Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 BMW i7

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-22, 04:20 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I don't think so anymore
Correct. The previous Ghost was on the same CLAR platform as both the previous (G01) and current (G70) 7-series. However the current Ghost is on the Phantom/Cullinan platform, which is bespoke for RR.
Old 11-11-22, 06:01 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
"It doesn't burn your eyes when every line and detail is obscured in black" isn't much of a ringing endorsement lol.
Of course. I wonder if there's a BMW that you objectively comment. Or is it Genesis or nothing? Lol.
Old 11-11-22, 06:07 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Of course. I wonder if there's a BMW that you objectively comment. Or is it Genesis or nothing? Lol.
Looks aren't objective, and I'm pretty sure you are the only person I've seen call the new 7 a "hot" design lol. The BMW wishes it could look like the Genesis G90, heck it even stole its split headlamps.
Old 11-11-22, 06:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Saw this one on another forum. Looks like they also took it off another forum. Looks pretty dawn hot IMO.
that's because it's all blacked out.

in white, not so much...

Old 11-11-22, 06:29 AM
1111GS

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's because it's all blacked out.
Looks aren't objective, and I'm pretty sure you are the only person I've seen call the new 7 a "hot" design lol.
Well... was my comment about black or white? I made a comment about that particular design in that color, didn't I?
Looks aren't objective...The BMW wishes it could look like the Genesis G90, heck it even stole its split headlamps.
I'm sure that statement isn't very objective to say, is it? I thought they stole it from Nissan? No?
Old 11-11-22, 06:40 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

I'm sure that statement isn't very objective to say, is it? I thought they stole it from Nissan? No?
I don't see people comparing the Genesis headlamps to Nissan, do you?

Looks are subjective, but objectively as stated a few posts above, BMW designed the new 7 to appeal to 38 year old Chinese market consumers. No surprise the new 7 doesn't seem to resonate with anyone here (besides a couple lol) or other parts of the western journalist/enthusiast press when it obviously wasn't designed with our tastes in mind.
Old 11-11-22, 08:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It doesn’t matter if Genesis came out first with the headlight designs…the BMW brand is superior to Genesis so people will assume BMW defined the trend/style ….and the BMW technology is far more advanced as well.
Old 11-12-22, 02:03 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
the BMW brand is superior to Genesis so people will assume BMW defined the trend/style
And where are those "people"?

and the BMW technology is far more advanced as well.
Name some of this "far more advanced" technology the BMW has over the G90. I didn't know missing AWD with a 6-cylinder makes it more advanced lol.
Old 11-12-22, 03:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And where are those "people"?
ol.
society

Name some of this "far more advanced"
V8
Old 11-12-22, 03:56 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

society
Of what?

V8
Something invented over 100 years ago? lol
Old 11-12-22, 04:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Of what?

Something invented over 100 years ago? lol
A V8 helps BMW elevate the brand over Genesis.
Old 11-12-22, 06:27 AM
1111GS

society
V8
It's interesting you brought this up. I'm not sure about V8 but non Genesis brand is for sure a thing around here. Many do. Most houses have one to four luxury brands including (expensive) Tesla and Italians/British. I don't see any Genesis here. In my circle, I don't have any friend with a Genesis either. Even the one Korean close friend who always highly speaks about his Korean products. He has one Hyundai and a BMW even he highly speaks of Genesis too. Lol. Of course this has no direct relation to this i7 and already existed before it came out. Even when we argue (subjectively) about this car, there are other choices that people tend to pick before getting a Genesis. Or maybe these people are not enthusiastic enough.
Old 11-12-22, 06:42 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

It's interesting you brought this up. I'm not sure about V8 but non Genesis brand is for sure a thing around here. Many do. Most houses have one to four luxury brands including (expensive) Tesla and Italians/British. I don't see any Genesis here. In my circle, I don't have any friend with a Genesis either. Even the one Korean close friend who always highly speaks about his Korean products. He has one Hyundai and a BMW even he highly speaks of Genesis too. Lol. Of course this has no direct relation to this i7 and already existed before it came out. Even when we argue (subjectively) about this car, there are other choices that people tend to pick before getting a Genesis. Or maybe these people are not enthusiastic enough.
Anecdotes once again don't trump data.

Genesis's weakness has always been its near non-existent dealer network limiting its inventory. Doesn't mean they aren't sought after.
Old 11-12-22, 07:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

A shopper goes into a BMW dealer…choice of rwd I6, a choice of V8 or electric model in the 7 series . Lots of choices, remove the V8 and the brand loses the prestige . BMW has distanced themselves from the new Genesis model. It really is too bad there is no longer a V12. Genesis on the other hand removed their V8 offering….Genesis would help establish a better name for themselves if they went all out and developed a high 550+ hp V8.

Even the one Korean close friend who always highly speaks about his Korean products.

Even when we argue (subjectively) about this car, there are other choices that people tend to pick before getting a Genesis
Most will pick a BMW. BMW makes a superior product
Genesis's weakness has always been its near non-existent dealer network limiting its inventory. Doesn't mean they aren't sought after.
Buyers will seek out truly exceptional products and will pay more for them if they are indeed exceptional, The 7 series is in a different league over a G90, a Genesis dealer is not gonna make a difference for the G90 vs a 7 series.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-12-22 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-12-22, 07:29 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Buyers will seek out truly exceptional products and will pay more for them if they are indeed exceptional, The 7 series is in a different league over a G90, a Genesis dealer is not gonna make a difference for the G90 vs a 7 series.
Just like how they paid over 20% MSRP for the GV80 and GV70 right? I don't see a single BMW on that list unless you count a Mini Cooper.

You can continue making blanket statements and moving goalposts as you wish, but buyers will buy what's available first and foremost. See how well a V8 has helped Audi A8/S8 sales lol.

Quick Reply: 2023 BMW i7