Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 BMW i7

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-22, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I have heard over and over again from people that the new 7 looks like a Rolls Royce, including from my wife, I see it too. When you put them side by side, obviously it doesnt look like a RR, but when you see it alone it definitely has RR vibes.
Old 04-24-22, 02:45 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have heard over and over again from people that the new 7 looks like a Rolls Royce, including from my wife, I see it too. When you put them side by side, obviously it doesnt look like a RR, but when you see it alone it definitely has RR vibes.
It's tall like a Rolls Royce because it has to accommodate a huge battery for the i7. That's the only part that gives it the Rolls Royce impression, alongside the huge grille which isn't exclusive to Rolls.

To be fair, I can't blame the designer here- this is all on the tastes of the Chinese market, which is the 7's target audience. That Hongqi I posted earlier? Designed by Giles Taylor, former head of Rolls Royce design.

Old 04-24-22, 03:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Whatever gives it that impression doesn't matter, people definitely get that impression.
Old 04-24-22, 03:12 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Whatever gives it that impression doesn't matter, people definitely get that impression.
Impressions don't often align with reality, and the reality is that the BMW is closer to this than the Rolls.

And surprise surprise, the Chinese market loves huge ugly overbites on their flagship sedans too.

Last edited by Motorola; 04-24-22 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-24-22, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Impressions don't often align with reality, and the reality is that the BMW is closer to this than the Rolls.
But when it comes to public perception, impressions are all that matter. BMW will get mileage out of the fact that this vehicle reminds people of a Rolls Royce. Thats the point.
Old 04-24-22, 03:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I have heard over and over again from people that the new 7 looks like a Rolls Royce, including from my wife, I see it too.
what 'people'? the car isn't even out.

When you put them side by side, obviously it doesnt look like a RR, but when you see it alone it definitely has RR vibes.
if bmw can fool people into thinking their customers are driving a rolls royce, good for them. people actually buying one or the other won't be fooled.

i don't see any "RR vibes" whatsoever. i think it looks absolutely terrible, with its only distinctiveness being a ridiculous and unnecessary front design and overhang.
Old 04-24-22, 03:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what 'people'? the car isn't even out.
Uh, people who have seen the pictures...which are posted here?

if bmw can fool people into thinking their customers are driving a rolls royce, good for them. people actually buying one or the other won't be fooled.
Nobody will be fooled lol, but there are a lot of people out there who like the profile of a Rolls Royce, and this will appeal to them on that basis.

i don't see any "RR vibes" whatsoever. i think it looks absolutely terrible, with its only distinctiveness being a ridiculous and unnecessary front design and overhang.
Lots of people do though, I have come across it on multiple forums, facebook comments, and like I said it was the first thing my wife said when she saw the pictures. Like Motorola said its the tall upright sedan-ness of it. A Rolls Royce is almost SUV tall despite being a sedan.
Old 04-24-22, 03:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
To be fair, I can't blame the designer here- this is all on the tastes of the Chinese market, which is the 7's target audience. That Hongqi I posted earlier? Designed by Giles Taylor, former head of Rolls Royce design.

i'd not heard of hongqi... but found this nugget...

Hongqi is believed to have a major technical partner lined up as part of its world push. One rumour says it is Lexus; it has certainly used some Lexus petrol engines in previous models.

and...

Taylor tells Life & Leisure at the Frankfurt Motor Show that the company has the goal of being the No. 1 luxury brand in China, ahead of the Europeans, and to spread out from there. He says younger customers in China, many of them with extreme wealth, are very keen to buy a local product, but acceptance in the West will take time.

A forthcoming flagship will carry a Rolls-Royce price tag but will be a very different vehicle.

“We are not going to copy a Western aesthetic,” says Taylor. “The Hongqi brand is the oldest and most luxurious in China. The artistic culture of [the country], whether it’s woods, leather, jade, silks … ancient sculpture, fashion, calligraphy … there is a beautiful, rich, crafted history that has to form the backbone of any Hongqi at the pinnacle. We will use those elements in a way that is beautiful and elegant and will attract people in their own right.”

Taylor is more than confident that the company can realise its lofty ambitions. “I can feel the energy.”
https://www.afr.com/life-and-luxury/...0190921-p52tj6

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-24-22 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-24-22, 03:28 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

But when it comes to public perception, impressions are all that matter. BMW will get mileage out of the fact that this vehicle reminds people of a Rolls Royce. Thats the point.
The problem is, BMW isn't making a car that looks like a Rolls, they are making a car for the Chinese market where there is an entire segment of cars like that Hongqi, that originated as Rolls Royce knockoffs. In other words, they're making a product that visually matches the rest of the segment it was designed for in its primary target market. Nobody will confuse it with a Rolls, but many will cross-shop it with a Hongqi.
Old 04-24-22, 03:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Whats interesting is it LOOKS tall, but its really not that tall. Its 60.8 inches tall, and a W223 is 59.3 so 1.5 inches taller. RR Phantom is 65 inches tall. For the record my Pacifica is 69.9 inches tall, that shows you how tall a RR is.
Old 04-24-22, 03:31 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Whats interesting is it LOOKS tall, but its really not that tall. Its 60.8 inches tall, and a W223 is 59.3 so 1.5 inches taller. RR Phantom is 65 inches tall. For the record my Pacifica is 69.9 inches tall, that shows you how tall a RR is.
It's the same height as the RR Ghost. The Phantom is taller by virtue of being a much longer car.
Old 04-24-22, 03:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ghosts look much taller than a typical sedan in person also, its likely the height of the hood and trunk as well that gives that appearance.
Old 04-24-22, 03:35 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'd not heard of hongqi... but found this nugget...
They actually had a partnership with Toyota and made their own version of the Crown some years back:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hongqi_H7
Old 04-24-22, 03:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Ghosts look much taller than a typical sedan in person also, its likely the height of the hood and trunk as well that gives that appearance.
RR's have to be tall so the Queen can wear her hats inside.
Old 04-24-22, 04:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

That's what I mean as well, side by side yeah no. But on its own it has that vibe.

Quick Reply: 2023 BMW i7