Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 BMW i7

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22, 07:45 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah the LC is just my tastes for aesthetic! The LS always was too.

Pretty funny isn't it?

I wouldn't call that subtle, its just from another era today.

I would say the A8/S8 is subtle. I also think the W223 S Class is subtle
It is, I was going to add so is the A8 but you beat me!

A lot of the mainstream stuff is very loud and flashy, even the LS/LC are somehow "tame" or at least flowing and unified in design vs some newer stuff.
Old 04-22-22, 07:47 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Must be... nice to be able to say so. A family I know has two of these but their other car costs more than the two combined. Lol
Depends on what we are talking about when we say subtle, I am referring to purely the visuals. The S-class is way less in your face than a Hyundai pickup thing or the new Chevy trucks.....
Old 04-22-22, 08:22 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I did notice BM sharing ICEV platforms to get EV's onto the market quickly, so there was no BMW codename for a dedicated EV platform like Benz' EVA platform.
So the iX shares the ICEV OKL RWD-based platform with the X5 too?
BMW's UKL platform is for the front-drive cars. Everything rear-drive is on CLAR, including this new 7-series. The iX is on its own platform that's distantly related to CLAR and will cease to be used after iX production is complete. BMW doesn't intend for the "i" subbrand to produce any more unique models (their chief said "probably").
Old 04-22-22, 08:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
It is, I was going to add so is the A8 but you beat me!

A lot of the mainstream stuff is very loud and flashy, even the LS/LC are somehow "tame" or at least flowing and unified in design vs some newer stuff.
I don't think of the LC or LS500 as flashy outside, to me the lines are really expressive and beautiful.

This 7 Series just has loud sharp lines to be loud.

I'm really liking the refresh S8. All the reports I have read say the ride is great despite being a sport oriented model, the D5 A8L I drove had an incredible ride, perhaps a better ride than my S Class honestly...I will check out an S8 if I can find one to drive.
Old 04-22-22, 09:26 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
port holes and jail bars grille are not subtle.
Both of those were from the last-gen Quattroporte, and that's one of the most elegant, discrete flagship sedans ever made. Also helps that those port holes are real.

I wouldn't call that subtle, its just from another era today.

I would say the A8/S8 is subtle. I also think the W223 S Class is subtle
The A8 and S-Class have enormous in-your-face grilles. Obviously toned down compared to the new 7 Series, but still quite a bit of bling.

The A8's subtlety comes more from the fact that it's way closer to an A6 than any of the German flagships are to their midsize counterparts.
Old 04-22-22, 09:34 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I don't think of the LC or LS500 as flashy outside, to me the lines are really expressive and beautiful.

I'm really liking the refresh S8. All the reports I have read say the ride is great despite being a sport oriented model, the D5 A8L I drove had an incredible ride, perhaps a better ride than my S Class honestly...I will check out an S8 if I can find one to drive.
I checked out a white one two days ago. It actually drives wonderfully it’s great suspension adjustability. I actually loved the firmer tuning vs. A8. I don’t love the infotainment system but it’s certainly manageable. Interior materials felt top notch with none of the hard plastics you see occasionally in Mercedes models.

The car I saw was white with black wheels and trim and I have to say it was wholly unappealing outside. I couldn’t get over it. The black optics package made the car look worse. Right now the pre-facelift A8 looks best to me.
Old 04-22-22, 10:16 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Both of those were from the last-gen Quattroporte, and that's one of the most elegant, discrete flagship sedans ever made. Also helps that those port holes are real.

The A8 and S-Class have enormous in-your-face grilles. Obviously toned down compared to the new 7 Series, but still quite a bit of bling.

The A8's subtlety comes more from the fact that it's way closer to an A6 than any of the German flagships are to their midsize counterparts.
Definitely IMO. Grille or not it has been always a symbol of bling IMO. Not sure how much more is needed to be "in your face". And the Quattroporte is so subtle that I didn't even think it would cost that much. I remember seeing one post about luxury cars from this guy... He gave names to all the brands, and for Maserati... it's "I don't know what to do" luxury brand.
Old 04-22-22, 10:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You're focusing on just the grille. EVERY car has a huge grille today. Camrys have huge grills. Hyundais have huge grilles, Hondas have huge grilles. So just saying that a car has a huge grille and that makes it "flashy" doesn't really make sense today.

This is a very conservative car in 2022:

Plus the grille on that Maserati was not small, and compared to other cars of its era is quite big and flashy.
Old 04-22-22, 11:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

‘This Maserati is super DULL. There are many other flagships that are more appealing from the exterior
Old 04-22-22, 11:09 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

You're focusing on just the grille. EVERY car has a huge grille today. Camrys have huge grills. Hyundais have huge grilles, Hondas have huge grilles. So just saying that a car has a huge grille and that makes it "flashy" doesn't really make sense today.

This is a very conservative car in 2022:

Totally agree but oh but it's so damn beautiful though, W223 has really grown on me. I see more of these than past generations (at least at this juncture, age wise) around here which is an interesting observation.
Old 04-22-22, 11:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Totally agree but oh but it's so damn beautiful though, W223 has really grown on me. I see more of these than past generations (at least at this juncture, age wise) around here which is an interesting observation.
‘Same here. Really nice car. Interior has too much screen. But the exterior is sharp. The door handles are nice too
Old 04-22-22, 12:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Its grown on me a lot too, I still don't love all the screens inside but I would totally get one when my lease is up.
Old 04-22-22, 12:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I also don't think the LS/LC are flashy but many have said they think it is so......I am in agreement with you but the current LS is a no go for me for the same reasons it was for you.

The S8 is really interesting, in full comfort it's VERY compliant and isolated but at the literal flip of the switch it goes very close to Porsche in everything but actual weight. Both the V8 A8 and S8 do this trick quite well.....the D5s are just better at the "mild" mode vs the D4s having a preference for "wild" as I have mentioned before with some of the NVH complaints I have with mine. I do not think however it will be as good as your non-AMG full S-class in some ways, hard to say for sure but I know you prioritize isolation and the "glide" and I would say any of the A8s transmit a little more info than you might want even in full soft. I would say try it out and see what you think, the speed on the D5 is insane. Sub 3 0-60 sec for guys with a tune on pump gas

The peak of subtle is my 460. THAT is how to do a low key flagship, even the 10-12 is more in your face with the flatter grille and more aggressive lights/body lines. Hell it's so subtle it crosses into nondescript.....and I love it since you draw ZERO attention when you are moving a bit faster than you probably should. Same deal with my D4, actually had people get pulled over multiple times when we were both going about the same speed since the other guys had "fast" looking cars vs mine. There is no way the old man cars were going fast too after all.....

Last edited by Striker223; 04-22-22 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-22-22, 12:38 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Striker223
The S8 is really interesting, in full comfort it's VERY compliant and isolated but at the literal flip of the switch it goes very close to Porsche in everything but actual weight. Both the V8 A8 and S8 do this trick quite well.....the D5s are just better at the "mild" mode vs the D4s having a preference for "wild" as I have mentioned before with some of the NVH complaints I have with mine. I do not think however it will be as good as your non-AMG full S-class in some ways, hard to say for sure but I know you prioritize isolation and the "glide" and I would say any of the A8s transmit a little more info than you might want even in full soft. I would say try it out and see what you think, the speed on the D5 is insane. Sub 3 0-60 sec for guys with a tune on pump gas
For what it's worth, I think the D5 S8 has the best ride/handling balance out of these executive sedans (per my preference). I absolutely loved that aspect of the car. Makes me wonder what BMW will bring with the M760i and Mercedes with the upcoming S63.
Old 04-22-22, 12:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
For what it's worth, I think the D5 S8 has the best ride/handling balance out of these executive sedans (per my preference). I absolutely loved that aspect of the car. Makes me wonder what BMW will bring with the M760i and Mercedes with the upcoming S63.
I don't have anything but agreement with this. Audi usually is the best drivers car lol!

Quick Reply: 2023 BMW i7