Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Lincoln Brand Turns 100.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22 | 11:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, today's Nautilus is quite different from the Edge, despite a common link to a basic platform. Totally different interiors (much better-quality materials now in the Lincoln), different exteriors up front, and a lot more sound insulation in the Lincoln. And that was my point.....today's Lincolns are actually worthy of the nameplate, although I'll admit that one can argue that the 2017-2020 Continental, at least under the skin, probably wasn't differentiated enough from the FWD-platform Taurus. But the interior and body styling was vasty-better done than the Taurus.
Its exactly the same vehicle as the one you posted is the point. You referenced that as being an example of a "rebadged Ford" and that they don't make vehicles like that anymore, and they still make that specific vehicle. Its has a new dashboard and a new front end, but its the same vehicle otherwise.
Old 03-17-22 | 11:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its exactly the same vehicle as the one you posted is the point. You referenced that as being an example of a "rebadged Ford" and that they don't make vehicles like that anymore, and they still make that specific vehicle. Its has a new dashboard and a new front end, but its the same vehicle otherwise.

Have you sampled both, and still feel that the Nautilus is a rebadge and doesn't drive much different?

I'll agree that basic body shape is similar...they didn't redesign much aft of the windshield. I suspect that is because the development of the new Navigator, Aviator, and Corsair took so much development money.
Old 03-17-22 | 11:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Have you sampled both, and still feel that the Nautilus is a rebadge and doesn't drive much different?

I'll agree that basic body shape is similar...they didn't redesign much aft of the windshield. I suspect that is because the development of the new Navigator, Aviator, and Corsair took so much development money.
Its the same car, its just a mid cycle refresh and they changed the name. You're the one who said it was a rebadge, not me.
Old 03-17-22 | 11:22 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
Do any new Lincolns currently have their own bespoke platform? As far as I can see everything is still taken from Ford.
The Aviator has its own platform that ford borrowed for the newest explorer, it was cut down after they figured it out/made it to also be used for the explorer but it was originally made by and intended for Lincoln. It was the first time ford allowed them to do what they wanted instead of dictating they must use an existing platform
Old 03-17-22 | 11:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting, I didn't know that...makes sense though as why the Explorer suddenly went RWD
Old 03-17-22 | 11:26 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The Nautilus is definitely an edge when you drive it, softer and more damped sure but it drives the same in the end. Interior is better and actually I think it's fairly nice, it's too small for my uses/tastes an SUV though and can't contend with cars ride and speed wise.
Old 03-17-22 | 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Its the same car, its just a mid cycle refresh and they changed the name. You're the one who said it was a rebadge, not me.
OK, maybe I could have used a better term. The true rebadges are in the past.

Anyhow, getting back to topic, perhaps the best birthday present Lincoln could receive (if possible) on its Century-Birthday would be some true stand-alone dealerships. In my local area, although the big modern Ted Britt Ford/Lincoln dealership in Chantilly is very nice (Steve, I know you've seen it)....Ourisman Ford/Lincoln, down in Alexandria, on Route 1 near the Potomac River, is more or less a dump, even by Ford standards.
Old 03-17-22 | 11:32 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Interesting, I didn't know that...makes sense though as why the Explorer suddenly went RWD
Yep, that's exactly why that happened. It looks quite modern underneath and has some advanced features/materials geometry going on that I do not normally ever see from ford. In this case the explorers got to benefit from a higher end platform vs forcing Lincoln to use a low end one and "figuring out how to make it work" for their upscale brand.