Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pricing, markup, direct vs. dealers

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-22, 07:55 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Definitely a seller's market. But it will change. Glad I have all the autos I needed for a while.
Old 04-15-22, 08:06 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,766 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Vehicle markups are not because of inflation. Its supply vs demand.
^^ This ^^
Old 04-15-22, 08:13 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,766 Posts

Thats the really tragic part of all of this, somebody will.

As much as I love cars, I'm not playing. I'll just keep the cars I have until things get more normal, even if I have to buy them out of the leases. I almost got T-Boned a couple weeks ago by somebody who ran a red light, and my first thought was not "thank God I'm alive" but "thank God I don't have to buy another car"
This: I'll just keep the cars I have until things get more normal, even if I have to buy them out of the leases and this: "thank God I'm alive" but "thank God I don't have to buy another car"
Old 04-15-22, 03:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
But remember, inflation is "only" 8.5%.........never mind every single part I have ordered for the last 2 months is nearing 2x price in some cases.
No comment, I think we see eye to eye on all of this lol.

Originally Posted by tex2670
A $14K MVA over a $28K car is a 50% markup. On a car that's supposed to be in the "affordable" category.
I'm stupid with math, I did that in my head and figured high probability it was wrong lol. Now give me a 10 page paper to write, it would be done in 2 hours.

Not only that, but it's like pulling teeth to get them to tell you pricing or markup over the phone. "Oh we discuss pricing when you come in." I'd have to be going dealer to dealer for an entire day just to get prices. It's insane. Tell me again how the pandemic is going to "transform" the car sale industry?
They'll hardly EVER put anything in writing over a text or email either.

Thats the really tragic part of all of this, somebody will.
A sucker is a sucker, I wonder if whomever reported it can check and see if it's still there.

As much as I love cars, I'm not playing. I'll just keep the cars I have until things get more normal, even if I have to buy them out of the leases. I almost got T-Boned a couple weeks ago by somebody who ran a red light, and my first thought was not "thank God I'm alive" but "thank God I don't have to buy another car"
Do you have that backwards? I don't mean religious necessarily in any way, just as an expression. I love my cars as much as anyone on this site does, but after an accident I'd be thankful (to God, whom/whatever, etc.) to be okay before worrying about my car.
Old 04-15-22, 03:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Of money yes. There is a lot of cheap money flying around
Old 04-15-22, 05:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Then it's inflation because of markups, same difference really.
Old 04-15-22, 08:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Do you have that backwards? I don't mean religious necessarily in any way, just as an expression. I love my cars as much as anyone on this site does, but after an accident I'd be thankful (to God, whom/whatever, etc.) to be okay before worrying about my car.
Thats my whole point lol. Because of how difficult it is to buy a new car, I was thankful I didn't have to over being alive...get it?

The car is just a thing, it wasn't about loving the car it was about not wanting to have to take it in the pooper to replace it.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Of money yes. There is a lot of cheap money flying around
Been lots of cheap money flying around for literally 15 years. Have you looked at the new car sales thread on here? Almost everybody's sales are DOWN 25%+ YoY. That means that less cars are being sold...yet prices are astronomically high. Why? Because there is way more demand than supply. If this was driven by cheap money and not reduction in supply sales volume would be up, not down.

In my business escalations are INSANE. I wrote an offer on a $2M house for a client. We escalated to $2.3M, all cash, zero contingencies. We lost. There were 3 offers over $2.7M and it sold for nearly $3M. Thats INSANE. Another house, $775k. I almost bought the same house in 2019 for $670k. Went for almost $1.1M. Another house, listed for $2M, sold for $2.3M before ever going on the market, buyers bought it in 2021 for $1.6M. Thats $700,000 appreciation in 1 year.

We just went over our numbers...our business is off 25%...nationwide. Yet, prices are insane. Why is that? Demand dramatically outpaces supply. Rates ghave gone up almost 2 percentage points in 2 months and its just made the market crazier.

Vehicle run ups in price are due to reduced inventory that doesn't come close to meeting demand. This is DRIVING inflation, not caused by inflation.

I promise you, dealers don't like this just like Real Estate companies don't like this. They and we make money on volume. You should see the budget cuts I'm dealing with in the middle of the "most incredible Real Estate market ever".

Originally Posted by Och
Then it's inflation because of markups, same difference really.
Its actually not even close to the same thing. These vehicle prices are transitory, they will ease once production improves.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-15-22 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-16-22, 09:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
They'll hardly EVER put anything in writing over a text or email either.
I've bought cars before - they most definitely do give quotes over the phone and by email. Other than a test drive, I never step foot in the dealer without a firm price already. I've had many dealers where the 1st communication I have from them is an emailed quote.
Old 04-16-22, 11:01 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Talking about all of the markups, I'm pretty fortunate. When I took delivery of my special order Ultra Lux. in late January of this year, I paid:

MSRP $54,265
Disc. $4873 + Rebate $1500 = $6373
Purchase price $47,892
Old 04-16-22, 11:50 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Thats my whole point lol. Because of how difficult it is to buy a new car, I was thankful I didn't have to over being alive...get it?

The car is just a thing, it wasn't about loving the car it was about not wanting to have t
Gotcha, remember I bought my truck from a close friend so all we had to do was go to the county office and before that I bought the LS430 in 2012. I'm not in car dealerships very often.

I've bought cars before - they most definitely do give quotes over the phone and by email. Other than a test drive, I never step foot in the dealer without a firm price already. I've had many dealers where the 1st communication I have from them is an emailed quote.
You're right. I remember when looking at LXs I made offers and they'd give me an OTD price. But I never pulled the trigger on any of them, I don't like buying sight unseen. It was fate for me to get what I got from my friend lol.
Old 04-16-22, 11:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is how I have always bought cars. Well, since this was possible.
Old 04-16-22, 02:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

when was the last time you bought a car?

with such limited inventory, dealers want people to come in because it's first person to sign on the dotted line gets it.
Old 04-16-22, 05:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with such limited inventory, dealers want people to come in because it's first person to sign on the dotted line gets it.
Dealers are definitely still doing internet deals, there just isn't room for negotiation
Old 04-16-22, 08:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
when was the last time you bought a car?

doesn't make sense. actually this is the market where it's easier to just throw out the prices and someone will come. in a buyer's market, sellers want to attract buyers to appear physically so sellers get a chance to close the deal. in seller's market, sellers can post up a price and buyers would rush over and maybe even overbid.

that's exactly what is happening now. some friends of mine looked for cars and they called around, sales simply said over the phone X amount over msrp, do you want it?
Old 04-16-22, 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
doesn't make sense. actually this is the market where it's easier to just throw out the prices and someone will come. in a buyer's market, sellers want to attract buyers to appear physically so sellers get a chance to close the deal. in seller's market, sellers can post up a price and buyers would rush over and maybe even overbid.

that's exactly what is happening now. some friends of mine looked for cars and they called around, sales simply said over the phone X amount over msrp, do you want it?
you're not disagreeing with what i said really... sw17ls said they don't want to negotiate not in person, which is what you just said and i'm saying i agree too, the ONLY chance of negotiation might be to go in person and if it's the end of the day or they just found out they're getting another one of the same car they might be willing to budge, a bit.

picture this... a dealer has ONE of a particular model. why on earth would they sell it below msrp? and if someone's not willing to come to the dealer... here you go, max price.

i've made no secret of the fact that i don't like dealer practices but i'm only saying here what i think they're doing and it makes sense. doesn't mean we have to like it.

Quick Reply: Pricing, markup, direct vs. dealers