17-22, 12:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah they are. You cant currently get the B&W audio on the 6 cyl X5 for instance. Its because of chip shortages
The optional audio option was removed from most BMW models.
That is hardly significant and there are no “packages” missing as you stated previously.

The X5 is a superb SUV and good value especially compared to this MDX TypeS

I found the 3rd row to be useless on MDX and when its up there is almost no storage space.
Old 02-17-22, 01:06 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

The Q7 isnt FWD based, the MDX is transverse engine and the Q7 in longitudinal engine, the Q7 doesnt benefit from much packaging. The MDX is longer and has a much better third row.
MLB platform under Q7 is FWD based, and it's mounted in front of the front axles so that helps with interior space. Q7 is also longer than the MDX- 198.9 vs. 198.4 inches. Wheelbase is also a whopping 5 inches longer.

Quick Reply: 2022 acura mdx type s