Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 BMW i7

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-22, 09:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree. I was trying to be nice. Lol.
Old 12-05-22, 11:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Uh, no LOL

For $12,000 extra for the paint??
I'm trying to like it okay? lol! For 12k more the paint better be perfection......
Old 12-06-22, 04:58 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Throttle house or straight pipes review pointed out how much orange peel it had. You could see it so clearly in the video. Awful. Not sure if it was a preproduction model, but I agree. For 12k, that paint better be flawless.
Old 12-06-22, 05:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

thank goodness german makers porsche and audi still make beautiful designs.
Old 12-06-22, 06:15 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Besides the E-Tron GT, which was mostly based on the Taycan, I don't know if any Audi EV currently sold could be considered "beautiful." Conservative and inoffensive, sure.
Old 12-06-22, 08:53 AM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Besides the E-Tron GT, which was mostly based on the Taycan, I don't know if any Audi EV currently sold could be considered "beautiful." Conservative and inoffensive, sure.
Audi style has taken a huge hit since dieselgate, looking cold and not that special. That said, the C8 A6/S6/RS6 line is still very beautiful to me. I have high hopes for the final ICE gens coming, as they won't be getting split headlights like the EVs and are going to get smaller grilles.
Old 12-06-22, 08:55 AM
gor134
Intermediate

My local dealer is already selling multiple of the new 7. Not a fan at all, other than the side profile really. The rear is too reminiscent of the X4 with it's taillights. Also a 4GC I spotted, which I think looks really good tbh minus the front.
Old 12-06-22, 08:57 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gor134
Audi style has taken a huge hit since dieselgate, looking cold and not that special. That said, the C8 A6/S6/RS6 line is still very beautiful to me. I have high hopes for the final ICE gens coming, as they won't be getting split headlights like the EVs and are going to get smaller grilles.
I had high hopes for their A6 EV based on the concept, but the production model looks more like it'll resemble a Passat.

Old 12-06-22, 09:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I've always liked the conservative understated styling of the A8 And A6. After seeing a lot of what BMW is doing and to a lesser extent MB I appreciate them even more. I hope Audi keeps it that way and doesn't try to chase BMW's new styling.
Old 12-06-22, 10:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah…Audi cars are gorgeous (sure sure).

These look pretty good. But not a fan of white.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-06-22 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-06-22, 10:36 AM
gor134
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Motorola
I had high hopes for their A6 EV based on the concept, but the production model looks more like it'll resemble a Passat.
The EVs are doomed lol. They won't look horrible, but won't be special either. At least it won't look like the EV Passat successor that's been spied, that thing is MAJOR bloat and tall!
Old 12-06-22, 01:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

My local dealer is already selling multiple of the new 7. Not a fan at all, other than the side profile really. The rear is too reminiscent of the X4 with it's taillights. Also a 4GC I spotted, which I think looks really good tbh minus the front.
it's quite the trick to make a car boring AND ugly.

the 4gc looks great though.

Old 12-06-22, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Those greys don't look as bad, and thats the first non M Sport i7 I've seen...
Old 12-09-22, 04:24 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

So I just got back from taking the new i7 out for a test drive. The car I test drove was brand new with under 40 miles on the odometer and wasn't an M-Sport model and seemed to have every option with an MSRP of $137,000. Here are my thoughts:

Exterior - The color of the car I test drove was black so it hid some of the ugliness but I will say from certain angles it looked pretty good and had the presence of a flagship sedan. Overall I liked it more than I thought I would and didn't seem overly large. The front grill and driving lights light up when you approach the car which is a little gaudy/garish for my taste.

Interior - The interior color was black with dark matte wood trim. The ambient lights were set to blue and when I put it in sport mode it turned to red and at some point was blue that faded into red. The ambient lights are behind a glass diamond textured trim that goes across the dash. The same glass appears on the seat controls as well. The panoramic roof had ambient lights like my X7 but the pattern was in a diamond pattern. Again, similar to the outside, a little gaudy/garish. The screen in the car looked a little tacked on but I didn't mind it as much as I thought I would but I still like the older gauge cluster and separate screen. The seats were very nice, plush and comfortable and the back seats had a lot of room and nice little pillows on the headrest.

Technology - Wow, some of the features were really cool. The automatic doors were nice since the doors are pretty heavy and the touch sensors for the air vents were nice as well. In the back seat the large monitor for the TV was pretty cool. The doors had controls for everything in the back seat and were little screens as well. While these things were cool, to me it was a little over the top.

Driving Impressions - This is a big car. I used to like big cars when I had my small kids and had my LS600hL so it's not like I never owned a big car but this car just felt really big to me (maybe because I'm not used to it anymore). It was a very soft and comfortable car that would make long drives pretty easy which is the point of a car like this. The car isn't overly fast but had enough pickup for anyone and made a cool sound when you floored it (which I did multiple times to test out the pickup). It handled relatively well for such a big car but I didn't take it too fast in the back road I took it on.

All in all, it's a nice car but it's just not the right car for me personally anymore. I like something more sporty to drive so if I wanted a BMW that is comfortable and big I would get an M5 for myself. It's also a little gaudy/garish and over the top which doesn't appeal to me anymore either. Of course I'm also not the target market for a car like this so for it's target market, I can see the appeal.

Last edited by patgilm; 12-09-22 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-09-22, 06:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Cool pics. I like the interior.

Quick Reply: 2023 BMW i7